Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GPS unit recommendation?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

GPS unit recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 01:44 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
When you are on a tour and you want to find a restaurant, a store, or an attraction:

With the Garmin cycling specific units, you can use your phone to search online for whatever location you need, and then immediately send that over Bluetooth to the GPS unit, which will then give you turn by turn callouts to get you there, including getting you back on track should you miss a turn. If you prefer to design your own route to the location instead of rely on the unit's built in routing, you can draw a route using whatever phone map app you prefer, and then similarly send that route to the GPS via Bluetooth.

It is incredibly handy for touring.
Thanks.

In the past I have found the Open Street maps list of businesses or whatever to be adequate for locating that sort of thing on my GPS when I load a map at home shortly before my trip so that the maps have the most up to date list.

But I can see where it could come in handy if you do not update your maps before a trip.
Old 11-12-23, 12:31 PM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
It looks like Garmin is currently discounting some of their bike tech, such as the Edge 1040 and Varia radar series, but not the Edge Explorer 2. Not yet anyway but Black Friday will be at the end of next week and there will probably also be an after-Christmas sale as well if you can be patient.

Around July 4th week I contemplated getting the Edge Explorer 2 myself for navigation when it went on sale for $50 off for the first time that I took notice of this.

Being cynical as I was, my first thought was that this may be because Garmin might be discontinuing Edge Explorer 2. I inquired about this here and was told that an occasional discount is quite normal for Garmin and doesn't necessarily mean anything else.

Anyway, someone suggested that I should create a spreadsheet for comparing the different Edge models. At first, this struck me as being ridiculous overkill but it did remind me to get rid of the tunnel-vision I was having, of either getting or not getting the Edge Explore 2, and see what my other options might be.

Turns out, by plain dumb luck, I found the Edge 1030 Plus being heavily discounted and I got it for $305 + tax.

I don't know what features that the Edge 1040 has that the 1030 Plus doesn't but the 1030 Plus does have a bigger screen and longer battery life than Edge Explore 2. My thinking was that, for my practical purposes, I was spending an extra $55 to essentially get an "Edge Explore 2XL".

The Edge 1030 Plus discount offer was very brief and went back up to full price not long after i pulled the trigger on my order and before i could post a message here giving a heads-up for anybody else who might have been interested. The $50 discount on the Edge Explore 2 did continue for a little while longer.

Be patient.

Last edited by estasnyc; 11-12-23 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-12-23, 02:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by estasnyc
It looks like Garmin is currently discounting some of their bike tech, such as the Edge 1040 and Varia radar series,

How do you know that ?
Old 11-12-23, 03:34 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
This thread keeps giving! Okay...I'll play.
I never understood the need for a Garmin. Just mount your smartphone on your stem and use Strava.
My setup uses a Quad Lock for the phone, with an accessory battery bar extension.
Got it on Amazon for less than twenty bucks. Both USB-A and USB-C plugs.
Never got around to buying a shorter cable. Someday will do it. lol
It keeps my phone 100% charged for five hours, with my screen full on the entire ride.
That blue-lit button allows me to turn off the charger, for whatever reason.
My attached integrated-battery headlight can likewise accept a charge or give out a charge.

Old 11-12-23, 05:49 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I never understood the need for a Garmin. Just mount your smartphone on your stem and use Strava.
My setup uses a Quad Lock for the phone, with an accessory battery bar extension.
It keeps my phone 100% charged for five hours, with my screen full on the entire ride.
My attached integrated-battery headlight can likewise accept a charge or give out a charge.

Christo613 If your primary issue with your current setup is battery life, this will work. I've been using a phone + charger/battery bank for bicycle and motorcycle trips for the past 15+ years. The biggest issue with a setup like this is rain; if water gets into your phones charging port, the phone won't charge.

Last edited by john m flores; 11-14-23 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-12-23, 05:59 PM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
How do you know that ?
See for yourself -
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/sport...er-headlights/

I should clarify that I have no inside knowledge about specific dates. Let's just say sooner or later.
Likes For estasnyc:
Old 11-12-23, 07:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by estasnyc
See for yourself -
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/sport...er-headlights/

I should clarify that I have no inside knowledge about specific dates. Let's just say sooner or later.
Could be 2 years out
Old 11-12-23, 08:02 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Be slightly careful where you buy your garmin from, I bought my edge explore from a Euro site for under 200 and, logically enough, it came with maps of the EU. Garmin doesn't seem to appreciate people saving money by buying from overseas and upcharges significantly for a US map. I ended up finding regional maps of the US that include more details than the garmin maps have so I upload those as needed and rides that use mapping to tell you where to go always have their own garmin file to download to it anyways so haven't needed the garmin US map. I do have had an updated map of Europe that been waiting to be downloaded for the last 5 years, hoping I get to use it next sept.

Just see rain as the main issue as someone else mentioned. I have never been someone who bothers with computers for general riding or heading off without caring where I'm going or how long I plan to take. So I only bother with computers when I'm doing something long distance or multi-day, in which case rain can be a significant issue and the phone has to be locked in a ziplock bag which won't work well with a handlebar holder. A garmin on the other hand doesn't seem to care about spending 2 hours riding through a warm summer rain to the camp site.
Old 11-12-23, 08:42 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Just see rain as the main issue as someone else mentioned. I have never been someone who bothers with computers for general riding or heading off without caring where I'm going or how long I plan to take. So I only bother with computers when I'm doing something long distance or multi-day, in which case rain can be a significant issue and the phone has to be locked in a ziplock bag which won't work well with a handlebar holder. A garmin on the other hand doesn't seem to care about spending 2 hours riding through a warm summer rain to the camp site.
Just trying to provide an option for the OP. He resides in Ottawa, so it could present an issue with rain.
I bought a clear "rain jacket" with my Quad Lock, which covers everything quite nicely.
Only used it a few times in inclement weather and it kept things dry.
In heavy rain, it becomes the least of my worries!
Old 11-13-23, 10:09 AM
Christo613

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The battery pack would actually work well, if they weren't so hefty. The ones I've seen were around 400g, and even then you only get a few phone charges.
This weekend, I actually got to try a Garmin Edge 530. It was steeply discounted at my LBS, and the guy suggested I take it home to play with it and return it if not happy. I was very unimpressed. The poor map made me feel like I was going back to playing Space Invaders after having known Skyrim. I tried every way I could to import my routes from RWGPS, which has fantastic maps, but wasn't able to.
I need this primarily for multiday bikepacking and cross-country ski trips. There's no way I'd want to be stuck in a blizzard trying to find the trail on this unit.
I don't need this for a couple more months, so will keep an eye out for the Explore 2
Likes For Christo613:
Old 11-13-23, 01:17 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Some phones are very hard to read in bright sunlight.

Even if I could see my phone in bright sun, it uses up power much faster than my GPS. For bike touring where I might not have access to an outlet for several days at a time, I want to be able to charge all my devices from a dynohub and I doubt that I could do that if I tried to use a phone instead of a GPS. Most of my tours are remote enough that I might go for over a week without access to an outlet.
Old 11-14-23, 06:16 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Christo613
The battery pack would actually work well, if they weren't so hefty. The ones I've seen were around 400g, and even then you only get a few phone charges.
This weekend, I actually got to try a Garmin Edge 530. It was steeply discounted at my LBS, and the guy suggested I take it home to play with it and return it if not happy. I was very unimpressed. The poor map made me feel like I was going back to playing Space Invaders after having known Skyrim. I tried every way I could to import my routes from RWGPS, which has fantastic maps, but wasn't able to.
I need this primarily for multiday bikepacking and cross-country ski trips. There's no way I'd want to be stuck in a blizzard trying to find the trail on this unit.
I don't need this for a couple more months, so will keep an eye out for the Explore 2
There's an energy cost for all the things you prefer about a phone - bigger, brighter, higher resolution screen, connectivity, etc. That cost can be mitigated by downloading maps and routes, using airplane mode, using Dark Mode (for OLED screens), and (the biggest battery drain of all) turning off the screen when you don't need it. The OSMand mapping app is supposed to do that automatically (working with your phone's energy saving mode) but I've never gotten it to work reliably.

On the last trip, I had the phone charging via a battery bank I stuffed in a feedbag. I just started researching rugged, weatherproof Android phones with large (10,000 mAh and more) batteries. I saw one that also had a large speaker - I enjoy some music once in a while - so I may try it out.

Whether or not this will work for you depends on how often you will have access to charging.
Old 11-14-23, 02:46 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Could be 2 years out
Garmin products are always discounted several times a year. They are currently discounted for Black Friday. The last time they were discounted was a summer sale at the beginning of July.

You don't have to wait 2 years.
Old 11-15-23, 01:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Christo613
Since I have only used general recreation GPS units, I do not know if or how to load alternative maps to a cycling GPS, or even if it is possible or not. In post number 4 above I listed two links for maps that I use for non-cycling GPS units. But one of them, I can't really explain how to get the maps from the site to my GPS, as I do not remember how I did it. But the BBB bike maps were pretty easy for me to load into my Garmin 64. NJKayaker knows how to use those sites, ask him if it works and how to.
Old 11-15-23, 03:23 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Since I have only used general recreation GPS units, I do not know if or how to load alternative maps to a cycling GPS, or even if it is possible or not. In post number 4 above I listed two links for maps that I use for non-cycling GPS units. But one of them, I can't really explain how to get the maps from the site to my GPS, as I do not remember how I did it. But the BBB bike maps were pretty easy for me to load into my Garmin 64. NJKayaker knows how to use those sites, ask him if it works and how to.
The Edges use the same maps that your unit does.

Copy the “img” file to the \Garmin folder on the device.

The Edges need the “Latin” maps (Unicode doesn’t work).

The alternative maps aren’t really going to look better than the maps that come with the device. Though, people might prefer different looks.

The bbbike site is a good source (there are other good sources too). I like having the option to create custom versions (bbbike provides custom regions).

https://extract.bbbike.org/

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-15-23 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 09:14 PM
Alphamoose

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Is the question here about loading a route onto an Edge device, or about changing the base map?
Loading a route is straightforward and supported by any of the Edge devices for the last ten years or so.
You export a .fit file from rwgps or whoever and copy it into the New Files folder on the Garmin device. Or else link the RideWithGps accounts with Garmin account and you just favorite the route on rwgps and over it goes.
Old 11-20-23, 06:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my Explore 2 purchased direct from Garmin. They were good to me and my running gps watches.

wrt the phone on the handle bar as a gps, mine does not work worth a darn in the rain or last very long and I only need the gps on long rides in unfamiliar territory.
Old 11-27-23, 05:58 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Be slightly careful where you buy your garmin from, I bought my edge explore from a Euro site for under 200 and, logically enough, it came with maps of the EU. Garmin doesn't seem to appreciate people saving money by buying from overseas and upcharges significantly for a US map. I ended up finding regional maps of the US that include more details than the garmin maps have so I upload those as needed and rides that use mapping to tell you where to go always have their own garmin file to download to it anyways so haven't needed the garmin US map. I do have had an updated map of Europe that been waiting to be downloaded for the last 5 years, hoping I get to use it next sept.
I bought my Edge Explore 2 here in China and of course it came with Chinese maps. But I switched them to maps of Canada for a trip there this past summer, and Garmin didn't charge me anything for those maps - I was able to download and install them through Garmin Express for free (and back to the Chinese maps when I returned to China after my holiday too).
Old 11-27-23, 08:00 PM
BK007

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Chemist
I bought my Edge Explore 2 here in China and of course it came with Chinese maps. But I switched them to maps of Canada for a trip there this past summer, and Garmin didn't charge me anything for those maps - I was able to download and install them through Garmin Express for free (and back to the Chinese maps when I returned to China after my holiday too).
That was exactly what I did ..
Can't go wrong with Garmin.