Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Budget high visibility/reflective gear

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 05:50 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Pictured is the back of the tank and the sleeve of the shirt.

Academy sports has a line of high visability running gear for women under their BCG brand. I believe they have a few men’s pieces too. I got a tank top a few weeks ago and a long sleeve shirt last fall. I’m training for a sprint tri right now and have to leave the house around 5 am, I wear the long sleeved top over the tank, and take it off once I get to the park where I run. I think everything is under $20.
Old 06-13-18, 07:11 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Sure, if you're interested in style. Otherwise a high-visibility reflective safety vest from Harbor Freight is about $5, and it ill go over anything you wear. I've been wearing a reflective "V" sash. About $2.50 from Harbor Freight 10-years ago. Again, no points for style in my case.

No matter how good or inexpensive today's lighting is, one still needs reflectivity, even if only as a back-up. And a top like you've pictured should really stand out and keep one safe(r).
Old 06-13-18, 07:56 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Look in the working person's aisle in your local W-Mart, a wide selection of T-shirts, safety vests and other apparel in approved "work-site safety colors" made with wicking fabric for hot working conditions at far lower prices than dedicated "athletic" or cycling kit. Not something I'd don for a pace-line ride but for an early morning trip to the grocery in commuting traffic? Sure.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 06-13-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-13-18, 08:16 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Arrow-S...s/322285690922

Shipping is on the slow boat, but 10m for $12 is plenty to do a lot of shirts, shorts, gloves, etc.

3-4 inches on the back of each sleeve is pretty visible.
Shorts generally get about 4" each side horizontally just below the waistband, just behind the outer seams.
Riding pants get about 6" vertical at the outside of the cuff on each side.
Put a strip inside the cuffs of pants so you can turn them up for instant reflective ankle bands.
I put a few strips on the back of my belts so I can use one as a makeshift reflective sash if I have to walk somewhere at night.
Some shoes will also take this stuff pretty well.
Old 06-13-18, 11:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Look in the working person's aisle in your local W-Mart, a wide selection of T-shirts, safety vests and other apparel in approved "work-site safety colors" made with wicking fabric for hot working conditions at far lower prices than dedicated "athletic" or cycling kit. Not something I'd don for a pace-line ride but for an early morning trip to the grocery in commuting traffic? Sure.

-Bandera
Yes, I often wear brightly colored yellow, green, or orange neon moisture-wicking workout shirts from Walmart on my morning rides. While they're not reflective, I do have a lot of reflective tape and lights on my bike, so I'm hopeful the bright colors show up in car headlights in the dark or twilight of dawn. Certainly better than wearing black or asphalt grey. I got them in the athletic clothes section of Walmart, they seem to have them every spring & summer.
Old 06-14-18, 02:50 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yes, I often wear brightly colored yellow, green, or orange neon moisture-wicking workout shirts from Walmart on my morning rides. While they're not reflective, I do have a lot of reflective tape and lights on my bike, so I'm hopeful the bright colors show up in car headlights in the dark or twilight of dawn. Certainly better than wearing black or asphalt grey. I got them in the athletic clothes section of Walmart, they seem to have them every spring & summer.
Watch for them to be really cheap in fall. I picked up a few of the better ones for $2.50 each a couple years ago. About every other year, I put a bit more of the iron-on reflective on to replace bits that have come off through multiple washings. (Always plan to press it again after the first and second washing. After that, it'll generally lose a few bits in areas that stretch or rub a lot, but the majority of it will stay on for years.)
Old 06-14-18, 07:13 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Safety shirts, safety clothing, safety vests , reflective shirts, safety jackets, Traffic Safety Gloves

this $8 on sale right now:
Pocket T-Shirt 'Moisture-Wick' ANSI Compliant