Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What tire to go with for cold and rain?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

What tire to go with for cold and rain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23, 07:27 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
LOL. I’m going to just hand back my 1st class degree in Mech Eng and Masters in Vehicle Dynamics and forget that I worked for 20 years in F1 motorsport reaching chief engineer level because some dude (or AI bot) on the internet says I don’t have a clue.
If you have a clue, why can you not answer the questions correctly? Why are you losing an argument to a dude/machine?

Sorry but I’m not wading through all this bs. I’m not even convinced you are a real person. It’s hard to imagine someone that far up their own ass (sorry mods!).
Your inability to wade though the topic probably explains why you do not understand it, and are forced to resort to ad hominem attacks.
Old 12-05-23, 03:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
If you have a clue, why can you not answer the questions correctly? Why are you losing an argument to a dude/machine?

Your inability to wade though the topic probably explains why you do not understand it, and are forced to resort to ad hominem attacks.
You have already informed me that I don't have a clue, so why would I waste any more time answering your questions incorrectly?
Old 12-05-23, 12:51 PM
TC1

You have already informed me that I don't have a clue, so why would I waste any more time answering your questions incorrectly?
Pete, you had several opportunities to demonstrate your alleged knowledge on this topic -- before I eventually asked you why couldn't, if you are in possession of the clues that you claim to be. Instead of doing so, you chose to make a raft of factually incorrect statements about alleged 'lubricant' and adhesion and references to some mystical non-mechanical traction. In short, you demonstrated a very poor understanding of the topic at-hand. You have an opportunity to learn, here -- as distasteful as that may be for you to admit -- but you'd have to stop approaching that opportunity as a "waste of time".

Either way, it'd be good if you didn't spread your misconceptions around. If you want to believe in some magical force that provides non-mechanical traction, that's your business, but don't confuse innocent bystanders with that nonsense.
Old 12-05-23, 01:40 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by TC1
Pete, you had several opportunities to demonstrate your alleged knowledge on this topic -- before I eventually asked you why couldn't, if you are in possession of the clues that you claim to be. Instead of doing so, you chose to make a raft of factually incorrect statements about alleged 'lubricant' and adhesion and references to some mystical non-mechanical traction. In short, you demonstrated a very poor understanding of the topic at-hand. You have an opportunity to learn, here -- as distasteful as that may be for you to admit -- but you'd have to stop approaching that opportunity as a "waste of time".

Either way, it'd be good if you didn't spread your misconceptions around. If you want to believe in some magical force that provides non-mechanical traction, that's your business, but don't confuse innocent bystanders with that nonsense.
Whatever. Why don’t you just recommend a tyre like the OP asked?

Last edited by PeteHski; 12-05-23 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-06-23, 06:18 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
well I had to change tires the back went through 6oz of sealant between Friday and Tuesday morning. its hard to find a hole in a tire in the rain and fenders. so when I got to work I took the rear wheel on and found a ole that needed two plugs and the tire was empty of sealant but after plugging it I found a few more fairly large ones that had sealed. so figured they are too thin for winter riding and time to change over.
Old 12-06-23, 08:10 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
well I had to change tires the back went through 6oz of sealant between Friday and Tuesday morning. its hard to find a hole in a tire in the rain and fenders. so when I got to work I took the rear wheel on and found a ole that needed two plugs and the tire was empty of sealant but after plugging it I found a few more fairly large ones that had sealed. so figured they are too thin for winter riding and time to change over.
You might -- emphasis on might, 'cause I am not prepared to guarantee that it'll work better -- want to try winter-specific sealant, like Orange Subzero. I use Subzero in a couple bikes, but I'm not sure how much difference it really makes. I also have regular Orange in some tires, and I haven't tracked the relative performance accurately enough to say one way or t'other.
Old 12-06-23, 08:15 PM
TC1

Whatever. Why don’t you just recommend a tyre like the OP asked?
Because I don't have a 650b bike, and have never ridden on either of OP's tires in the cold and wet. So, instead of talking out of my rear-end, like you have been, I declined to offer wild speculation about OP's choice.
Old 12-06-23, 09:11 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
You might -- emphasis on might, 'cause I am not prepared to guarantee that it'll work better -- want to try winter-specific sealant, like Orange Subzero. I use Subzero in a couple bikes, but I'm not sure how much difference it really makes. I also have regular Orange in some tires, and I haven't tracked the relative performance accurately enough to say one way or t'other.
we dont get cold. just tons of rain and crap on the road. cold rain like 34 degrees and rain. when I went tubeless I put on Schwalbe g1- speed tires a great rude but I bet I had 15 punctures in a month or so. I now use Peatys sealant its like Stans but without the boogers linger use time and yo can use CO2 with it.
https://www.peatysusa.com/collections/sealant
Old 12-07-23, 04:20 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by TC1
Because I don't have a 650b bike, and have never ridden on either of OP's tires in the cold and wet. So, instead of talking out of my rear-end, like you have been, I declined to offer wild speculation about OP's choice.
Yeah, instead you offered some wild speculation about bicycle hydroplaning. Comedy gold.

Last edited by PeteHski; 12-07-23 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-07-23, 11:04 AM
TC1

Yeah, instead you offered some wild speculation about bicycle hydroplaning.
No, Pete, I offered video evidence and professional research on the topic. Sit and have a think for a while, and see if you can puzzle out the difference.
Old 12-07-23, 12:25 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by TC1
No, Pete, I offered video evidence and professional research on the topic. Sit and have a think for a while, and see if you can puzzle out the difference.
An irrelevant topic that nobody is remotely concerned about, which appears to be your schtick.
Old 12-07-23, 05:51 PM
TC1

An irrelevant topic that nobody is remotely concerned about, which appears to be your schtick.
Your comments have gone from bad, to worse, to embarrassing. The topic is explicitly performance in the rain, and hydroplaning is directly relevant to that issue.

Seriously consider just running away, like you had to do last time you became fixated with trying to argue with me.