Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 04:39 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I ride to commute to work and to lose 100 lbs by next summer. I get a good workout being a lifestyle choice as opposed to a training goal.
Old 10-04-19, 05:10 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
My love with cycling started when I was a young boy on a warm summer evening, on Wallace St. in the late 60s. Been riding, collecting and tinkering ever since. As a young boy my bike was my everything. It was more than transportation, a way to get to the pool, my friends and donut shop, it was my buddy. The benefit of exercise, sunshine and fresh air, etc, are ancillary.

Last edited by Dr.Lou; 10-04-19 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-04-19, 09:20 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I always liked this one:

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, “Why are you riding your bicycles?”

The first student replied, “The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!” The teacher praised the first student. “You are a smart boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like I do.”

The second student replied, “I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path!” The teacher commended the second student, “Your eyes are open, and you see the world.”

The third student replied, “When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant nam myoho renge kyo.” The teacher gave his praise to the third student, “Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel.”

The fourth student replied, “Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all sentient beings.” The teacher was pleased and said to the fourth student, “You are riding on the golden path of non-harming.”

The fifth student replied, “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.” The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, “I am your student.”
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 10-05-19, 05:14 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
When you look at a bicycle, you see the most elegant machine ever invented. When you look at a sports / racing bicycle, the elegance and beauty is multiplied. When you ride it and your body is becoming part of the machine and the environment around you, there is no greater sense of well-being and freedom.

If I go too many days without getting out and riding on the flood-plains and levees in my area, I feel like a bag of s_ _ t!
Is it about ... I ride to live, or ah ... er ... live to ride? Hmmm ... at my age I think it's a bit of both )))))
Old 10-05-19, 12:14 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I just like to ride, and fortunately, cycling happens to be a very healthy activity, unless you fall off the bike.
Old 10-05-19, 01:07 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Transportation: Cheaper than driving, faster than the bus, more fun than either.

Physical fitness: I like to push my heart rate and make myself feel like puking. Helps with sleep.

Mental health and addiction: I started doing longer rides while trying to kick alcohol dependence/addiction. Alcohol has been gone a long time, but cycling stuck. I'm still an addict, but I'd rather be a cycling addict than a drunk.

The rush: Who wants to go 40+MPH on an 18 lb. piece of plastic while wearing nothing but underwear? Sign me up! The high after a long, difficult ride is a nice touch as well.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 10-05-19, 03:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I got into serious cycling in 2007. Started out as a mountain biker and then commuting to work and recreational riding. I haven't been able to stop since, it's just something that I really enjoy doing.
Old 10-05-19, 03:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
I ride so I can body shame the rest of fat America..... that is a lot of people....
Don't forget that people also get body shamed for being too skinny...As somebody who is very fit and athletic I just couldn't bring myself to body shame other people. Who am I to judge other persons appearance ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-05-19, 03:36 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Agree with all and I sum it up as I ride to live, and live to ride
Old 10-05-19, 06:03 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I ride for the Zen like meditative state I achieve

Now that I have your attention I do it for my health. Its always helped me keep my weight down and maintain tone.
I didn't ride for 10 years and was hitting the gym instead. My muscle weight has increased and now is the time for me to get trim again. I'm 5'9 1/2" and was up to 220 lbs with a 34 waist. Have gotten back down to 194 with 33'' waist 44" chest in past couple of years with diet and routine changes. Want to get down to 185ish range again. Not bad considering I'm in my 60s. May start doing half centuries but I don't think I will ever do century rides again due to periodic knee issues.

Last edited by thepartsguy; 10-05-19 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For thepartsguy:
Old 10-05-19, 06:16 PM
andcarrotrope

Bikes: 2017 Felt Verza Speed 10

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Many reasons, mostly for mental health.
Old 10-05-19, 07:13 PM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Don't forget that people also get body shamed for being too skinny...As somebody who is very fit and athletic I just couldn't bring myself to body shame other people. Who am I to judge other persons appearance ??
americans as a whole now a days are fat and getting fatter every year....look around its embarrassing
Old 10-05-19, 08:34 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
It is not who I am, but it is something I really like to do. And it is an integral part of my stress management strategy. My wife says she likes me better when I ride. And occasionally she will go with me...
Old 10-05-19, 09:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
americans as a whole now a days are fat and getting fatter every year....look around its embarrassing
I'm proof that a fat person can get thin. Wonder if anyone around here can demonstrate becoming a less fat head?
Old 10-05-19, 10:02 PM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm proof that a fat person can get thin. Wonder if anyone around here can demonstrate becoming a less fat head?
nice.... nothing but respect for getting r done....if people would get off their buts more the world would be a fitter place
Old 10-06-19, 12:24 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I ride because I can go visit places for next to almost nothing.
Old 10-06-19, 12:57 AM
codyB

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BicycleThesis
I've been training for a triathlon, and biking is a huge part. It is one of the main reasons I have started, but I can see myself continuing after the triathalon. It is super addictive.
I'm trying to get replies on my post and I've looked at other posts from the same time and they are getting tons of replies whereas my post still has zero. Why is that?
Old 10-06-19, 05:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
nice.... nothing but respect for getting r done....if people would get off their buts more the world would be a fitter place
Wooosssshhhh!
Old 10-06-19, 06:21 AM
cma379

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Exercise. I'm in the Navy and we have a biannual fitness test. The cardio portion can be done with a swim, bike, or run. I'm a terrible swimmer. We could do the run on a treadmill (at 1% incline) but my current command didn't have one back in 2013 and I didn't want to run outside because it can be hot and I'd rather run on a controlled environment.

So I started biking on the exercise bikes and did well enough. Come April 2019 and I wasn't in very good shape (relatively) as I'd been slacking but I got to go to Germany for training. Wow. Not only was it gorgeous in Garmisch, Germany but the cycling was great even on a mediocre rental bike. I watched a lot of GCN and returned excited about cycling so I bought a too expensive bike (Trek Domane SL5) and eventually got a bike for my wife and a turbo trainer.

The weather has been preposterously hot since June here in Georgia so I've rarely biked outside but I did manage to do my first century up in Delaware. I've mostly biked inside on Zwift (which I really enjoy). My FTP is up to 282 Watts from 240 Watts and my weight is down from 215 to 187. I'm almost at the maximum score I can get on the biking test in the Navy and if I do I'll be the only one of about 700 people at my command who ride the bike with a maximum (the scoring for the bike is absurd and really hard to max out).

So I ride for fitness, to lose weight, fit in my old dress pants (I easily fit in my 34 inch dress pants today and I haven't fit in them in years), and for fun. I would add "ride around outside" but the weather has been awful and there really aren't too many places to go to. Though we do have a Masters Road Course here on base that's a good 15 mile circuit with rolling hills.
How do you like your Domane. Mine is being built as we speak. I like getting feedback on it. It took me 1.5 months to decide on a bike and ultimately decided on the Domane. Thanks and keep up the good work
Old 10-06-19, 06:48 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by codyB
I'm trying to get replies on my post and I've looked at other posts from the same time and they are getting tons of replies whereas my post still has zero. Why is that?
I'll say hello and welcome even though I'm new here too.
Old 10-06-19, 06:50 PM
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
LOL at the video, that sure beats energy bar chunks stuck to the top tube.
Old 10-07-19, 01:36 AM
software hris

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride to exercise, and get rid of mind pollution. and its fun to circle the neighbourhood with bicycle.
Old 10-07-19, 11:22 AM
dwsmartins

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
For fun, commuting, health (I'm type 2 diabetic), weight control (about 8 years ago I was 157kg/345lb, now 115kg/255lb) and, above everything else, mental health.
Likes For dwsmartins:
Old 10-07-19, 11:33 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I started riding way back when the cost of parking reached 100$ a month. I decided that busing to work and biking for everything else was a good idea. Since then parking downtown is now 250$ a month and even in retirement I still love just biking.
Old 10-07-19, 12:09 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I don't have to think
Ha ha, this is one of the big ones for me.
A few months ago I retired, and figured I needed a hobby to keep me active. There are quite a number of rail trails within a couple hours drive of me, so I bought a bike. Ever since the first ride, I absolutely love biking on Pa's rail trails. Being a caregiver for my wife who acquired a brain injury 13 years ago. Biking is a big escape for me.
As noted, one of the things I like about it is "I don't have to think" about any problems, and can shut the world out. Its just the trail ahead of me, the sound of the tires rolling over the crushed limestone, and dry leaves. Its the peacefulness of it. Its the scenery riding along a rail trail that follows a stream, or river. Its the thought of wondering whats around the next bend. Its riding under a canopy of trees on a hot summer day, yet never get that over heated because of the cooler air moving over you. Its the experience of riding that trail you have never ridden yet. Even though most of my riding is in the 10 to 15mph range. I still enjoy a sprint on a long straight away of a half mile or longer. I'm always encouraged to tell my friends how much I like riding, and suggest to everyone that is retired to give biking a try. I'm pretty sure after four months of riding I'm hooked until the day I can't ride anymore. I have even bought some cold weather riding attire.
I can't wait until my ride next week on the 64 miles of the Pine Creek trail which part of runs through the grand canyon of Pa. I think the leaves will be at, or close to their fall peak, so if it isn't raining, its going to be an awesome trail to ride.
Likes For Alzerbster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.