Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What Bke Computer should I buy?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-09, 02:43 PM
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

OK _ SO tomorrow I am returning my VDO Z2 Bike Computer. It has HRM, Cadence, Calories, MPH, Mileage etc. The only thing it does not have is ft climber. Oh and it has broken alot. So on my MTn ride it broke and I have decided to give it back to the shop. They will order anything I want and I can pay the price idfference. I am not looking to spend a ton - just buy something that works -

Must Haves:
Cadence, Calories, HRM, Miles Per Hour, Mileage
Nice to have:
Feet Climbed
Temperature (Why not?)
Power Meter (?) It talks about that obn my Training DVDs
GPS...
Ability to download to PC.

Ok - is ther anything out there not too complicated that I could manage without spending a ton of time/money. Ideas???

I will use it for my Trainer Rides...my outdoor group rides...my centuries (looking to do supported rides of 100 miles from now til it snows next Winter. Also if I had the Garmin thingy maybe I would not worry if I got lost (If I could figure thje darn thingy out...)

OK so any suggestions appreciated. WIll be at the bike shop tomorrow.
Thanks.
Tha Bee
Old 03-15-09, 02:57 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a new bike computer. Mine doesn't tell time correctly. Sometimes it's 4 hours ahead, some days it's 2.5 hours behind. One day it insisted it was 27 o'clock.

The Garmins look terrific and I'd happily get one of those but I'm pretty sure it's not in the budget. I want to get speakers for my ipod.

REI.com lists the specs on each model. I took a quick look and the Garmin looks like it has practically everything you want in a bike computer and costs around what the VDO Z3 bike computer does.

I imagine with the popularity of the Garmins that there is plenty of advice available online to sort out any eccentricities. It looks like a fun one!!
Old 03-15-09, 02:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
My $9.52 Walmart computer has been good for 14,000 miles.

Amazon.com: Schwinn 17-Function Bike Computer: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Schwinn 17-Function Bike Computer: Sports & Outdoors

Old 03-15-09, 03:11 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have often thought about getting a Garmin, then I stop and wonder do I really need one. I know they will do everything on your list. The powermeter is in the $1,000.00+ catagory so it isn't something I considered a need...yet.
Old 03-15-09, 03:25 PM
TrekJapan
Each Drop of Sweat Counts

Bikes: Trek FX2, Trek Verve 3, Dahon Launch D8, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
I use the Cats eye bike computers (all wireless) and I have to say I use them less and less. It's cool to know how many miles you have on your bike or sometimes how fast you're going but for me I get wrapped up around the technology and it makes me not focus as much as the point of swinging my leg up over the saddle. To sweat.

Sometimes I think I'd like to ditch the computers.

John
Old 03-15-09, 03:39 PM
flip18436572
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use my Garmin Forerunner 305 every ride and every run. But, I bought it for me to train and loose weight after I reached a certain goal. I was using a Cateye, but it wasn't always working. The Garmin works for me indoors on the trainer as well. I don't have the money for any new purchase, so anything with a power meter, I don't even look into.

Buy what you think you need to cover what you want to know. I plug in my 305 after every work out and see what I have done.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 03-15-09, 03:55 PM
Caleab

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
My $9.52 Walmart computer has been good for 14,000 miles.

Amazon.com: Schwinn 17-Function Bike Computer: Sports & Outdoors
+1000

I got two of these and they work great. Backlit also =)

I don't need a computer to tell me how much power I'm putting out, how many feet I've climbed or whatever.
Just track my mileage and let me know what time it is =)
Temperature on the this one is kinda kewl too.
Old 03-15-09, 05:40 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my wife a Garmin Forerunner 305 for XMas and used it on my bike for a ride this spring. Now I must have one!. The Forerunner 305 is pretty similar to the Edge 305, but lacks an altimeter (relies on GPS only).

I don't think the xtra $$$ for the maps of the 705 are really worth it, but they are sure neeeeto. The Edge 305 does everything you want and can probably be had for a bit over $200 if you shop real hard. Here's one at GPS city for $250 with the cadence and hr sensors.

GPS City Edge 305 bundle
Old 03-15-09, 07:17 PM
</intolerance>
A shrinking member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Garmin Edge 305. I probably don't NEED all the bells and whistles, but I LOVE all the bells and whistles! Price check online though. A lot of bike shops haven't dropped their prices.