Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin 800 Battery Replacement ???

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 03:46 PM
Don777

Bikes: Cannondale R600 and Beater MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need to replace the battery in this Garmin 800. I have had the two minute warning in the last quarter of my life and I want this GPS to carry me through.

The switch in the lower right corner does not work and therefore, I cannot access the wrench, change the fields in the training pages, etc. The left button works well so I can scroll between the pages but I cannot change any of the fields.

The question is: When I replace the battery, will all of the fields within the training pages remain the same???

Thank you - Don
Old 12-28-23, 06:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Don777
I have had the two minute warning in the last quarter of my life and I want this GPS to carry me through.
???

Originally Posted by Don777
The question is: When I replace the battery, will all of the fields within the training pages remain the same???
It should retain that info. Take a picture (or use the screen capture) to remember the arrangement. (If it needs a battery, it's kinda moot whether the settings get saved.)
Old 12-28-23, 06:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

It should retain that info. Take a picture (or use the screen capture) to remember the arrangement. (If it needs a battery, it's kinda moot whether the settings get saved.)
But don't be surprised if it doesn't. I have had my 1040 scramble the data fields after a software update.
Old 12-29-23, 09:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
FWIW, I gave up on my 800 when the bottom right quadrant of the touchscreen became inoperable. I thought about opening it up to see if a solder joint had popped, but instead decided to replace it with a new unit. Despite my wishes to the contrary, I've decided bike GPSs are more like a tablet than one of the old mechanical IBM keyboards, so I figure I'll be lucky to get more than 5 years' use out of the GPS. The replacement is an Edge Explore 2. Though it's about half the cost of the flagship 1040, I figure it has everything I need and will probably last just as long as the more expensive model.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-29-23, 10:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Back when cell phones had replaceable batteries, I was never happy with them after making that first battery replacement. For whatever reason, the new battery still never seemed to hold a charge as long as it should.

You say it already has a function that no longer works and prevents you from getting to things that might be needed. Do yourself a favor and just get a new Garmin or a Wahoo or other GPS device.
Old 12-30-23, 06:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
There are different quality batteries, so it's not surprising that a replacement might not work as well. At one point there was a fairly thriving business in repairing 800s, but I suspect those people have moved on to repairing iphones.
So you're probably left with bottom-feeders in the 800 repair parts business. I probably would ask garmin what they could do for me.