Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2024 races/what are you looking forward to?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 08:38 AM
harrier6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
2024 races/what are you looking forward to?

Hey,

After my first year doing brevets in 2023, I’m looking to do more ultra type events in 2024. What would you recommend for something more competitive over long distances? Ideally, it’d be a 1-2 day thing somewhere in the northeastern US. I don’t have a gravel bike, but I get the sense that long gravel grinders might be a good fit.

Anyways, I think we could also turn this into a thread where people share what sorts of rides & ultra events they’ve got their eyes on in 2024.
Likes For harrier6:
Old 12-28-23, 05:30 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
My "big event" of 2024 is the Florida 500, a 533-mile single-stage race from Jacksonville Beach to Key West, third week of February. I've done it twice (2024 will be my third) and it's a lot of "fun". It's long enough to be really hard and to make you suffer. It's also long enough to give you a good sense of accomplishment. But it's not too long or too hard that it ruins the enjoyment. It's also a flat course with pretty coastal scenery.

I don't race in the Northeast and don't have any recommendations for your area, but you are more than welcome to come to join us in Florida
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 12-28-23, 08:36 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
My 13yo and I have plans to do a trio of grand fondos, one in NJ, the Hincapie in PA and nationals in Maryland. That'll be most of the training for me and the wife attempting the VTXL in VT this Sept. We're thinking of doing the medium course, can't remember the exact mileage off the top of my head but its something like 160/200/360 depending on if you do the southern loop, the northern loop or the whole figure 8. Its self supported so if you finish one of the loops and want to do the whole thing you can.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-30-23, 08:03 PM
harrier6

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
My "big event" of 2024 is the Florida 500, a 533-mile single-stage race from Jacksonville Beach to Key West, third week of February. I've done it twice (2024 will be my third) and it's a lot of "fun". It's long enough to be really hard and to make you suffer. It's also long enough to give you a good sense of accomplishment. But it's not too long or too hard that it ruins the enjoyment. It's also a flat course with pretty coastal scenery.

I don't race in the Northeast and don't have any recommendations for your area, but you are more than welcome to come to join us in Florida
I've never done that much flat riding before, I have to imagine it's a unique experience. I don't know Florida well, but if it's a nice route, I could imagine zoning out and grinding out the miles would feel satisfying
Old 01-01-24, 07:44 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
I heard about the Florida500 when Amanda Coker won it in 2021. Here is her epic ride report.
Old 01-01-24, 07:57 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Tour of the Catskills
Northwinds Gravel Classic
NY State TT championships
???
Old 01-01-24, 11:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Undecided.

Plan A
I promised myself I'd scale back the randonneuring this year, on the heels of PBP, and do other things. There are a ton of non-rando rides that look amazing; plenty of gravel and forest roads. Maybe a backpacking trip.

Plan B
Domestic grand brevet. Seattle International Randonneurs has a Seattle to Glacier National Park 1300k (Amtrak return) that could be my focus. I've put my name on the interested list for NY - Montreal - NY. Either one could be the focus.

Plan C
1000k plus a Fleche to earn a RUSA cup.

Fixie Option
I did a number of 100k perms and one 200k ride on my fixed gear in 2023. I have it in mind to try a fixed-gear SR series. That will be hard as heck; maybe just this for rando, plus Plan A.

OP you could look at endurance road races. I did that for a few years after starting randonneuring. Different enough to be interesting. The one I rode in Michigan is kaput, but Sebring in Florida is still run. A 24 hour road race is a different kind of mental challenge.
https://www.bikesebring.org/_events.php
Old 01-02-24, 05:46 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by joewein
I heard about the Florida500 when Amanda Coker won it in 2021. Here is her epic ride report.
I'm a big fan of what Amanda has accomplished, but her Florida500 record has been broken twice since she set it. I'd like to see her attempt to reclaim the record, but she has told me she is not a fan of the course and will not be back.
Old 03-09-24, 07:23 AM
ve9vic

Bikes: giant cypress 2013, Panorama Forillon 2023

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Looks like a perfect bicycle vacation style for me, living in the north of Canada, it would be a nice break from winter. I couldn't ride Florida in summer, too hot,
but winter must be ok.
Old 04-10-24, 07:37 AM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a big fan of what Amanda has accomplished, but her Florida500 record has been broken twice since she set it. I'd like to see her attempt to reclaim the record, but she has told me she is not a fan of the course and will not be back.
Instead of saying something like "maybe next year", or the like, she blames the course for not returning to reclaim her record.. Nice way treat the race director who gave you a free entry and hotel to stay at in Key West at the end of the race.