Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cable tension question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cable tension question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 10:11 PM
Strosfan5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable tension question

Hi all - question regarding cable tension.

I noticed the tension on the FD when it is on the largest sprocket seems pretty stout. Really tight with respect to the tension on the RD when it is on the smallest sprocket.

The main reason I ask is that I wonder if this normal. It’s a 3x7 Shimano set up with EF41 shifters.

My assumption is that it most likely has to do with having 3 on the front (vs 2). I’ve tried to adjust barrel to release some tension but this takes away from its ability to make it onto the outside sprocket.

Rambling on here but more curious about differences in tension on FD and RD at its most tense point.
Old 12-28-19, 12:19 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
If you take a look at the cable at the FD, you'll see that when you are on the outside (larger chain ring), the shifter has pulled the cable to full tension to reach it. The inside chain ring (smallest) is at the no tension position.
RD is the same thing, size wise. Smallest cog no tension, largest cog- full tension
Old 12-28-19, 05:35 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Yes, that’s how derailers work.
Old 12-28-19, 06:24 AM
Strosfan5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand how the FD and RD work
but just questioning how tight the tension is on FD when it is on largest sprocket. I have checked to make sure there is no artificial resistance within the spring and the cable
path.

More than anything, I don’t want it to affect the longevity of the shifter internally and how it works, etc.

But it is what it is if the tension is normally pretty tight.
Old 12-28-19, 06:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Strosfan5
My assumption is that it most likely has to do with having 3 on the front (vs 2). I’ve tried to adjust barrel to release some tension but this takes away from its ability to make it onto the outside sprocket..
Barrel adjusters technically are "cable effective length" adjusters. Moving an adjuster doesn't create more or less tension,it makes the cable housing longer or shorter, thereby moving the derailleur in or out.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-28-19, 07:02 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Try this: Look at where your shift cable attaches to your front derailleur. Do you see a little finger that looks like it might be a cable guide? It's not a cable guide. In fact, the cable is designed to go OVER that little finger. That little bit of difference changes the leverage angle of the cable and greatly decreases the amount of cable tension that's necessary.
Old 12-28-19, 08:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Yes, IME the front derailleur operates at relatively higher tension than the rear. However, if the high limit is set too tight it can be harder to force the change to large ring.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 12-28-19 at 08:50 AM.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-28-19, 01:38 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Strosfan5

I noticed the tension on the FD when it is on the largest sprocket seems pretty stout. Really tight with respect to the tension on the RD when it is on the smallest sprocket.

The main reason I ask is that I wonder if this normal. It’s a 3x7 Shimano set up with EF41 shifters.

My assumption is that it most likely has to do with having 3 on the front (vs 2). I’ve tried to adjust barrel to release some tension but this takes away from its ability to make it onto the outside sprocket.

Rambling on here but more curious about differences in tension on FD and RD at its most tense point.
cable tension is a function of the derailleur spring - stiffer the spring, the tauter the cable. As with any spring, it gets “stiffer” the more it’s extended/compressed, so the derailleur cables will be tauter the further the derailleur moves from rest (toward large ring on the front, toward the large sprocket on the rear).
i usually adjust my cables so they’re pretty taut all the time - even at rest - so the first click or two isn’t spent picking up cable slack. I think of them as “guitar string tight”, although I know they’re not actually as taut as guitar strings. My derailleurs and shifters (Chorus 10) are ~ 16 years old and still fine, so in my experience, running cables as tight as possible isn’t harmful

Last edited by Litespud; 12-28-19 at 01:43 PM.