Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why is it so hard to charge motorists with murdering cyclists?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why is it so hard to charge motorists with murdering cyclists?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 03:09 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I think this may be a cultural thing. The majority of gun owners don't live within the city limits of a municipality like you describe, and simply do not have as many high penalty firearms laws as where you live.
Actually, I'd be willing to bet the majority do live in cities, and every incorporated city over a few hundred population that I'm aware of has an ordinance prohibiting shooting inside the city limits. Most states also consider a shot that crosses a public road to be prima facie evidence of recklessness. Additionally, in any built up area, a negligent discharge can net a deadly conduct charge. That would be why so many of us with access to rural land tend to host various shooters who want to practice something the nearest ranges aren't set up for.

I've lived all over the US, and just don't find your views on the subject universally applicable.
Well, maybe if you could avoid getting run out of town long enough to really get familiar with an area, you'd find out that the vast majority of American gun owners don't shoot in their yards because it would be unsafe and/or illegal; the known likely consequences far outweigh the convenience.
Old 06-17-18, 03:39 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Actually, I'd be willing to bet the majority do live in cities, and every incorporated city over a few hundred population that I'm aware of has an ordinance prohibiting shooting inside the city limits. Most states also consider a shot that crosses a public road to be prima facie evidence of recklessness. Additionally, in any built up area, a negligent discharge can net a deadly conduct charge. That would be why so many of us with access to rural land tend to host various shooters who want to practice something the nearest ranges aren't set up for.

Well, maybe if you could avoid getting run out of town long enough to really get familiar with an area, you'd find out that the vast majority of American gun owners don't shoot in their yards because it would be unsafe and/or illegal; the known likely consequences far outweigh the convenience.
Again, I don't think your idea that gun owners generally live in fear of prosecution is much of a factor in their attitudes toward safety. Also, you may be surprised to find how many people don't live in a city.

But thank you for the stern warning against broad experience. When you only spend 5-10 years in a place, you probably don't know what's going on, right?
Old 06-18-18, 03:33 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Again, I don't think your idea that gun owners generally live in fear of prosecution is much of a factor in their attitudes toward safety. Also, you may be surprised to find how many people don't live in a city.
Just under 20% don't live in incorporated cities. Since 42% live in households with guns, even if every person living outside a city had a gun, there would still be more gun owners living in cities.
Old 06-18-18, 12:20 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Just under 20% don't live in incorporated cities. Since 42% live in households with guns, even if every person living outside a city had a gun, there would still be more gun owners living in cities.
I've known lots of gun owners. None of them ever expressed fear of prosecution as motivation to handle their guns in any particular way. I think it's a silly idea.
Old 06-22-18, 01:27 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Is this a bike or a gun thread?
Old 06-22-18, 03:08 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Is this a bike or a gun thread?
It is a thread about the effectiveness of legal punishments in coercing changes in behavior for people using dangerous machinery. Gun laws seems a reasonable parallel since there really isn't anything besides cars and guns that are so heavily regulated but commonly owned.
Old 06-22-18, 05:35 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Gun talk? Really? Is this P&R now?

Closed.