Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Daylight savings time ends...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 11-03-19, 04:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts

Don't forget to check the batteries in your blinky's, and watch out for ninja joggers.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-03-19, 05:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I have already expressed my deep disdain for DST many times on these forums...Moving clocks back 1 hour doesn't do anything for me. I actually lost 1 hour of sleep today because I am programmed to get up early at the same time everyday. So I ended getting up at the same time as always and missing 1 hour of sleep.
Old 11-03-19, 05:52 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have already expressed my deep disdain for DST many times on these forums...Moving clocks back 1 hour doesn't do anything for me. I actually lost 1 hour of sleep today because I am programmed to get up early at the same time everyday. So I ended getting up at the same time as always and missing 1 hour of sleep.
I'm not programmed....but my cats are,and they faithfully informed me of their opinion of when I should get out of bed and fill their plates, this AM.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 11-03-19, 06:03 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You and me both. Just so much foolishness. Driving home from an out-of-town trip today, my wife and I were listening to "The Hidden Brain" segment and they 'claimed' worldwide there was a 24% increase and corresponding 24% decrease in heart attacks associated with DST clock resetting. Hmm, need to research that claim a bit more.
Old 11-03-19, 06:23 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
You and me both. Just so much foolishness. Driving home from an out-of-town trip today, my wife and I were listening to "The Hidden Brain" segment and they 'claimed' worldwide there was a 24% increase and corresponding 24% decrease in heart attacks associated with DST clock resetting. Hmm, need to research that claim a bit more.
I'd bet on 4 percent.
Old 11-03-19, 06:37 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 5,483 Times in 2,841 Posts
Here is an interesting idea: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/universal-time-zones
Old 11-03-19, 07:17 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Hmm, not sure how this would go over with the masses.
Old 11-03-19, 07:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,539 Posts

I wish. It's just on a 4 month hiatus. I love these few months were we can celebrate real time. The sun has always hit due south at the true noon. Having that moment roughly 12:00 just feels right. DST is like shifting our reference angles (horizontal and vertical) 15 degrees. "To get that wall vertical, you gotta set it a 75 (or 105) degrees." Level floors: 15 or -15 degrees. This would make carpentry so much easier.

Ben
Old 11-04-19, 07:59 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Every year, I think that the extra hour of sleep is going to do something magical for me (I'm naturally nocturnal). Nope - I still feel like trash when the alarm clocks go off, and now get to spend an extra hour of my awake time in darkness!

I've got a handful of lights ready for the commute home (which has been half dark lately, anyway). It's the first year I've done this particular commute, so I will be experimenting with the dark trail vs. dark roads. I think I trust the dark roads more: drivers are predictably distracted, whereas the critters on the trail are not. If only I could get the deer, bunnies, snakes, and frogs to start using headlights...
Old 11-04-19, 10:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
My commuting is better since DST ended (I liked it better before the feral congrescritters decided to extend daylight time by a month). I far prefer morning commutes when it's light. At the end of the day, I feel safer when it's dark my entire homeward commute than when I have to deal with the dusk glare. My lights show up better against dark than against the setting sun, and I figure I'm more visible when drivers' eyes have had a few minutes to adjust after the sun has set.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-04-19, 10:18 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I far prefer morning commutes when it's light.
+1. I've been deferring my ride into work later and later to be able to ride in the sun. These days we're getting fog in the morning and I'd just as soon wait a little longer for some of it to burn off. Coming home it's a little warmer and no fog.
Old 11-04-19, 06:37 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
As I understand, there are many States and Provinces in the US and Canada where there is very strong support amongst the population to get rid of DST. But each government is reluctant to actually go through with it citing they don't want to distrupt inter provincial and inter state businesses.

Everybody is in favour of something but nobody wants to make the first move so nothing gets done. Sound familiar?
Old 11-05-19, 10:11 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
As I understand, there are many States and Provinces in the US and Canada where there is very strong support amongst the population to get rid of DST. But each government is reluctant to actually go through with it citing they don't want to distrupt inter provincial and inter state businesses.

Everybody is in favour of something but nobody wants to make the first move so nothing gets done. Sound familiar?
Canada would love to switch but we cant, not until the US switches. This is one of those things where the president / dictator trump should put his foot down.... more sun light for all.
Old 11-05-19, 03:35 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Darkness and light catch up with us no matter what - a 1-hour shift is really not effective.
Old 11-05-19, 05:17 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Here I am in Phoenix getting ready to ride home and it's only a very slight amount closer to dark than this time last week. This week my conference calls with California all got their schedules shifted, dang DST peeps trying to mess with my lunch time.
Old 11-05-19, 07:35 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
The re-setting of the clocks messes me up entirely, to the point where I lose all enthusiasm about riding to work. I'm not even sure why.

On a positive note, though, if I wake up to a mild morning one of these days, I know the ride toward the east will be safer without the blaring sunrise directly in front of me and in the eyes of all the drivers on my side of the road.
Old 11-05-19, 08:21 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Our state did recently approve getting rid of it, which would mean the entire west coast, all three states, could potentially be operating free of DST in the future. Not sure exactly what the waiver process at the federal level is. No idea how long this might take or what the politics might be that could push against Oregon, Washington, and California doing this. Are there any industries that could be harmed by this change? I wonder. We shall see.
Old 11-06-19, 07:48 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Stick with Standard Time and don't change.
Old 11-06-19, 10:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Stick with Standard Time and don't change.
Which was what I did in the last few years of working. I went to work and came home as if I hadn't changed the clocks. This works for those who had jobs that allowed this type of flexibility.