Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Heat Wave

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Heat Wave

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 05:00 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Heat Wave

In parts of the Mid-West and East, there is a nasty Heat Wave going on. What is the weather like where you are at and how are you able to ride in that very hot weather?
Old 07-03-18, 07:19 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
What is the weather like where you are at
101F...at 8:15PM

and how are you able to ride in that very hot weather?
I mash the pedals and the bike goes, same as always.
Old 07-03-18, 11:18 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Low to mid 50's in the morning when I leave my house at 5 AM, I wear shorts, 2 acrylic quick dry moisture wicking tea shirts and a long sleeved shirt on top but then sun comes up shortly halfway in around mile 8 or 9 of my commute and it warms up a bit and I slow down so not to get too hot before getting to work, going home at 4:30 PM all this week and past couple days, high 70's to mid 80's dry very low humidity but often and sometimes very windy, I just fill my hydration pack with 2 chilled regular water bottles and I ride home as fast as I can, sipping chilled cool water keeps me cool from inside and prevents my throat getting dry while breathing volumes of hot warm dry air hard and fast, we also have mild winters around here maybe a few inches of snow if any, so yes nice out around here and don't ask where?, we'd like to keep it a secret, .... :-)
Old 07-04-18, 09:45 AM
Miramooke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a relatively short commute but have always found it way easier to bike than walk in this hot weather. Indeed, yesterday I had to walk to work because I needed a new tire, and I was a sweaty mess. Biking creates its own breeze and is so much faster.

I hydrate, take the side roads which offer more shade, wear sunscreen, and it all works out great.
Old 07-04-18, 10:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You get used to it. I have access to showers at work, but I rarely need it if I take it easy in the mornings (mid-70's, riding in shaded areas). The home leg, honestly the heat and humidity doesn't really bother me. I suit up, shower and change at home, just like any other workout.
Old 07-04-18, 10:45 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
i dont ride quite as hard when its hot like it is now. of course i am not real fast anyway.
Old 07-04-18, 03:18 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
In Western Wisconsin, we've maxed out with temperatures in the high 90s, dew points in the mid 70s, and heat indices around 110-115. I commuted 16 miles RT for a full year on the Gulf Coast of Alabama - comparatively, the occasional little heat wave is nothin'

Generally, my strategy is to pre-hydrate, embrace the sweat, replace electrolytes, and wipe down afterward. Clothing changes are often advisable, dependent on distance. Witch hazel is my favorite thing ever for quickly dealing with funk (and I start smelling funky just looking outside).
Old 07-04-18, 10:18 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Yeah, ugh. 35 mi on trails in 95F 98 heat index 74f dew point misery yesterday. I was pretty quick the first half lowed way down the second and hit the wall at 35 mi. Bottles of water and Gatorade + electrolytes from energy gel. This was just a ride, not a commute day, as I was on vacation Chicagoland.
Old 07-05-18, 09:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I'm OK in it. It's been getting up to about 95ºF (37ºC) here. I sweat a lot. On Tuesday, I shut the door to my office and took my clothes off and ran witch hazel over my body with a paper towel. It worked great. My sweat stopped quickly, and I was dry and cool. I was going to put my shirt back on, which I usually do, but then I saw how drenched it was, so I put on one of the spare shirts I keep in my office. By the time I was dressed again, no one could tell I had just been sweating profusely. It's funny because I feel fine when I'm on the bike. Lucky for me my workplace building is overchilled. Well, it's pretty ridiculous because sometimes I have to wear a sweater in side while there's a heatwave outside. But at least I don't look like a sweat hog.

Witch hazel is great stuff. It's a mild astringent but it has a natural oil in it, and it doesn't dry the skin. It's much better than alcohol.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-05-18, 01:26 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
gotta find a shady trail. keep expectations low. have a plan in case the ride plan is too optimistic. have a cool plan for after the ride, as-in jump under some water

edit: oh I see this is a commuter thread. wear less clothing. stop & rest in the shade. carry extra water & pour it over your head thru your helmet vents & over your back & neck
Old 07-06-18, 10:41 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
gotta find a shady trail. keep expectations low. have a plan in case the ride plan is too optimistic. have a cool plan for after the ride, as-in jump under some water

edit: oh I see this is a commuter thread. wear less clothing. stop & rest in the shade. carry extra water & pour it over your head thru your helmet vents & over your back & neck
Yep, that's what I did yesterday during my 20 km commute back home in 35C (44C heat index). Does help.
Old 07-06-18, 11:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
It hasn't been really hot here, stopping 5-7 degrees short of the "hot" 100 degree mark. That's just average summer weather. The humidity is the problem, reminiscent of 10 years or so ago when we went a month without the temperature dropping below 80 at night, with a heavy dew every morning.

Commuting is OK, even so. Park the bike, grab the panniers, dash inside, cool off, shower (at work) or wipe down with rubbing alcohol/water, and change into dry clothes. Extending the commute is the tough part; I'm conditioned for 50 minutes, but adding another half hour (or more) turns me into a dripping mess. That means spraying bug repellent on and sitting out on the porch until I stop dripping sweat, then cowering inside the A/C for the rest of the day.

We'll usually get a front come through every week or two to cool things down for a couple days, but this summer has seemed like thunderstorms every afternoon. The one time a cold front came through, it turned around as a warm front the next day and heated things right back up. Another cold front is due today or tomorrow, maybe that'll drop the temperatures 5-10 degrees for TWO days.

Maybe.
Old 07-06-18, 12:09 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I've been fine during this heat wave...

Of course my bike has been in the shop because I blew out my bottom bracket...but the air conditioning in my car is working well so this heat wave has been a non issue for me.

(Guy at the shop said on Saturday he needed to order the part. I could either wait until today to get it with their regular order or I could pay $13 for shipping and have the bike back on Tuesday. It's 101 this week with humidity at 90%+. I said Friday was fine and saved the $13)
Old 07-06-18, 06:39 PM
Buddha2499

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Atlanta it has been drippy-humid in the mid 90s since the beginning of June, and will stay that way til the end of August. Today I road home in a thunderstorm, it felt so good after the week of heat.

In in the south, the heat comes on gradually late spring and then just stays super hot for months. That gives me a little time to build up to the summer, so I get used to it by now. 9 mile ride in the afternoon, I take my time and hydrate, no big deal.

For those of of you who haven’t been living in 90+ degrees everyday for months, take care. Being blasted with this heat when you aren’t used to it is hard. Good luck.
Old 07-08-18, 02:56 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
...On Tuesday, I shut the door to my office and took my clothes off and ran witch hazel over my body with a paper towel...
Go on...

It's hotter than heck here... I beat the heat by sticking to side streets away from those cagers and their heat pumping exhaust boxes. I give myself enough time for my commute (12 mi) in the morning so that I'm not working too hard. I used to bring a change of clothes and take a cat bath, but nowadays I prefer to just wear my slacks and shirt to keep it simple. Sure I'm a bit sweaty but most of us are this time of year. Going home? Well that's the sticky bit, for one its up-hill and for another the pavement has been baking all day so it's very much like standing in front of blast furnace (not something I've done, but I imagine is uncomfortably warm ). So I take it slow, see if there's something to do downtown and maybe spend the hottest part of the day having a drink. Around 8 pm the sun is low enough to not burn and the cagers have finished with their grid-lock and I'm the weirdo in slacks hunched over his aero-bars in the twilight.

Honestly, I don't do laundry that often because my clothes don't stink and since I stopped using deodorant my shirts aren't getting sweat stained either! I know, I know, "No deodorant! PEEE-YEW!!" but the wife doesn't seem to mind so I'm not concerned!

If my commute were greater, I'd go back to wearing the spandex, but for now I can deal.

Also, hydration is key for keeping your BO down, I'm convinced!
Old 07-08-18, 04:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I don't wear deodorant, either. No one has complained. I know I'm not a totally impartial judge, but I don't think I have a strong odor.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-08-18, 06:11 PM
Keiffith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My commute is a short one mile, but I work in a non AC shop. Temps are usually 10* F higher than outdoors in most areas. I stand in areas around machines that are about 110* to 115* F when it's 85* outside.

So I don't worry about showers or pushing it too hard, since I'm going to be a smelly mess anyway.
Old 07-08-18, 07:01 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't wear deodorant, either. No one has complained. I know I'm not a totally impartial judge, but I don't think I have a strong odor.
You would be the worst judge. Ask those around you.
Old 07-08-18, 07:09 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the first year I have changed clothes before a ride. The morning ride is tolerable. I'm fine wearing jean's on my short commute. The afternoon has been another story. It has been so bad I've started packing shorts and changing before the ride home. Much more pleasant.
Old 07-08-18, 07:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by KraneXL
I’ve asked. No smell.

Old 07-09-18, 07:35 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
It gets hot here. My strategy is to drink cold water before the ride. Take a bottle of cold water with me. It's usually warm water within 5 mi. On a longer ride I can stop at convenience stores, usually, and get more cold liquids.

My other note is pay attention to yourself. If you're feeling lightheaded, dizzy, nauseous, etc. Find a cool place to rest. If you're out in the desert look for shade. For me, in town, it's a fast food place and a med fountain drink. If I don't feel better after 30 min call for a ride home.
Old 07-09-18, 07:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
As long as you're clean, and the clothes are laundered, there usually isn't much smell. The rank odor comes from bacteria living off the proteins produced by sweat from the armpits (etc). Bathed and freshly washed = hardly any bacteria = not much odor. Barring a metabolic disorder.
Old 07-09-18, 08:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
It gets hot here. My strategy is to drink cold water before the ride. Take a bottle of cold water with me. It's usually warm water within 5 mi. On a longer ride I can stop at convenience stores, usually, and get more cold liquids..
Polar insulate bottles help enormously. Fill it with ice, top up with water, it'll stay cool for an hour. (Yes, even in the Arizona desert!)
Old 07-09-18, 09:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by locolobo13
It gets hot here.
Crazy Wolf, your weather (Phoenix) was on the news here today. Or maybe it was the national news.

Old 07-09-18, 10:26 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Was 107 on Sat, but I got out in the morning for a trail ride before it got too hot. Unfortunately we have no AC for the house as our building is undergoing some construction. I grabbed a laptop and spent the afternoon in the public library enjoying free wifi and AC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.