Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New to me crank replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 11:18 AM
Loftydog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, I have a new to me Trek 820 that I think I may need to replace the crankset, there are 2 teeth next to each other missing from the largest chainring. So far it hasn't been an issue as I haven't been using that high of a gear yet. From what I've read so far, looks like I should replace it. The sticker on it says SR Suntour XR PFF 120 and the Trek website says the 820 has a Shimano Tourney TY301, 42/34/24, 170mm length. I'm guessing mine is an older setup or was already replaced. Can instill use a Shimino? So far in looking around, I can get a new Shamino for not much more than a used Suntour (don't see new ones).

Thank you all in advance.
Old 04-29-24, 11:28 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 3,926 Times in 1,918 Posts
Not necessary to replace the whole crankset. You could just replace that individual chainring.
Edit: I may be wrong, not sure the largest ring comes off that crank? how about this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/296287326441 does that look the same?

Last edited by SoCaled; 04-29-24 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-29-24, 11:33 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Loftydog
Hello all, I have a new to me Trek 820 that I think I may need to replace the crankset, there are 2 teeth next to each other missing from the largest chainring. So far it hasn't been an issue as I haven't been using that high of a gear yet. From what I've read so far, looks like I should replace it. The sticker on it says SR Suntour XR PFF 120 and the Trek website says the 820 has a Shimano Tourney TY301, 42/34/24, 170mm length. I'm guessing mine is an older setup or was already replaced. Can instill use a Shimino? So far in looking around, I can get a new Shamino for not much more than a used Suntour (don't see new ones).
I wouldn't worry about it as long the chain stays on the ring, which it probably will (if there are bent or ragged bits you can straighten and smooth them, if the ring is actually warped you will need to straighten or replace it). It's common for mountain bikes that get ridden in rocky conditions to lose a couple of teeth, usually equidistant between the cranks on one side only, which depends on the rider's favoured foot - I ride left foot forward, so it will always be the bottom teeth when the drive side crank is at 9 o'clock that get ripped off.
Old 04-29-24, 11:48 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 893 Posts
Are you sure there aren't "teeth missing" at regular intervals around the ring.
aka "shift aids".
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-29-24, 12:06 PM
Loftydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SoCaled, yes that looks just like it! With shipping I can get the Shimino on Trek's website a little cheaper and brand new. But it's not a big difference and it might be better to leave well enough alone?
Old 04-29-24, 12:06 PM
Loftydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grumpus, thank you for the info!
Old 04-29-24, 12:08 PM
Loftydog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Are you sure there aren't "teeth missing" at regular intervals around the ring.
aka "shift aids".
Yeah, there are no missing ones like that, just the two, but that is good to know, didn't know about shift aids, ty