Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend (or Week's) Rides -- June 29/30

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 07:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us all about your cycling recently and over the weekend.

Down here, we're 1 month into winter. Brrrrr ... chilly days! What's it like where you are?
Old 06-29-18, 07:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Friday - 4.5 km walking + Zwift.

It was Zwift's flat Richmond route and I was going to ride it as a casual ride ... but there were these sprints ...

I hit a power there that I didn't think was possible for me!!

Distance: 14.62 km
Elevation: 32 m
Moving Time: 32:45
Elapsed Time: 32:45

.................... Avg ........... Max
Speed . . . . . . 26.8km/h ... 42.5km/h
Heart Rate . . . 135bpm .... 178bpm
Cadence . . . . . 79 ........... 145
Power . . . . . . 90W .......... 284W

Last edited by Machka; 06-30-18 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-30-18, 12:02 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
After work ride last night to the Huntington Beach ( So California) pier and back. 25 miles. Max speed 24 mph. Avg speed 13.9 (a personal best). Ride time 1:47 (also a personal best). I'm 63, ride a 33 yo Peugeot (bought new) and have only been back in the saddle for a year after a 20 year hiatus. Not a biggie, I know, but I'm having fun and loving it. I just wish I was 40 years younger.
Jon
Old 06-30-18, 12:40 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wife and kids went out, so I had a couple hours this weekend.

I did 30 miles with 1400 get climbing with an average moving speed of 17mph. It was crazy humid, and I think I was dehydrated on the ride back. I had very little energy on the way back even though it was mostly losing all the elevationi gained.

When I got back home I guzzled some water and started sweating even more.

I was happy to get out, but my fitness level is sort of crap after breaking my arm over two months ago. Said arm not doesn't fully extend still, so my back was not feeling great. I'll be needing to get out more though because I want to lose some weight before visiting the States for the wind next month.

Old 06-30-18, 05:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- One of the Flat Routes on Zwift. Just a casual ride.

Distance: 20.50km
Elevation: 83m
Moving Time: 49:01
Elapsed Time: 49:01

Speed . . . . . . 25.1km/h ... 43.6km/h
Heart Rate . . . 126bpm .... 138bpm
Cadence . . . . . 76 ............ 82
Power . . . . . . 82W............ 93W
Old 06-30-18, 11:44 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
What does any 68yo in 10 days self respecting bicyclist do after being under for 3 hours of prostate cancer surgery 3 days ago with Mr. Foley as a companion for 10 days? Ride 5 miles to the LBS to say HI to the 8AM ride gang and see them off then stop on the way home for some food shopping.

11 miles of cycling bliss.
Old 06-30-18, 02:54 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Went to one of my favorite riding areas; Morgan county south of the Tennessee River. Rode from Cotaco to Eva and back in a wide loop. Lots of goats and LOTS and LOTS of chicken farms. Moved a turtle out of the road. I'm not sure if I should even be allowed on this forum anymore; I don't have gps or even a speedometer on my bike. I was just winging it for the southern half of the ride; just going by the compass in my head. The gas station in Eva only cooked fried foods so I bought the biggest pickle I'd ever seen and ate half of that with half a Larabar.

56.8 miles, 2885 feet of climbing. 15 mph if you don't count the rest stop time. :-)

Old 06-30-18, 06:36 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Friday - 3 day weekend for me. Just did my base 25 mile route. But the pace was slow. Ran into a lost rider mid-ride and cruised taking him back out for a few miles. Then crazy winds came in killing the rest of the ride.

Saturday - Decided to try climbing again but this time with a triple. So I took out the Lemond Gan GLX with has a nice Campagnolo Racing T setup. Worked well for the 2690 ft of climbing during my 53 mile ride. Totally gorgeous out, temps in the lower 70s with clear blue skies. Lots of wind today but none of it mattered because it was so nice out. Stopped a lot to take pics.

Today's steed:

Shots from the climbing part of the ride:

The lake from up top:

And some from the last 20 miles in the valley:

Old 06-30-18, 07:17 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I did a 50 mile beach loop today in the heat.

I did a ride along here a few weeks ago:

Old 06-30-18, 07:21 PM
zacster

Same ride as above. It was the most spectacular ride I ever did. 30 miles and barely a car on the road. It looked like this the entire way.

I suppose you want to know where it is?
Old 06-30-18, 07:35 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Got a cold during the week and feel under the weather - taking some rest. It is a bit cold and rainy here in pacific northwest.
Old 06-30-18, 08:34 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by zacster

Same ride as above. It was the most spectacular ride I ever did. 30 miles and barely a car on the road. It looked like this the entire way.

I suppose you want to know where it is?
Looks sort of like Switzerland. But yes, we'd like to know.
Old 07-01-18, 04:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday -- Rowan and I did a 0.6 metre walk to and from a little local grocery store, and then I spent a bit of time on Zwift.

Distance: 21.08 km
Elevation: 144 m
Moving Time: 52:41
Elapsed Time: 52:41

Speed . . . . . . 24.0km/h ... 62.6km/h
Heart Rate . . . 136bpm .... 165bpm
Cadence . . . . . 79 ............ 129
Power . . . . . . 89W ........... 212W
Old 07-01-18, 06:26 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
We had a slightly different club run yesterday morning. Instead of our normal lap, the entire club did an extended route that took in Burrington Combe and Cheddar Gorge, two of the more well known climbs in the area, with a cafe stop towards the bottom of the gorge. 50 miles, roughly 4000 feet of climbing. It was basically a never ending sea of club colours climbing Cheddar.
Old 07-01-18, 07:23 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by Machka
Looks sort of like Switzerland. But yes, we'd like to know.
It was Sogne fjord, Norway, near Balestrand. The road was relatively flat because it follows the water but as you can see the mountains are straight up from the sides. It was 80F/27C that day and yet the snow line was still pretty far down, and as you can see from the water nearly windless. I only stopped because it was a rental bike and I needed to return it, I otherwise would have gone another 30. While I was riding the rest of the family was kayaking. It is a great thing to have a big body of water with almost no boats on it. We didn't have time to do both, it was just a stopover.

We also were in Copenhagen and Amsterdam, the two most cycling friendly cities, and rented bikes there as it really is the only way to get around. Everybody rides. Also Oslo and Bergen, and neither of these were particularly cycling friendly, and also they have hills. It was a great trip.

Here's a street view from the Fjords

Last edited by zacster; 07-01-18 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-01-18, 07:29 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by zacster
It was Sogne fjord, Norway, near Balestrand. The road was relatively flat because it follows the water but as you can see the mountains are straight up from the sides. It was 80F/27C that day and yet the snow line was still pretty far down, and as you can see from the water nearly windless. I only stopped because it was a rental bike and I needed to return it, I otherwise would have gone another 30. While I was riding the rest of the family was kayaking. It is a great thing to have a big body of water with almost no boats on it. We didn't have time to do both, it was just a stopover.
Looks like a really beautiful area, thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 07-01-18, 10:05 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts

I drove over to eastern WA and western ID for a bit of sun.
Gravel roads around Colfax and Steptoe Butte on Fri. Trail of the Coeur d’Alene on Sat. The Trail is paved and smooth, with purpose built bridges just for us cyclists. Literature says no e-bikes but saw a lot of ‘em. Only rode 25 of the 75 mile length.
Old 07-01-18, 12:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Yesterday had a little birthday party, & it was hot.

Today cooler, but smoky from fires to the north

so not looking good for getting miles in.
Old 07-01-18, 01:29 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Wildwood

I drove over to eastern WA and western ID for a bit of sun.
Gravel roads around Colfax and Steptoe Butte on Fri. Trail of the Coeur d’Alene on Sat. The Trail is paved and smooth, with purpose built bridges just for us cyclists. Literature says no e-bikes but saw a lot of ‘em. Only rode 25 of the 75 mile length.
Great bunch of shots, looks like a great place to ride.
Old 07-01-18, 01:35 PM
jamesdak 

Sunday - A tad over 25 miles. I wasn't expecting much on the ride today. But I took out the GP&GS Lemond today and wound up posting my fastest overall pace for any ride this year. Not bad since the legs were so heavy from yesterday's ride. First half wasn't really all that fast but around mid ride I started concentrating on carrying some speed.

This Lemond is a custom job done by the man himself and presented to a group of friends call The Gentleman's Poodle & Grouse Society. This bike originally belonged to a pro that raced for Team Saturn. I lucked out into picking this one up.

Greg with the team and one of the bikes, only a handful were made.

Old 07-01-18, 04:50 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesdak
OK, another photography question: how do you capture the bright sun-shininess without anything being washed out? The way you propped the bike up suggests the photo was taken away from any studio conveniences, but I find it hard to believe this was taken in the middle of a ride.
Old 07-01-18, 05:06 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by kbarch
OK, another photography question: how do you capture the bright sun-shininess without anything being washed out? The way you propped the bike up suggests the photo was taken away from any studio conveniences, but I find it hard to believe this was taken in the middle of a ride.
LOL, it was probably between 10:30 - 11:00 and as you can see by the shadow I had it being lit by the still raising sun. Broke my dang mirror taking the shot. Other than that it was just whatever a default Galaxy S7 camera comes set as. Broke my phone about a week ago and this was taken with the replacement. I haven't even dug into the camera settings yet.
Old 07-01-18, 05:35 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, yesterday I headed out a little late (gotten to be a bad habit), did a flat loop to warm up, then headed up my new favorite climb. Was sure I'd gotten a PR. Snapped a picture where the road ended, then made my way to the Market (totally hauling at one point) and then to the park and what most folks call River Road. Stopped for another photo, checked Strava, and... NOOOOO!!!!! It was "stopped," and never recorded a thing.
I got it going and headed on my way. Did manage to match a PR and get top time for the day one busy segment (something like 300+ other Stravatizers yesterday) on 9W that I like. That part was 11 miles, 770'

Today I decided I would retrace everything that Strava missed yesterday. Same bike, identical route, and more or less the same efforts. Sure enough, PR on my fave little climb. 27.7 miles, 1470' in all that. Took a different route home - basically turned around and headed home via Alpine, etc. For some reason, I tried to get an insane PR on a 2/10 mile 6% climb. Insane, because there wasn't any tailwind to speak of or anyone around to give me a leadout, and it was quite hot out. Did manage best time of the day (of 79 riders, and 11 seconds ahead of the next guy), but fell four seconds short of PR, and I had to ride a mile (slowly) round and round the little circle at the top, just trying to catch my breath before the main ascent out. 13.6 miles and just under 1,000' on the return. Last mile home was the same as yesterday, and I took the same picture of the temperature at the bank: Actually, re-took most of the pictures from yesterday.

Top of my favorite little climb.

Where I discovered Strava had failed me.

Parked next to a cool bike at The Market today. Has the same crank set as mine (Athena) but everything else was Ultegra.

Last edited by kbarch; 07-01-18 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 05:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
39 miles Friday, my first real road ride since I was hit by a car in early May, busting up my shoulder. Just a casual group ride with friends. I took the flat bar hybrid with cushy tires.

My road bike is on the trainer where I've used it for a couple of weeks. I'm okay indoors but I can tell from a very short test ride outside on the road bike I'm not ready for drop bars on bumpy roads yet.
Old 07-01-18, 06:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
...Stopped for another photo, checked Strava, and... NOOOOO!!!!! It was "stopped," and never recorded a thing.
If you allow Google to record your activities by default, it'll show up on your private Google timeline. You can download the data file, convert it to a Strava-compatible format, and recover most data. I've done that once or twice.

When I got an Android phone last winter I decided to enable Google tracking by default, mainly as an electronic witness in case I was struck by a vehicle, animal on my rural rides or just crashed on my own, and might be unconscious or have memory loss due to concussion.

This was useful in May when I was struck by a car. I wasn't unconscious but the Google data confirmed my version of what happened and clarified that the driver was at fault. And it might be admissible as evidence in court since the Google data cannot be modified -- it can be deleted, or downloaded and ported to another format where that data can be modified. But the original Google data file can't be altered.

And unlike my various activity apps -- Strava, Cyclemeter, Wahoo Fitness, Charity Miles, others -- Google activity recording has never failed so far.

It's also been useful for documenting my medical appointments for my insurance claims. A couple of times the appointments were changed but I forgot to note it on my calendar. But I can check Google timeline to see where I actually was on any given day/time and confirm that I did indeed have an ortho appointment or other medical appt related to the collision injury.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.