Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Taking a break....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-18, 08:29 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Taking a break....

Over the last year, I have done a lot of miles. Just started cycling last June. I must have done 3000 miles. From doing nothing to that and losing 4 and a half stone, I feel tired and sore.

Is it worth having a week off? Or will it be a bad idea?

I am a total noivice cyclist. Just doing what I think is right....

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-18, 08:58 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Not sure I would take a whole week off ... but definitely listen to your body.

If you're tired and sore, ride but ride at a much slower pace, with a much lower effort.

I get twitchy if I take more than three days off ... though I know sometimes it's unavoidable.
Old 09-04-18, 10:45 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
It's OK to have a rest day here and there. You won't lose any conditioning by taking a day off every week. I don't know about a whole week, but I've had rainy weeks which kept me off the bike most days but my conditioning didn't seem to suffer much.

But the thing about recovery days is, you actually need them once in a while so your muscles can recover and rebuild. Either take a day off the bike, or do a "recovery ride" where you just get on and ride at a very slow, easy pace. Keeps your muscles conditioned but doesn't overwork them.

Just make sure you don't take too much time off the bike, because you might be liable to putting all the weight you lost back on. I made the mistake of not getting on my trainer last winter and I gained 10 pounds by spring.
Old 09-04-18, 11:15 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
take a week off, but nothing more. Longer your break is, longer it takes to get back in the groove.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-04-18, 12:01 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Sounds like me, I hammerd it from May till August, got a cold and just really reduced my mileage. Feeling better now, starting to itch for high mileage again.

Try taking some long walks. Or, try a different style of riding - I've been hitting the mtb more in August, doing some gravel and exploring.
Old 09-05-18, 05:03 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes

Just make sure you don't take too much time off the bike, because you might be liable to putting all the weight you lost back on. I made the mistake of not getting on my trainer last winter and I gained 10 pounds by spring.
Been there, done that last winter too. Aggravating! Especially when my goal is to ride my way out of “Clydesdale” country.
Old 09-05-18, 09:38 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Cheers guys...

I did a 37 miler on Saturday morning and just felt totally exhausted. this lead me to thinking about taking a few days off. I have a 70 mile run organised for Sunday. So I am going out tonight to do a few easy miles. Same on Friday evening. Might do a few easy miles on Saturday too.

Legs feeling a lot better after a few days out the saddle....but desperate to get back in it!!!

This cycling malarkey is addictive!
Old 09-05-18, 10:20 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
eat a bit more cals on the rest days leading up to the long ride, not a whole hell allot, just a couple hundred extra cals, and protein/meats help with the muscle recovery but red meats takes a day to digest. Carbs for me gives me energy so if I cut to hard back on them or not eat a decent breakfast my lunch rides are exhausted but overall speed is only down a bit.

everyone diet is different, mine isn't all that great anyways.....
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-05-18, 10:47 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry221
Over the last year, I have done a lot of miles. Just started cycling last June. I must have done 3000 miles. From doing nothing to that and losing 4 and a half stone, I feel tired and sore.

Is it worth having a week off? Or will it be a bad idea?
As others have suggested: listen closely to what your body is telling you.

Of course, that hardly means you should be exercise-less for a week, month or whatever. You can certainly de-emphasize your longer, harder exercise in favor of lighter, briefer, easier exercising. And you can continue with stretching, lighter floor work (ie, calisthenics and similar activities).

You can also consider doing other exercises than your typical focus (cross training). Needn't be stiff, hard, long-duration sessions. Most folks can get quite a lot of benefit from sessions that are of much shorter duration, much lower intensity, so long as they involve the muscles well, so long as they ensure the recovery is as effective as possible.

Keep your fluids and nutrition up, to aid recovery. Keep your stretching and related lighter-intensity exercising up, to aid recovery, to ease muscle soreness, to improve blood flow.

Consider things like: walking, light hiking, swimming for enjoyment (ie, in a pond or lake), light cycling on trails or around town, simple floor routines (ie, yoga or bodyweight exercising with TRX or similar). Focus on range of motion, correct form, stretching instead of strengthening. It'll help, but won't much risk your overall fitness level. Might be a good time to consider a handful of good, deep-tissue, whole-body massages.

"Tired" and "sore" are two indicators that your recovery isn't keeping up with your intensity of exercising. A bit of a break (or ratcheting down intensity) is probably warranted. A week or two is not going to kill your fitness level. Particularly if you continue doing moderate stretching and light workouts to keep yourself limber and feeling good.

* Long-time runner, modest cyclist. Have been where you are, many times, with running. And easing back on the high-pressure, high-intensity, long-duration workouts has helped, whenever the body was craving a bit more space in which to recover. Works almost every time, assuming the problem isn't a specific illness, and assuming I keep up with the basics, with nutrition.
Old 09-05-18, 10:54 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
If you've got a good fitness base, a week off once-in-a-while won't make much difference. Taking weeks off consistently is not good. For me, I seem to feel best if I ride 4x per week. I can get away with 3x, but over time I think I lose a bit. On the flip side, if I ride 4-5 days without a break I will start to feel run down.

The other issue with taking time off is getting out of the habit. My breaks tend to occur when I'm traveling, which isn't all that often. But this doesn't disrupt my home habit, which is to ride 3 - 4x per week.
Old 09-05-18, 12:00 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Consider doing some "recovery rides". Under 20 miles, at or under Zone 2 HR training...

You do use a HR device don't you? That is your best indicator of over extending yourself, and the best tool for getting back on track.

For example, my rested (3 days off the bike) resting HR is around 50. If my morning HR is more than 55, it means I have significant fatigue building up. If I hit 60, it means I really need a rest day, possibly two.

Here is a rather simple explanation of it:

Pacing by Numbers: Using Your Heart Rate To Stay Inside the Energy Envelope | CFIDS & Fibromyalgia Self-Help
Old 09-05-18, 12:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Take as much time as you feel you need. Back in '01 I had an insane month. Two back to back centuries two weekends in a row. A relatively casual trail ride of about 40 miles the third Saturday and then another century the next day. The following weekend I did a two-day, 150 mile charity ride. I felt like that guy in the "Time to make the donuts" commercial. Alarm went off early the following Sunday morning. I turned it off, thought about things for a minute and went right back to bed.
Old 09-05-18, 03:17 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I wouldn’t take time off, I would structure my riding differently. Are you going out hard every ride or are you having hard days and rest days where you just cruise along and take time to smell the roses?

I race and I do take a month or sometimes 2-3 off after my focus event for the year, but I don’t stop riding. I enjoy riding and so I back off the intensity and do some cruising and social riding
Old 09-06-18, 09:52 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
You are not a pro rider, take a week off it won’t hurt you at all.