Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Old 10-14-18, 09:19 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by zedpilot
After a life of going fast not only on bicycles, But cafe racer and motocross motorcycles. I'm enjoying life in the slower lane. One thing that does bother me is the snooty attitude that other bikers show upon seeing a leisurely bike like the Day6 and a slower pace.
I don't get it either. I'm also new to the Forum but at 58yrs I'm not new to cycling. I vaguely remember riding a trike at 3ish
I recently picked up a Cruiser and enjoying the relaxed experience but there are member(s) here who can't appreciate these bikes.
I also ride a motorcycle and the Forums are full of owners insulting other brands/classes. Personally, I'm happy to see people enjoying the Sport....whatever they're riding.
Old 10-14-18, 09:28 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I enjoy just getting out for a ride on my Day6 CF and not returning home with a sore butt and numb hands. After a life of going fast not only on bicycles, But cafe racer and motocross motorcycles. I'm enjoying life in the slower lane. One thing that does bother me is the snooty attitude that other bikers show upon seeing a leisurely bike like the Day6 and a slower pace. Was asked about my "retirees' bike the other day. I replied with a question of my own. Do you drive a race car on the street? No! So, Do you enjoy driving your retirees car?
No, but I ride my race bike on the street. That’s where bike races are held.
Old 10-14-18, 05:16 PM
zedpilot

Bikes: Ran's V-Rex, Day6 Patriot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

No, but I ride my race bike on the street. That’s where bike races are held.
You totally missed my point. It's the snooty attitude that a lot of the go fast folks display. And the fact that nearly every bike out there (save CF's and bent bikes) ARE based on a race inspired crank under seat racing design that mandates a skinny seat and weight on ones wrists "as being the standard" because of said racing. If it weren't for the UCI's banning of recumbent bikes in racing in 1934. We might not have numb genitals & hands as the standard for nearly every bike on the market.

So as most are not 'racing' why the need for riding a race inspired bike?
Old 10-14-18, 08:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Did the scientists go out and clone rydabent? Because the member name is different, but it sure sounds like rydabent.
Old 10-14-18, 08:57 PM
zedpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Did the scientists go out and clone rydabent? Because the member name is different, but it sure sounds like rydabent.
who’s rydabent?

I have a bent, but going to put it up for sale. It’s a great and comfy bike. But full on peeking between you knees bents aren’t perfect. They are a pain in the urban environment. The CF’s are much more practical around town.
Old 10-14-18, 09:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts

who’s rydabent?

I have a bent, but going to put it up for sale. It’s a great and comfy bike. But full on peeking between you knees bents aren’t perfect. They are a pain in the urban environment. The CF’s are much more practical around town.
rydabent is a poster on this forum who has an anti diamond frame point of view. He has said DF riders are "fools" and has thrown various other insults at "kitted" riders and riders who value performance type riding.
btw, when riding a road bike your weight shouldn't be supported by your wrists and when properly positioned on the right saddle you shouldn't experience any numbness.
Old 10-14-18, 09:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

I am glad you have found a comfortable bike that works for you. I’m sorry you had bad experiences with standard geometry bikes, the same basic geometry that’s been standard for over a hundred years. Sorry if they gave you numb genitals, but I wouldn’t extrapolate that to every other rider.

And some of us actually do race.
Old 10-14-18, 09:56 PM
zedpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
rydabent is a poster on this forum who has an anti diamond frame point of view. He has said DF riders are "fools" and has thrown various other insults at "kitted" riders and riders who value performance type riding.
btw, when riding a road bike your weight shouldn't be supported by your wrists and when properly positioned on the right saddle you shouldn't experience any numbness.
That's not me then. I just like the back and forth of varying positions on a subject. I have the same issues with crotch rocket motorcycles even though I have owned a great many of them from a Ducati 888 SPO LTD superbike all the way to Goldwing touring bikes and everyting in between. (37 motorcycles in all) My thought process about them is the same. I always ask why this or why that. So I'm not anti diamond frame. I just ask why? When so many are so uncomfortable on them. And have to go to great lengths trying saddles and handle bar and handle bar stem positions. My LBS even says lack of comfort is the number one complaint they hear from customers

My LBS (Bike Barn, Walla Walla, Wa.) went to great lengths adjusting my old Specialized Expedition FSR to me. Tried a lot of saddles and found one that wasn't to bad. Yet still was uncomfortable. I do have neck issues and my hands even go numb on a Honda Goldwing (which is a motorized lazy boy recliner) Which netted zero weight on my wrists.
Old 10-14-18, 10:20 PM
zedpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am glad you have found a comfortable bike that works for you. I’m sorry you had bad experiences with standard geometry bikes, the same basic geometry that’s been standard for over a hundred years. Sorry if they gave you numb genitals, but I wouldn’t extrapolate that to every other rider.

And some of us actually do race.
The number of riders that are pro racers are an extremely insignificant percentage of the total number of bike riders. The vast majority ride for fun & the health benefits, not time trials. I just ask why racing geometry needs or even should be the standard and a bike with comfortable geometry is classed as odd, Geek, or only for old people? I'm neither pro nor anti concerning either type (except for my own use) Others can ride what they wish.
Old 10-14-18, 10:57 PM
caloso

Most racers are amateurs, but the great thing about bike racing, as opposed to car racing or sailing for example, is that pro level equipment is accessible to even old Cat 3s with day jobs. And we agree that people can ride what they wish. But I don’t think I’ve heard as much attitude from roadies about comfort bikes in real life as the other way around on BF. Most racers I know love bikes, all sorts, and all sorts of riders, fast, slow, and otherwise.
Old 10-14-18, 11:43 PM
zedpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most racers are amateurs, but the great thing about bike racing, as opposed to car racing or sailing for example, is that pro level equipment is accessible to even old Cat 3s with day jobs. And we agree that people can ride what they wish. But I don’t think I’ve heard as much attitude from roadies about comfort bikes in real life as the other way around on BF. Most racers I know love bikes, all sorts, and all sorts of riders, fast, slow, and otherwise.
Yep! Way, Way cheaper than car racing.
Some might not agree, But no attitude here though. Just curiosity of the why of what we ride. I have ridden all sorts of bikes. In the late 60's a 10 year old I rode a candy apple red Schwinn sting ray with a big sissy bar and 5 speed derailleur. What a wheelie monster it was. Then went to a Schwinn Continental, My first 10 speed. It seemed to be made from lead water pipes. But I sure was proud of it. Then I moved to the (then new bike maker) Cannondale model SR400 that had a soda can sized down tube. That SR400 was like riding an I-beam compared to everything I had ever owned. And it was expensive for the young underpaid military kid named Zedpilot.
Old 10-15-18, 03:18 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Who cares what speed you go....

Fast, slow.....it doesnt matter. what matters is that you are out.

I am not fast at all. I have other cyclists pass me and I pass others.....as I/they pass, we have a word or two....sometimes its just a cheery hello, other times its words of encouragement.

Enjoy your cycling....
Old 10-15-18, 10:48 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I love speed, but I don't race. Except maybe the transit bus. That said, speed is relative, so enjoy the ride!
Old 10-15-18, 02:33 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My son turned 31 and he rides 20mph+ all the time. Great workout. But I'll ride the same route and sometimes ask him "did you notice ...." and the answer is almost always
"no". One time there was a young pony and mama horse (we both love animals) and I was super excited when I caught up with him to talk about them - but he never even saw them. Too busy flying along at top speed. I suppose I could use to speed up a little bit (usually 12-13mph with bursts up to 16mph) but he could use to slow down a little to take in the environment. Might as well ride inside a gym on a spin bike if you aren't going to pay attention to what's around you.
Old 10-16-18, 09:35 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
After riding my Eddy Merckx "go not-quite-so-slow" bike almost exclusively for most of a year, I built up an old Mondia frame I'd had hanging around for several years. 650x38b tires, sub-compact gearing, etc. The ride and handling are wonderful, but the biggest thing is how nice it is to ride a bike that gives me permission to take it easy. The Merckx is always like, "come on. You can do better than that!" The Mondia isn't slow by any means, but it's happy at pretty much any speed. I like that.

SP
OC, OR
Old 10-16-18, 09:47 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
My son turned 31 and he rides 20mph+ all the time. Great workout. But I'll ride the same route and sometimes ask him "did you notice ...." and the answer is almost always
"no". One time there was a young pony and mama horse (we both love animals) and I was super excited when I caught up with him to talk about them - but he never even saw them. Too busy flying along at top speed. I suppose I could use to speed up a little bit (usually 12-13mph with bursts up to 16mph) but he could use to slow down a little to take in the environment. Might as well ride inside a gym on a spin bike if you aren't going to pay attention to what's around you.
I had the same experience with a couple friends. We were riding a trail and 2 of them sped past us and a little ways down the trail they were waiting for us. We asked them if they saw the deer along the trail and neither one saw it
even though they were close enough that if they stuck their arm out they could have almost touched it.
Old 10-16-18, 12:04 PM
Guest User 1923242

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This bicycle this serves three purposes for me...exercise, transportation, and relaxation...I`m hoping that as I get older I can still appreciate the pleasure of riding a bike....any bike. I have folding bikes, cruisers, mountain bikes and over the years I`ve worked on a variety of vintage bikes. Speed is fun and great exercise but at 74 I just feel happy I can get up those small hills on my cruiser...
Old 10-16-18, 12:10 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
[QUOTE=pmo;20619279.... at 74 I just feel happy I can get up those small hills on my cruiser...[/QUOTE]

I'm 16yrs your junior and I'm happy to avoid all hills on my Cruiser! You're an inspiration
Old 10-16-18, 02:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by pmo
This bicycle this serves three purposes for me...exercise, transportation, and relaxation...I`m hoping that as I get older I can still appreciate the pleasure of riding a bike....any bike. I have folding bikes, cruisers, mountain bikes and over the years I`ve worked on a variety of vintage bikes. Speed is fun and great exercise but at 74 I just feel happy I can get up those small hills on my cruiser...
What, no fun?
Old 10-16-18, 02:39 PM
Guest User 1923242

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KraneXL
What, no fun?
The FUN comes when I`m coasting DOWN those small hills.....
Old 10-16-18, 02:47 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
After riding my Eddy Merckx "go not-quite-so-slow" bike almost exclusively for most of a year, I built up an old Mondia frame I'd had hanging around for several years. 650x38b tires, sub-compact gearing, etc. The ride and handling are wonderful, but the biggest thing is how nice it is to ride a bike that gives me permission to take it easy. The Merckx is always like, "come on. You can do better than that!" The Mondia isn't slow by any means, but it's happy at pretty much any speed. I like that.

SP
OC, OR
Yeah, I find the bike I'm riding makes a huge difference in how I ride. If I'm on my AWOL, I'm usually content to poke along at a slow to moderate speed, taking things easy and enjoying my surroundings.

If I'm on my Scott, I feel compelled to go fast and push myself! The bike is very light and responsive, and the near-effortless way it responds to input makes it almost impossible for me to just cruise along. Both bikes have their place, but there are definitely times when I just want to take it easy and not push myself. On those days I have to ride the 'slow' bike!
Old 10-17-18, 02:05 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too enjoy a slow ride, and enjoy the scenery. I live in a small, rural community. Often times find myself stopping to visit with the neighbors. I'm not interested in seeing what kind of top speed personal record I can make. I like a slogan I once seen on a cycling jersey, "I start out slow, but then I ease up".
Old 10-19-18, 02:05 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts

So as most are not 'racing' why the need for riding a race inspired bike?
Even I know that answer. Although most are not racing, they ARE trying to keep up with their buddies. It's an undeclared arms race which forces everyone onto fast bikes. You can opt out only by abandoning riding with your buddies, because you can be certain they're getting faster bikes so that they can drop you.

I even see this in recumbents. I rode with someone who was faster than me, so I upgraded. He upgraded. I upgraded. He finally got a velomobile and has done fairly flat centuries averaging 28+ mph. How do I compete with that unless I get a $12000 velo of my own?
Old 10-19-18, 07:02 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Actually what I have said is that probably 80% or more of cyclist would be better served if they rode a recumbent or trike. Pain is virtually eliminated. This is especially true for the occasional rider. And yes I have stated that buying and riding with a $500+ kit is pretty unnecessary. On my bents I do have cycling shoes and a helmet. My kit otherwise is a $15 pair of rugby shorts and free or cheap T-shirts. On bents you do not have to buy expensive kits to protect you from your bike. Just to keep the record straight.
Old 10-19-18, 07:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Even I know that answer. Although most are not racing, they ARE trying to keep up with their buddies. It's an undeclared arms race which forces everyone onto fast bikes. You can opt out only by abandoning riding with your buddies, because you can be certain they're getting faster bikes so that they can drop you.

I even see this in recumbents. I rode with someone who was faster than me, so I upgraded. He upgraded. I upgraded. He finally got a velomobile and has done fairly flat centuries averaging 28+ mph. How do I compete with that unless I get a $12000 velo of my own?
I just returned from the Recumbent Cycle-Con in Nashville. I rode several of the big name and expensive trikes, and found out that my TerraTrike Tour II steers better than they do. The Green Speeds steered well, and I would love to have the AZUB Ti-Fly which steered great too. But alas I cant afford it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.