Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

What is the reason that makes you prefer recumbents?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

What is the reason that makes you prefer recumbents?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 02:43 AM
hiracer
Hiracer

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, Bacchetta Strada, Diamondback MTB, Lemond Sarthe DF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bents are so fast that they've been illegal for racing for over 70 years. How to not like that?
Old 08-09-05, 02:13 PM
pauncho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does seem to me that people who ask why others would choose a recumbent are asking a rhetorical question. One kind of bicycle is less expensive, easier to get around on a car, and has a cool reputation. It's use involves stradling something the size and texture of a brick. The other kind of bicycle is more expensive, too big to get around on a car easily, and has a nerdy reputation. It's use involves sitting on something very like a padded lawn chair. Golly, I wonder what would motivate the users of bicycle type 'B'?
Old 08-11-05, 10:09 AM
OldShacker

Bikes: Cannondale R300, RT1000, Trek1000c, EZ sport cx, EZ Tandem (tuna boat)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute to work about 12-ish miles one way and had my Sun EZ Sport CX for about 13 days now with almost 250 miles on it and I feel great going and coming from work. The wind is bad at times so I now have an Edge wind shield. (great for keeping the bugs out of my face) I find myself going a tad faster than my cross bike because I enjoy pedaling almost the full commute. My take offs need work but I make up for it. Where I park my bike at work it gets a lot of attention. One of the garage attendants said that a lot of people wonder how my feet stay on the SPD pedals.
I like the bike and wished I got one long ago.
Now the bike I have is like a long tank but I like it and keep recommending it to all that ask or talk about it to. The funny thing is that most of the guys on my commute path who have a bent feel the same and we all have various comfort speeds my is about 14-18 mph on bike paths. I do find that I been set at 21 mph with a tad of effort. One hill I have I got it to go 37 mph down it without pedaling off my seat. I like it at 30-ish going down that hill. Going up hill I go only about 7 to 9-ish but I am not killing myself. I feel I can have a sip of tea on the way up. And did I say turns are fun? I have a few S turns that make my commute fun.
I really like the bike and will keep recommending it.
Old 08-11-05, 11:12 AM
PALux

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No more hand pain or cramping…. Even on my 5.2 mile commute my hands were becoming numb. Secondary is less butt pain and numbness. I just completed a 450 mile solo tour that was originally planed on a df touring bike. Starting each morning after the first day was so different. No butt pain to overcome and legs were not sore at all.

Up hills is still my downfall but the down run is exhilarating. I am finding that completing century and metric century rides seem to be faster than in past years on a df. With only 1,500 miles on the bent since May I seem to be getting better each ride. Am looking forward to next year for a full year comparison. On scheduled rides I am still passed by what seems to be everyone but I finish and find many are still out on the road.

Phil
Old 08-13-05, 01:12 PM
erik forsgren

Bikes: Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pauncho
It does seem to me that people who ask why others would choose a recumbent are asking a rhetorical question. One kind of bicycle is less expensive, easier to get around on a car, and has a cool reputation. It's use involves stradling something the size and texture of a brick. The other kind of bicycle is more expensive, too big to get around on a car easily, and has a nerdy reputation. It's use involves sitting on something very like a padded lawn chair. Golly, I wonder what would motivate the users of bicycle type 'B'?
I think you get a very quick answer to that question if you try a recumbent and learn how to ride it.
Old 08-14-05, 02:57 PM
madbadger4
no particular place to go

Bikes: Rans Stratus Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by megaman
Rail/trails are my cup of tea. Not just bike paths. My bent handles the different surfaces well, unless torn up by ATVs. Since my hands don't go numb and my rump doesn't bother me after a long ride-there ya go.
Megaman,

DITTO (as to why I ride a 'bent) !

What 'bent are you riding (for trails) ?

I'm riding a Rans Stratus for city, light touring and trails; would be interested in any "trail tips" (set-up, etc).

My personal goal is to ride all of Wisconsin's rail trails and Rustic Roads on my 'bent, one at a time !

msm
Old 08-16-05, 01:06 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero and a Giro dual 26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
Yeah and Lance puts out more wattage than both you and I put together to do that speed.
If you want to see if your high racer can beat a lowracer on a hilly course, come on out to the hilly hundred in Indiana this fall and have a go at it.
Listen dude,

I am not driving anywhere to prove anything to a knucklehead like you. If you want some action it will be at my time and my choosing. And I just got an email from Rich Pinto that full team Bacchetta support will follow any race you want to have.
Team Bacchetta is attracting lots of young talent to ride there bikes so I would just stop and shut my mouth right now Chris. This is just a little friendly advice to you dude.
The fastest non-pro training ride happens in Dousman Wisconsin at 8:00 AM every Saturday. Trek pro's regularly show since Tom's shop is a premere dealership for Trek bikes. We have many Cat 1/2 riders at this training ride who are young and fast. 27 mph average for about 40 miles. Lots of older top Cat riders also call this event home. So bring that lowracer. And BTW you better be faster than hall of famer 'bent rider AA on a lowracer cause he could not do anything with these folks.
The focking real honest to god facts man....

Magilla
Old 08-16-05, 01:47 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magilla Gorilla
Listen dude,

I am not driving anywhere to prove anything to a knucklehead like you. If you want some action it will be at my time and my choosing. And I just got an email from Rich Pinto that full team Bacchetta support will follow any race you want to have.
Team Bacchetta is attracting lots of young talent to ride there bikes so I would just stop and shut my mouth right now Chris. This is just a little friendly advice to you dude.
The fastest non-pro training ride happens in Dousman Wisconsin at 8:00 AM every Saturday. Trek pro's regularly show since Tom's shop is a premere dealership for Trek bikes. We have many Cat 1/2 riders at this training ride who are young and fast. 27 mph average for about 40 miles. Lots of older top Cat riders also call this event home. So bring that lowracer. And BTW you better be faster than hall of famer 'bent rider AA on a lowracer cause he could not do anything with these folks.
The focking real honest to god facts man....

Magilla

One more thing,

Tom, the owner of the shop who is 53 years old hangs with this group and drops them on the flats and keeps up with them on the hills with his Bacchetta Aero.
You will absolutely have your ass handed to you by a group of real road racers.
Its all about respect man and The Bacchetta Aero deserves that respect which you refuse to give.
Its your choice. Put up or shut up! But its on my terms and at my time. Drive to Wisconsin. Shut me up. put me down if you can. I have quite a few DF friends that will humble you and shut you up in a big time way.
I will tell them your comming....

Magilla
Old 08-16-05, 04:34 AM
Bianchiriderlon
Totally Bent

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, what means "DF?" Diamond Frame? I'm new to the term.

Thx
Old 08-16-05, 06:50 AM
bikerski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my advice is always if you are comfortable on a DF, and many people are, ride a DF because you can get more bike for your dollar, they are faster overal if any hills are in your path. If you aren't comfortable, a recumbent is great. Or do like me, ride DFwith DF friends and recumbents with recumbent friends. Take the DF out and hammer the hills. Take the recumbent on rolling training rides and long tours. Get the best of both. DF also gives you a more full body work out. Abbs and glutes get more fully toned on a DF.
Old 08-17-05, 12:03 PM
BentBob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chose a bent because it gets me out of my shop and reminds of whats really important in my life - to enjoy it! I find the seat position is very comfortable, allows me to take in the scenery and when I want too - to enjoy pushing my limits. It also helps me to take in what I'm feeling. Each breathe and every pedal seems to resolve some of those agitated feelings that makes living on earth a real pain in the ass.
Enjoy your ride!
Bob
Old 08-18-05, 11:47 PM
Magilla Gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerski
my advice is always if you are comfortable on a DF, and many people are, ride a DF because you can get more bike for your dollar, they are faster overal if any hills are in your path. If you aren't comfortable, a recumbent is great. Or do like me, ride DFwith DF friends and recumbents with recumbent friends. Take the DF out and hammer the hills. Take the recumbent on rolling training rides and long tours. Get the best of both. DF also gives you a more full body work out. Abbs and glutes get more fully toned on a DF.
I agree and disagree with your post here. I just did a 5 hour plus ride on my DF bike with the go fast guys in a really hilly part of Wisconsin. This was not a race but there was some friendly competition up the long climbs. The truth is that on the Aero on the same course I am faster on the Aero than the DF bike. But mixing with the DF'ers on a hilly course is easier on the same platform.
I was totaly comfortable on the DF machine. I know how to train and ride either a 'bent or an upwrong bike....

Magilla