Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dreary Week of Rain

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Dreary Week of Rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 06:30 PM
Celticgirl

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dreary Week of Rain

Sigh...... Another day stuck in the house here in Connecticut, raining all day and cold, the rest of the week doesn't look much better. Oh how I hate the North East!
Old 10-10-19, 06:54 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Just get wet gear and you can continue to ride! The nice thing about rain is at least you're cool.
Old 10-10-19, 07:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
sympathies. we wait so long for the nice weather. it does take some getting used to this every year. last fall was beautiful & we had a mild winter. so I remain optimistic. going away w/ Wifey this weekend to CT, to visit Daughter. hoping to get a nature hike in somehow, somewhere
Old 10-12-19, 09:50 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Indeed, there are days when you don’t feel to ride – due to the weather, or maybe because you’re not feeling as energetic etc.

One thing I discovered that sometimes helps, is to have your ‘lazy day’ so to speak but prep for a ride the next morning. Perhaps starting the mental process by cleaning your bike. Then, the next morning early: RIDE! No matter how foul the weather or how you feel. You decide how long, how far. You can make it a very short ride, but often you’ll discover that joy is upon you :-) Once home: relax, take a shower, drink a cup of tea ...
Likes For Bikewolf:
Old 10-12-19, 10:05 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I ride in all kinds of weather thanks to my old faithful MTB with fenders, lights, the works. Yet, no matter how cold or wet it is outside (be wary of ice) I never fail to overheat in the rain gear I have because it doesn't breathe. Woe is me But hey, it's that time of the year so we push through it and really really look forward to that cup of Joe at the end of the ride (and sometimes at the convenience store we pass along the way) It's all good, just make the most of it!
Old 10-13-19, 08:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I ride with a rain cape. It doesn't keep me 100% dry, but it keeps me more comfortable.
Old 10-18-19, 01:28 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Got absolutely soaked on a 3-hour ride this afternoon. I think the famous Oregon rains are finally starting. Hang on...
Old 10-18-19, 02:00 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I'll admit rain is probably my least fun riding. No, wait, very windy is worse. I've been blessed, most of the times on the rainy days I'll catch a break and it'll stop long enough for me to go. But a lot of times I'm going at 9pm or 10pm. Which seems like a lot of times it stops around then.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 10-18-19, 03:13 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Proper gear can at least make it tolerable (some people actually enjoy it). I have good wet weather gear because I lived in Seattle for 3 years. People here think I'm nuts for riding in mild rain.

I regularly rode 12 months, although when conditions actually got icy, I would drive.

Now that I have a velomobile, I'm going to ride all winter too.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 10-23-19, 04:14 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
You should definitely try making a go of rain riding. For me, a bad day riding is better than a day with no riding. Riding is my therapy. The more I ride in bad weather, the less bad it is for me.

Fenders make a huge difference. Enough time in the rain and I will get soaked, but it's SO uncomfortable having my front wheel splashing my feet and my rear wheel splashing my butt crack. With fenders, the rain falls on me from above only.

I often wear a cycling jacket which is basically a heavy jersey. It's synthetic and has the property that wool has in that it keeps me pretty warm while wet. It doesn't keep me dry. I usually prefer it to a rain jacket because a rain jacket traps too much moisture and heat inside. With my cycling jacket, I'm basically wearing a warm sponge, and I usually don't mind. Sometimes I put my rain jacket over the cycling jacket.

Another thing I've noticed is that on most days when rain is in the forecast, I miss the rain on at least one of my trips. (I'm a bike commuter.) And then when I do ride in the rain, most of the time, the rain is light and not the soaking kind. So when I head out on "rainy days," I'm taking a risk but it's not a sure thing that I'll get uncomfortably wet. And when the risk is pretty big, I make sure I have a change of clothes so I can change out if I get wet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-23-19, 05:28 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I second pretty much everything @noglider shared. Ultimately, for me, you can come up with whatever combo of stuff you think is going to give you your best shot in the wet, but at the end of the day, for me it is all about the feet. If my feet are miserable, I'm probably headed toward miserable. If my feet are pretty good, I don't really care how hard it's raining. It's water. Who cares? At that point, even if it is really coming down, it is just a technical challenge added to the ride. And as pointed out above, unless you live in West Maui or St. Barts or something, sustained extreme downpours just aren't that common. I'm of course excluding severe thunderstorms in, say, Texas or Florida, which no reasonable cyclist should ever be out in. That goes without saying.

I've lived all over the United States and I do believe the people who have the rain best figured out are in fact the Pacific Northwesterners. People in Seattle and Portland just don't let it slow them down. If they did, if they waited for the weather to clear before they went outside to do something, they would never do anything. It rains eight months out of the year! So you pull a hood over your head and carry on. Like I said, it's just water. It's just not that big of a deal.
Old 10-24-19, 11:06 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

I went in the rain last night. Like mention previously it wasn't a downpour and it was actually kind of nice. The rain drop were like icicles though. But my face was the only thing cold. And not overly so. I gotta figure out something for my face as the temps drop. I don't like growing a beard cuz my hairs are so thick it hurts. I kid you no, every once in a beard hair will actually penetrate skin and be like a sliver. I did buy some beard balm but lately I've just been shaving more cuz it's just better. But won't be better for winter.
Old 10-27-19, 11:29 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I ride with a rain cape. It doesn't keep me 100% dry, but it keeps me more comfortable.
I second the rain cape. I only use it when the temps get cooler. Also, I don't use it in high wind or thunder and lightening.
Old 10-27-19, 12:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
The Tour de Bronx was scheduled for today. I think 7,000 riders were registered. They canceled it because of a predicted deluge, and it did come. It's sad, but it was the right decision.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-27-19, 02:34 PM
3S1M

I rode in the rain last night and I quite liked it. But I only go 2 miles so.... And it's just for exercise, not commuting.