Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Only did 8.5 miles today.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-19-19, 03:04 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

It was my first day with the temps in the 90's so I decided to take it easy and see how I fared. Surprised myself and feel good. At 70 I did not want to go out to hard and not be in any shape tomorrow to ride again. Elevation gain of 508' so it was a bit of a challenge but hey, can't make it too easy on the old legs.
Be safe all, Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 05-19-19, 03:19 PM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
I have the opposite problem here in Montreal. We still are barely breaking into the low 60's. Add some clouds and wind and the biking conditions have been awful so far this season.

Had to end a ride earlier this week cause my ears were cold, lol.
Likes For Mtl01:
Old 05-19-19, 03:20 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Better than the 0 miles I did today.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-19-19, 04:54 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Think 8 - 10 miles is a great ride!
Likes For CodyDog:
Old 05-19-19, 04:55 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Better than the 0 miles I did today.
You'll get em next time.
Frank.
Old 05-20-19, 06:28 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
It was my first day with the temps in the 90's so I decided to take it easy and see how I fared. Surprised myself and feel good. At 70 I did not want to go out to hard and not be in any shape tomorrow to ride again. Elevation gain of 508' so it was a bit of a challenge but hey, can't make it too easy on the old legs.
Be safe all, Frank.
It sure has warmed up here, too. Last night's ride had me sweating while riding! I got so used to the cooler weather where I didn't start sweating until I got off the bike.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 05-20-19, 10:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
There are people who measure rides by how many miles, or average speed, or watts .... i measure rides by how much I liked the ride. I am not as far from 70 as i'd like, but if i end up there, i hope I can still make a post like yours.

Heat can be a real killer too, particularly early in the season. Going shorter and easier is smart. I am trying to stay acclimatized as the heat builds so that I don't have that day (as I did last year) where I sprinted to try to beat a traffic light on my first really hot-weather ride, and then had to limp home because I was so overheated I felt I could hardly ride.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-20-19, 10:36 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
You'll be eager to get back on the bike again tomorrow, that's worth a lot. Compare that some awful ride where you have multiple mechanicals, crashes, and flats, get rained on, honked at, cramped, ticketed, swerved at, bitten by dogs, tormented by insects, robbed, molested, and then skinned alive and left for dead by hobos.

After a ride like that, it can be tough to get back on the bike the next day.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-20-19, 10:44 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Be safe all, Frank.
Great work!
Likes For beach_cycle:
Old 05-20-19, 11:13 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
High of 45° to mid 50°s , = low motivation here.
I have a (my weather go to ride) 10 mi MUP loop
that keeps me semi conditioned.
+
Layers means ... cold front , sweaty back, slower speeds.

Did a 30 mi few days ago, died at miles 27.
without doing the 10 mi loop often, I’d be
done after a loop around the block.

8.5 keep the system activated
Likes For bogydave:
Old 05-20-19, 11:17 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
You'll be eager to get back on the bike again tomorrow, that's worth a lot. Compare that some awful ride where you have multiple mechanicals, crashes, and flats, get rained on, honked at, cramped, ticketed, swerved at, bitten by dogs, tormented by insects, robbed, molested, and then skinned alive and left for dead by hobos.

After a ride like that, it can be tough to get back on the bike the next day.
I hope this isn't you experience on a daily basis.
Thank you all for your responses, Frank.
Old 05-20-19, 01:22 PM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
Was fighting the wind on today's ride (steady 46 km with gusts up to 61 km). That really cuts into the overall distance I can put in. Little less distance for the day is no biggie. The important thing to me is that I still got a ride in. Little bit every day or so adds up in the long run.
Likes For Mtl01:
Old 05-20-19, 07:03 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Don't say "only" - I read that all the time for "shorter" rides on bike forums. Don't ever apologize for getting out and exercising. 8.5 miles is a nice accomplishment. You tell the average Joe or Jill our ages at the local grocery store that you rode 8.5 miles - they will be blown away. Good job.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 05-20-19, 07:37 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by gobicycling
Don't say "only" - I read that all the time for "shorter" rides on bike forums. Don't ever apologize for getting out and exercising. 8.5 miles is a nice accomplishment. You tell the average Joe or Jill our ages at the local grocery store that you rode 8.5 miles - they will be blown away. Good job.
Thanks. I appreciate this more than you can understand.
Frank.
Old 05-20-19, 09:21 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Frank.
You are very welcome!
Old 05-21-19, 05:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
The operative phrase is "I went out for a ride." I belong to a club and every year the B ride gets longer as the season goes on. Last year I just go to the point where I didn't want to spend 5 hrs. on a Saturday morning riding a bike. So, I created the Alt. B ride which is never more than 30 mi. and done at a pace the group wants to ride. During the week my gf and I do rides that are shorter and uptempo. I call them "chasing Vicki." Whatever you do, you are good. Just do something and enjoy it. FWIW, I will be 73 in June.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-21-19, 06:26 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
You'll get em next time.
Frank.
Hey Frank, you put a smile on my face this morning making me remember what one of my old bosses always said, "We didn't get much done today but we'll give 'em hell tomorrow!"

I also agree with the sentiment of others that most people our age (I'm 72) couldn't imagine riding a bicycle 8 miles in a single day. I used to get upset with myself if I didn't ride at least 20 miles every time I got on my bike but now I cherish every ride no matter the length. I feel blessed to be in good health and physical condition. And, riding seems more enjoyable to me now than ever before.

Best regards, Don

Last edited by GeezyRider; 05-21-19 at 06:28 AM. Reason: To make an additional point.
Likes For GeezyRider:
Old 05-21-19, 06:46 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Hey Frank, you put a smile on my face this morning making me remember what one of my old bosses always said, "We didn't get much done today but we'll give 'em hell tomorrow!"

I also agree with the sentiment of others that most people our age (I'm 72) couldn't imagine riding a bicycle 8 miles in a single day. I used to get upset with myself if I didn't ride at least 20 miles every time I got on my bike but now I cherish every ride no matter the length. I feel blessed to be in good health and physical condition. And, riding seems more enjoyable to me now than ever before.

Best regards, Don
Thanks for this and all the support here. I am somewhat of a walking gift to my self in that I was told after surgery on my spine in 2001 that I would never be on a bike again or do any heave work. After I went through physical therapy I realized I was better off than I had been in years so I reopened my residential plumbing business and worked it, with knowledge of my obvious limitations, until 2014 when I retired. Got back on a used Schwinn and rode that for a year and moved on to my Quick 7 and now my 3. I enjoy myself but have felt like a pretender when I hear the miles so many people on these forums rack up but the responses here have been a real eyeopener and foundation of encouragement. Thank you all for the support. I truly appreciate it.
Frank.

Last edited by Helderberg; 05-21-19 at 06:49 AM.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 05-21-19, 07:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
I was told after surgery on my spine in 2001 that I would never be on a bike again or do any heavy work.
Well, you showed them!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-21-19, 07:23 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling

Frank.

Me too.
I have just started riding after a 6 week layoff from skiing. Mostly crappy weather and bad timing when the weather was nice,

I am still unpleasantly surprised by my lack of strength, speed, etc. I remind myself that before I raced, I rode my bike everwhere. Just to get around, and how I basically enjoyed the feeling of pedaling, the efficiency of it. Last year I got back up to being comfortable riding 25 miles at a time.

Yesterday, I "only" rode 7 miles. I had only planned to ride 5. I rode the extra 2 because it felt good. I didn't ride more, so it would feel good to ride today. This is very hard sometimes. I was away from bikes for so long, that I have difficulty acknowledging and accepting the changes in my body. Yesterday however, was a good day, and reading your positive post helped some more. Thx, Eric
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 05-21-19, 07:27 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Thanks for this and all the support here. I am somewhat of a walking gift to my self in that I was told after surgery on my spine in 2001 that I would never be on a bike again or do any heave work.
FWIW...on July 24, 2013 I did an endo on my road bike on a state road. Broke my neck. Eight days and two 5-hr. operations later I was home with C1 & C2 fused. My surgeon was a cyclist. I had some other spinal fractures and my nose and lower lip had to be surgically repaired. My gf, who was just awesome, was at the hospital almost constantly. A rock. I told her that when I got back on the bike I was going to be better than ever. She was sure I was hallucinating. But, while I may not be better than "ever", I was back on the bike by November. I have a 6.5 mi. TT course and last year my goal was to do it at 18 mph. I did it at 19.2 mph. This week on a flat 1 mi. Strava segment I hit a PB at 24.6 mph. Clearly, I have been very lucky. OTOH, there are still things we can do at our age. And, we get to decide what, if any, "goals" matter to us. Ride on.

Oh....and I just got a new bike and I'm braggin' like a 15 year old.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-21-19, 07:48 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by bruce19
FWIW...on July 24, 2013 I did an endo on my road bike on a state road. Broke my neck. Eight days and two 5-hr. operations later I was home with C1 & C2 fused. My surgeon was a cyclist. I had some other spinal fractures and my nose and lower lip had to be surgically repaired. My gf, who was just awesome, was at the hospital almost constantly. A rock. I told her that when I got back on the bike I was going to be better than ever. She was sure I was hallucinating. But, while I may not be better than "ever", I was back on the bike by November. I have a 6.5 mi. TT course and last year my goal was to do it at 18 mph. I did it at 19.2 mph. This week on a flat 1 mi. Strava segment I hit a PB at 24.6 mph. Clearly, I have been very lucky. OTOH, there are still things we can do at our age. And, we get to decide what, if any, "goals" matter to us. Ride on.

Oh....and I just got a new bike and I'm braggin' like a 15 year old.
That is a goal I have set for my self. To get back on a road bike, with drops, and feel good. Your Caad is beautiful and you should brag about it and your ability to come back from your disaster and wring this bike out. You could have folded up your tent and said I can't do it, or anything, but you didn't. Congratulations on your resolve and also, that beautiful bike. Envious!!!!!
Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 05-21-19, 10:18 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Old 05-29-19, 04:31 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I did 30miles in NYC took day off from work needed to get out and ride felt great
Likes For thehammerdog: