Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Headlights with anti-glare features AND...

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 08:26 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

I am looking for a headlight that has all the following features:
  1. Anti-glare
  2. Can be mounted under a mount or handlebar (e.g. GoPro mount) without losing the anti-glare feature above
  3. Can be detached from the mount by sliding forward (i.e. CatEye), NOT by twisting 90 degrees
An example of (2) is the TOWILD CL-series lights, where you can change the position of the bracket so the light is always "upside up" whether it's mounted on the handlebar or under it.

Unfortunately, the CL-series comes with a mount that needs to be twisted 90 degrees, which is not easy to do as the shifter cables get in the way when the light is mounted under my Qud Loxk OFM Pro.

If anyone can help me find a light like this, I would much appreciate it.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)

Last edited by daihard; 07-13-23 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-17-23, 08:17 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
By 'anti-glare', do you mean with a beam cutoff?

The Cateye Gvolt70.1 and Gvolt100 have a beam cutoff and mount under the bars. You might have to buy these out of Germany or Japan (eBay, Starbike, Rose, Bike24) as Cateye doesn't market their StVZO headlamps in N.A.
Likes For tcs:
Old 07-17-23, 10:56 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by tcs
By 'anti-glare', do you mean with a beam cutoff?

The Cateye Gvolt70.1 and Gvolt100 have a beam cutoff and mount under the bars. You might have to buy these out of Germany or Japan (eBay, Starbike, Rose, Bike24) as Cateye doesn't market their StVZO headlamps in N.A.
Yes. I want a headlight with a beam cutoff. That most probably means it won't work if the light is mounted upside down.

Thanks for the reference to the CatEye GVolt lights. It is unfortunate that they're not available in the US. I also appreciate your mentioning StVZO. I had seen the term before but had no idea what it was.

CatEye also sells a newer version of the Volt series called "Volt NEO" in Japan. The Volt NEO has a beam cutoff and can be mounted underneath as well. Again, too bad I can't buy it here.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)

Last edited by daihard; 07-17-23 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-17-23, 11:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Why oh why doesn't Cateye market their StVZO headlamps in N.A.? They probably have their reasons, but...it seems like they're leaving a competitive advantage on the table.

Originally Posted by daihard
Again, too bad I can't buy it here.
Thanks to the miracle of the internet, you sort of more or less can. I forget which German website I ordered mine from. Input PayPal, output headlamp.

BTW, the Gvolt100 is pretty cool: the optics unit detaches from the battery compartment and you can mount it either way, for above or below the handlebars.

For 35+ years I've known Cateye for good mounts, rugged housings, quality switches and excellent optics. For some years they were always one generation behind on LEDs, but they've caught up.

From the old halogen days, a Cateye headlamp that cast a whimsical cat-head-shaped beam pattern!

Likes For tcs:
Old 07-17-23, 12:18 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by tcs
Why oh why doesn't Cateye market their StVZO headlamps in N.A.? They probably have their reasons, but...it seems like they're leaving a competitive advantage on the table.

Thanks to the miracle of the internet, you sort of more or less can. I forget which German website I ordered mine from. Input PayPal, output headlamp.

BTW, the Gvolt100 is pretty cool: the optics unit detaches from the battery compartment and you can mount it either way, for above or below the handlebars.

For 35+ years I've known Cateye for good mounts, rugged housings, quality switches and excellent optics. For some years they were always one generation behind on LEDs, but they've caught up.

From the old halogen days, a Cateye headlamp that cast a whimsical cat-head-shaped beam pattern!

Looks like I can buy the Gvolt 100 from here.

https://www.rosebikes.com/cateye-gvo...system-2697805

It's pricey for sure, but I am seriously considering it.

As for the Volt NEO series, CatEye somehow only sells them at retail stores, not online. That puzzles me.

Old 07-22-23, 11:22 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
I am looking for a headlight that has all the following features:
  1. Anti-glare
  2. Can be mounted under a mount or handlebar (e.g. GoPro mount) without losing the anti-glare feature above
  3. Can be detached from the mount by sliding forward (i.e. CatEye), NOT by twisting 90 degrees
Trek's solution to all of the above: Trek Commuter Pro RT, Bontrager Blendr Low Commuter Light Mount.

Likes For UnCruel:
Old 07-22-23, 12:02 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by UnCruel
Trek's solution to all of the above: Trek Commuter Pro RT, Bontrager Blendr Low Commuter Light Mount.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would most likely go with the CatEye GVolt 100 suggested above as it is cheaper tahn the Trek light, and I already have the CatEye mount.

Old 07-22-23, 03:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Looks like I can buy the Gvolt 100 from here.

https://www.rosebikes.com/cateye-gvo...system-2697805

It's pricey for sure, but I am seriously considering it.

As for the Volt NEO series, CatEye somehow only sells them at retail stores, not online. That puzzles me.
I do not think I have ever ordered from Rose, but I have ordered from Bike24 and from Star Bike in Germany. Have also ordered from Amazon.de in Germany. And several in the UK. Shipping on the first item in your cart from the German suppliers is usually pricy, but shipping on everything else after that is cheap or free in the same order.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-22-23, 06:36 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Might take a look at the IXON Space 150 light from Busch + Mueller. Mounts above the bar on a "standard" bar mount, but has a stellar beam pattern with the desired proper cutoff.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku...ukt/196l.html?