Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

MUP passing etiquette

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

MUP passing etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-18, 02:11 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
I can think of no reason anyone wants to walk on a busy mup with their groceries.
I can think of no reason anyone wants to ride on a road, with or without groceries.

We have met the enemy, and they are us.

-mr. bill
Old 05-05-18, 02:38 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by CB HI
Much as they build freeways, highways and surface streets for different speeds of travels.
Most miles of roads in this country allow the following traffic:
Commercial motor traffic.
Non-commercial motor traffic.
Bicyclists.
Pedestrians.
Horses. (Livestock too.)

Some limitted-access roads and paths don’t.

We have all of the above here.

So just what IS your point?

-mr. bill

Old 05-05-18, 09:01 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

Most miles of roads in this country allow the following traffic:
Commercial motor traffic.
Non-commercial motor traffic.
Bicyclists.
Pedestrians.
Horses. (Livestock too.)

Some limitted-access roads and paths don’t.

We have all of the above here.

So just what IS your point?

-mr. bill
Seems your point is that only motorist are deserving of specific designs to allow for their most expeditious travel.

You wish to deny cyclist exclusive bike paths designed for their most expeditious travel.
Old 05-05-18, 09:27 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts

I can think of no reason anyone wants to ride on a road, with or without groceries.

We have met the enemy, and they are us.

-mr. bill
Not ride, walk. Why do you walk on a mup when there is a million better places to walk, including if you go to grocery store.
Old 05-05-18, 11:51 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by UniChris
Why, in your thinking, is it termed a "MUP" and not a "bike path" ?

Someone walking on a MUP does need to be aware of cycle traffic - it would be good to be in the mindset of "country road" and not "sidewalk".

But responsibly walking is also within the uses envisioned by the organizations that applied the term MUP to paths they create/maintain.
There's usually a bike path in the MUP, for starters. I don't object to the idea of a MUP in principle, but looking at the videos posted of the MUP in question it is rather bizarre that anyone would even want to walk on it. Let alone pushing strollers along it. It's obviously dangerous to peds and nigh useless for bicycles.

mr bill claims he walks on the MUP with his groceries. This seems even more strange. Is this really possibly the most convenient route for shopping your groceries?

If a MUP is so clogged it is little more than a walking trail, then it makes more sense for it to stop being a MUP and start being a walking trail or bike only trail. Heavy foot traffic and bicycles and horses don't really go together. And are the awful MUPs genuinely the least ugly places to walk in massachussettes? Even here in nevada there are infinitely better spots to walk and jog all over the city, and really good ones not far outside of it.
Old 05-06-18, 01:14 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Seems your point is that only motorist are deserving of specific designs to allow for their most expeditious travel.

You wish to deny cyclist exclusive bike paths designed for their most expeditious travel.
It sounds like his point was to seek information from you via a question to understand what your earlier post meant. I have tried the same thing without success. Looks like you'd prefer to keep whatever you meant a secret.
Old 05-06-18, 08:27 AM
mr_bill

Uh, absolutely not.

Let's break this down:

I DRIVE, RIDE and WALK on roads that are shared with commercial motor traffic, non-commercial motor traffic, bicyclists, pedestrians, and equestrians.

I DRIVE on roads that are shared with commercial motor traffic and non-commercial motor traffic, but bicyclists, pedestrians, and equestrians are prohibited.
I don't RIDE or WALK on these roads.

I DRIVE on roads that are shared with commercial light trucks and cars, and non-commercial motor traffic, but bicyclists, pedestrians, and equestrians are prohibited.
I don't RIDE or WALK on these roads.

I RIDE and WALK on paths shared with bicyclists, pedestrians, and equestrians, but motor traffic is prohibited.
I don't DRIVE on these paths.

I RIDE a bike and WALK on paths shared with bicyclists and pedestrians, but motor traffic and equestrians are prohibited.
I don't DRIVE or RIDE a horse on these paths.

I RIDE a bike on paths for bicyclists, but motor traffic, pedestrians and equestrians are prohibited.
I don't DRIVE or WALK or RIDE a horse on these paths.

I WALK on paths for pedestrians, but motor traffic, bicyclists and equestrians are prohibited.
I don't DRIVE or RIDE on those paths.

IF *YOU* DON'T WANT TO DRIVE, RIDE OR WALK ON ONE OF THESE ROADS OR PATHS, DON'T!
IF *YOU* DO WANT TO DRIVE, RIDE OR WALK ON ONE OF THESE ROADS OR PATHS, DO!

It's really that simple.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-06-18 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Horses. (Livestock too.)
Imagine of they were to take the lane.

Old 05-06-18, 09:22 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Imagine of they were to take the lane.

Don’t have to imagine, in Ireland they often do take the lane. If you are driving a car, you yield. If you are riding a bike, you yield. If you are walking, you yield.

-mr. bill
Old 05-06-18, 10:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
IKR. Goats crossing my path in Andalucia, Spain. Lots of goats.

Old 05-06-18, 02:00 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
As the OP and since this has gone way off the original topic allow me to relate for you my very recent experience, like 20 minutes ago.

I was heading North on the IHT just about to Walden rd. I was going to turn left towards home and saw a group of cyclists coming toward me on the street parallel to the MUP. I stuck out my left hand and turned and yelled as they turned to their right and suddenly I was in their group. I thought this was pretty fun so I yelled “pick it up boys. Too slow”. Some laughter but in my immediate vision was a couple fat guys in front of me. Ewe. I kept up the pace for about 10 yards and then turned right off onto my street. One of the group yelled out “clear!”

Good reminder of why I don’t do group rides. Is that what you guys really do? Reminds me of the time in South Africa when our jeep was surrounded by a huge heard of wildebeast. Lots of movement and noise and blowing.
Old 05-07-18, 06:16 AM
PoorBob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
MUPs? More like MIP, Multiple Ignorant People is what you are likely to come across.

Every time I use the MUPs around the city I am going to see all of the following.

1.. People walking 3-4 wide
2.. Lance Armstrong.... Or a look alike trying to get a KOM while avoiding running over a child by inches
3.. A nice dog with a bad owner ( no leash)
4. . A lot of people following the rules and enjoying the MUP.

Around here we have a good problem, people are really starting to take advantage of MUPs... Now time to find funding to expand widen etc etc etc

Last edited by PoorBob; 05-07-18 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-07-18, 06:30 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by PoorBob
Every time I use the MUPs around the city I am going to see all of the following.
4.. A lot of people following the rules and enjoying the MUP.

Around here we have a good problem, people are really starting to take advantage of MUPs... Now time to find funding to expand widen etc etc etc
People.

People walking.
People running.
People on bikes.
People on roller blades.
People pushing strollers.
People using canes.
People using walkers.
People in wheelchairs.
People on long boards.
People riding hand cycles.
People with dogs on short leashes.

People.

Good people.
Happy people.

People.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-14-18 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 06:58 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
What's your point?
Old 05-07-18, 08:41 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
OP, to try and stick to your original questions, I use MUPs the majority of the time on casual rides as well as on my commute to and from work when I ride. My city has a lot of MUPs and is adding more. In 2013 the revised the City Bike Ordinance and since that time they have done a pretty good job on education of the trails. About two weeks ago they put out new signage along the most congested section reminding people of who has the right of way, dog's, speed limits, etc.

The ordinance basically says that bikes should either ring a bell or provide an audible alert to pedestrians when making a pass. What I observe and myself do is if I am overtaking a single person or couple as long as they are on the right side of the trail and I can safely pass with enough room then I tend not to ring or say passing. If I am coming up on three abreast then yes, I ring because at that point I can't safely pass without them moving over a little. I also will ring if coming up on a single walker or jogger if they are in the middle of the trail. I ring because they seem to hear it better than me yelling out on your left, my voice just doesn't carry that well.

I would say the majority of the MUP users are following the general rules and that it is more the exception that we have people walking down the wrong side or taking up the middle of the trails. What I do find is that some sections of the MUP have a center line and people tend to honor that line but in the areas without a painted line, they tend to drift.
Old 05-07-18, 04:52 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
"Trail users keep right"...
Or sometimes "You need to keep right."
Every so often, "Leash your dog please."
If there is a lot of cyclists that need to be warned, sometimes I'll yell "Loose dog" or "Negligent dog owner"

It's pointless to discuss it with them, but if they keep getting the same thing yelled at them, maybe it'll sink in.

Only one single time did I come to a complete stop and grab the bridge railing effectively blocking the pedestrians path through the bollards and tell them that "Ya'll need to keep right. Ya'lls keepin' left presents a dangerous situation. Rules is rules." They said they genuinely didn't know. I wasn't surprised, but they moved to the proper side of the trail. In this particular situation they really ligitimately did present a hazard on a constriction on a bridge, going down hill.

Would I recommend a confrontation? No. Is it ok to say trail usage rules while passing? Yes. Would citing poetry or selected Sci-fi shorts be acceptable? Absolutely. There is a guy locally that sings his heart out. I see no difference.
Old 05-07-18, 09:14 PM
PoorBob

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
What do you yell at cyclist that are being unsafe?
Old 05-07-18, 10:20 PM
Oneder
Banned.

They're too busy shouting to hear you.
Old 05-08-18, 01:27 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
As the OP and since this has gone way off the original topic allow me to relate for you my very recent experience, like 20 minutes ago.

I was heading North on the IHT just about to Walden rd. I was going to turn left towards home and saw a group of cyclists coming toward me on the street parallel to the MUP. I stuck out my left hand and turned and yelled as they turned to their right and suddenly I was in their group. I thought this was pretty fun so I yelled “pick it up boys. Too slow”. Some laughter but in my immediate vision was a couple fat guys in front of me. Ewe. I kept up the pace for about 10 yards and then turned right off onto my street. One of the group yelled out “clear!”

Good reminder of why I don’t do group rides. Is that what you guys really do? Reminds me of the time in South Africa when our jeep was surrounded by a huge heard of wildebeast. Lots of movement and noise and blowing.
People having fun, how disgusting.
Old 05-09-18, 11:32 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
reminds of a bumper sticker I saw. "If you don't like the way I'm driving, GET OFF THE SIDEWALK"
Old 05-09-18, 03:13 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorBob
What do you yell at cyclist that are being unsafe?
Recently I yelled “hang up and ride” to a guy holding a phone while riding. Also “you could say something”. That one after getting buzzed by a racer wannabe in a place where I was dodging potholes. And now that you got me going, there was the recent occasion when a clump of riders was blocking the MUP maybe waiting for stragglers or something. “Do you have to hold your meetings right in the middle of the trail?” The one that usually gets a laugh is when there is a group of stroller moms “is this a race?”

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 05-09-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 11:07 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That reminds me a little of the elevated train scheme in Los Colinas, Texas (suburb of Irving Texas) that I saw in around 1990. High density corporate offices. It had, or was intended to eventually have, concentric rings I think, little train cars taking you anywhere in the developed area quickly above the traffic. They also had some canal boats and a system of walkways. I thought the pie in the sky expense of it - maybe $40 million already and only about a mile completed - could never possibly be justified by people moving from one office building to another, but it was a really cool Jetson-style concept. I think it's long been abandoned, but retro-fit it as a walkway and maybe bike-share, and it would be like that Chinese concept on a smaller scale.
When I worked in the area a few years back, they had shuttle buses on the parts that had already been built, but no plans to expand it at all.
Old 05-12-18, 03:09 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Don’t have to imagine, in Ireland they often do take the lane. If you are driving a car, you yield. If you are riding a bike, you yield. If you are walking, you yield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYylWPHUhFk

-mr. bill
When I lived in Italia, I would frequently encounter herds of sheep on the rural roads that I rode. They would generally part way for me so no real drama. Occasionally though, I would meet a blockade of water buffalo. The way they eyed me always unnerved me as I made my way through the herd.
Old 05-13-18, 03:06 PM
mr_bill

How inconsiderate! Two grocery bags on a MUP. Inconceivable!

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-13-18 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-13-18, 06:51 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Two paper bags on a wet day. Very inconsiderate when they spill open right as a cyclist is passing.

How inconsiderate! Two grocery bags on a MUP. Inconceivable!

-mr. bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.