Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 07:37 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

i recently bought a bike on ebay ..it cost 5000 brand new it is carbon fiber in pristine condition with high end components...its 9 years old ..its more bike than i could afford when it was new. i bought in a auction on ebay for 1000 dollars and 100 for shipping...i ask myself why people shell out mega bucks for new bikes when they can buy it for pennies on the dollar later....there are alot of high dollar bike deals on ebay...buying new seems like a waste of money
Likes For robnol:
Old 08-28-19, 08:02 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
True of almost all consumer items, cars especially, TVs, cameras, you name it. It's called "life".
Old 08-28-19, 08:03 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Used furniture, used clothing, used cars, and on and on. You must spend a lot of time asking yourself questions.
Likes For zarbog:
Old 08-28-19, 08:08 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Ok. I'd rather not wait 10 years to get the bike I have today for "pennies on the dollar" when I bought it brand new for 50% of MSRP anyway. Big difference in components after 10 years. I'll happily sell you my bike in 10 years for pennies on the dollar after I've enjoyed it for a decade.
Likes For puma1552:
Old 08-28-19, 09:54 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by puma1552
Ok. I'd rather not wait 10 years to get the bike I have today for "pennies on the dollar" when I bought it brand new for 50% of MSRP anyway. Big difference in components after 10 years. I'll happily sell you my bike in 10 years for pennies on the dollar after I've enjoyed it for a decade.
i will buy it for pennies on the dollar... u shell out the mega bucks and i will enjoy it just as much knowing i wasnt dumb enough to buy something that loses its value faster than an american car...
Old 08-28-19, 10:02 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
i will buy it for pennies on the dollar... u shell out the mega bucks and i will enjoy it just as much knowing i wasnt dumb enough to buy something that loses its value faster than an american car...
Somebody has to buy it new or there would not be used to buy later.
I have bought new and I've bought used and...
If I can afford it I will buy new
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-28-19, 10:07 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by MarcusT
Somebody has to buy it new or there would not be used to buy later.
I have bought new and I've bought used and...
If I can afford it I will buy new
nothing wrong with new...if u have the funds to do so,alot of people dont
Likes For robnol:
Old 08-28-19, 10:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I dont understand why you consider buying a new bike to be dumb. Each person's priorities and wants are different in this hobby- it shouldn't be difficult to understand and respect that.

I dont understand why some people are willing to pay various amounts for products I dont find the same amount of value in, but I dont consider the people to be dumb- I just consider our priorities and what we value to be different.

Example- to the core, I cant grasp why someone who is just an enthusiast riding 2000mi each year would spend $1200 on a wheelset. To me, it makes no sense because I dont value wheelsets in the same what some others do. But i dont think they are dumb just because i cant see what they see. They view that wheelset as worth the money for their goals/priorities/experiences.

And this is coming from someone whose 4 person family has owned probably 35 bikes in total, has 13 bikes currently, and only 2 of those bikes were purchased new.

If even I think you are being extreme, I cant imagine what those who only buy new think.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-28-19, 10:13 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont understand why you consider buying a new bike to be dumb. Each person's priorities and wants are different in this hobby- it shouldn't be difficult to understand and respect that.

I dont understand why some people are willing to pay various amounts for products I dont find the same amount of value in, but I dont consider the people to be dumb- I just consider our priorities and what we value to be different.

Example- to the core, I cant grasp why someone who is just an enthusiast riding 2000mi each year would spend $1200 on a wheelset. To me, it makes no sense because I dont value wheelsets in the same what some others do. But i dont think they are dumb just because i cant see what they see. They view that wheelset as worth the money for their goals/priorities/experiences.

And this is coming from someone whose 4 person family has owned probably 35 bikes in total, has 13 bikes currently, and only 2 of those bikes were purchased new.

If even I think you are being extreme, I cant imagine what those who only buy new think.
when buying a bike the companies will charge whatever they feel the market is willing to pay...the 1200 dollar wheel set probably cost 300 to make
Old 08-28-19, 10:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

when buying a bike the companies will charge whatever they feel the market is willing to pay...the 1200 dollar wheel set probably cost 300 to make
Yes I am aware of how consumerism and supply/demand work.

What's your point with this post?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-28-19, 10:19 PM
robnol
Banned

Yes I am aware of how consumerism and supply/demand work.

What's your point with this post?
you dont have to spend 5000 dollars to get a high quality bike...be a smart consumer
Old 08-28-19, 10:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Road bike? Sure. Classic steel MTB? Ok. Modern MTB? No way... unless it’s pretty recent. They are changing fast for the better
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-28-19, 10:56 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
you dont have to spend 5000 dollars to get a high quality bike...be a smart consumer
Being a smart consumer means getting your money's worth, which can be very subjective.
Many people (myself) do not buy certain things thinking of resale value. I expect to keep my bikes until they fall apart or I am cold.
I see resale prices in North America and Europe and the UK, IMHO has by far the highest prices for used bikes. When I see a used 30 yr old bike sell for marginally less than a new similar quality bike, I shake my head.
In the end you bought a 10 yr old bike for 20% of it's value new. Who can say if you got a great bargain? People can start to nitpick re; frame, components, wheels, tires.

You feel did did great, again that's subjective. I, personally would not buy a used carbon frame because of the risks involved.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-28-19, 10:56 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
i ask myself why people shell out mega bucks for new bikes
Because they can. And to those who can a bicycle doesn't seem like 'mega bucks'.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 08-28-19, 10:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

1- I was asking what was your point of telling me you think it costs $300 to make a wheelset that sells for $1200. lots of products in life are priced at 4x the cost. Heck, many products we use are priced more than 4x the cost.

2- a smart consumer to you is one who waits almost a decade to buy a used version of what they want. A smart consumer in another person's eyes is someone who weighs their options and decides that they would like to enjoy a product now instead of waiting the better part of a decade.

Neither approach is wrong. Neither approach is dumb. Again- it's simply priorities.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-28-19, 11:24 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
1- I was asking what was your point of telling me you think it costs $300 to make a wheelset that sells for $1200. lots of products in life are priced at 4x the cost. Heck, many products we use are priced more than 4x the cost.

2- a smart consumer to you is one who waits almost a decade to buy a used version of what they want. A smart consumer in another person's eyes is someone who weighs their options and decides that they would like to enjoy a product now instead of waiting the better part of a decade.

Neither approach is wrong. Neither approach is dumb. Again- it's simply priorities.
You’re attempting to use logic with someone who is being irrationally defensive due to his inferiority complex. He can’t afford a $5000 bike like all his buddies in the group ride, so he calls them “dumb” or gullible or whatever.

I ride a $1300 (new) bike in a group where the average bike price is close to $10,000. I have never, ever felt the need to belittle others for the choices they have made. Instead, I understand that different people have different economic situations, and nobody has to denigrate each other for it when we can just get along and have fun riding our various bikes.
Old 08-28-19, 11:49 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I don't understand the purpose of an unsolicited rant shaming total strangers for making it possible to get cool stuff at fire sale prices. Is 'ingrate' a fitting word for such a cad? I think so.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-29-19, 01:56 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Poor, cheap people with bad typing skills need bicycles as well
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-29-19, 03:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Because they can. And to those who can a bicycle doesn't seem like 'mega bucks'.
Yep.

As with anything ... because we can.

And really, when you've got a bicycle you love and you've logged 50,000+ km on it over the past decade ... who cares if it has "lost value" according to someone else.
Likes For Machka:
Old 08-29-19, 05:01 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Poor, cheap people with bad typing skills need bicycles as well
im not poor.just not a fan of paying more than i have to...
Old 08-29-19, 05:06 AM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by smashndash
You’re attempting to use logic with someone who is being irrationally defensive due to his inferiority complex. He can’t afford a $5000 bike like all his buddies in the group ride, so he calls them “dumb” or gullible or whatever.

I ride a $1300 (new) bike in a group where the average bike price is close to $10,000. I have never, ever felt the need to belittle others for the choices they have made. Instead, I understand that different people have different economic situations, and nobody has to denigrate each other for it when we can just get along and have fun riding our various bikes.
for that same 1300 dollars you could have bought a bike that sold for 5000 new with high end components....new is a placebo...a nice one but a placebo none the less
Old 08-29-19, 05:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Sometimes you have to pay what you have to to get what you want.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-29-19, 05:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't understand the purpose of an unsolicited rant shaming total strangers for making it possible to get cool stuff at fire sale prices. Is 'ingrate' a fitting word for such a cad? I think so.
This isn't the OP's first foray into "You don't have to spend a lot to get quality" territory. I'm just playing along.
Old 08-29-19, 06:11 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
My bad. You just have bad typing skills and are cheap.
I was two for three though
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-29-19, 06:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

you do that .bf or as i like to call it....like minded.com where honest opinion and discussion is limiterd to the collective ,mindset
This might be the first time I have seen bikeforums be called like minded. Threads devolve into a puddle of cess multiple times a day due to arguing over what is actually totally unimportant stuff in life. But apparently this place is likeminded?
All I have seen is that so far everyone has disagreed with you. If this continues, it would probably be the first thread where there collective agreement forms.

Why post here if you dont enjoy it?

Last edited by mstateglfr; 08-29-19 at 06:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.