Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the All-New Cannondale SuperSix EVO Disc Ultegra groupset

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-16-19, 09:35 PM
DonRafa
Love 2 Ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everybody,

Today I saw the All-New Cannondale SuperSix EVO Disc with Ultegra groupset and I must say that it blew my mind. The frame geometry, craftsmanship, carbon wheels, groupset and Golden color truly amazed me.

Any opinion on this bike from users or people acquainted with this model? Pros? Cons? Any other brand/model similar to the All-New SuperSix EVO that I should consider?

I think value for money it's a good deal, considering the groupset, wheelset, brand reputation and novelty.

Thanks,

Rafa
Old 11-16-19, 09:46 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Link and photo assist.

I dig the color, the pressfit BB and TA front with QR rear are a con (I like them both the same). Tire clearance up to 28mm.
Old 11-17-19, 12:23 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by DonRafa
Hi everybody,

Today I saw the All-New Cannondale SuperSix EVO Disc with Ultegra groupset and I must say that it blew my mind. The frame geometry, craftsmanship, carbon wheels, groupset and Golden color truly amazed me.

Any opinion on this bike from users or people acquainted with this model? Pros? Cons? Any other brand/model similar to the All-New SuperSix EVO that I should consider?

I think value for money it's a good deal, considering the groupset, wheelset, brand reputation and novelty.

Thanks,

Rafa
Golden color? The women's bike? Looks sharp!!!! I am confused though, I looked up the geo, and the website has the exact geo for men and women. ???? I'd rock that color though. It is awesome.

Anyways I am riding the 2017 himod di2. with the Hollowgrams. The only reason for Di2 is because it was less expensive to go that route than it was to buy the mech Ultegra and pick up a set of wheels. Well about same price, so I chose di2 over mech.

On 28c, It makes the chip seal roads smooth!
Old 11-17-19, 06:39 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Some other options in this general price range:

Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0, full Ultegra R8000-series gruppo, DT Swiss P1800 Spline db wheelset, 7.6 kg--$2799

Orbea Orca M30 Team D, full R105 7-series gruppo, DTSwiss E1850 Spline DB23 TLR CL wheelset--$2999

Orbea Orca M20 TeamD, full Ultegra R8-series gruppo, same wheelset as above--$3299

BMC SLR02 Disc Four, full 105 R7-series gruppo, Shimano RS170 wheelset--$3199

Bianchi Aria Disc 105, full 105 R-7 series gruppo, Fulcrum Racing 618 Disc wheelset--$2900

and if you don't have to have disc brakes, you can into a Cervelo R2 with 105 R7-series gruppo for a mere $2400.

And the list goes on... There are tons of good options at or around the $3000 mark right now. I would recommend that you do a little research at this price-point and see if there is something else you like more. That Cannondale is, I'm sure, a great bike. But it does have older groupset components on it and at that price, again, there are some just killer alternatives. Just my take and your mileage obviously could vary. Good luck, whatever you do.
Old 11-17-19, 02:07 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Some other options in this general price range:

Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0, full Ultegra R8000-series gruppo, DT Swiss P1800 Spline db wheelset, 7.6 kg--$2799

Orbea Orca M30 Team D, full R105 7-series gruppo, DTSwiss E1850 Spline DB23 TLR CL wheelset--$2999

Orbea Orca M20 TeamD, full Ultegra R8-series gruppo, same wheelset as above--$3299

BMC SLR02 Disc Four, full 105 R7-series gruppo, Shimano RS170 wheelset--$3199

Bianchi Aria Disc 105, full 105 R-7 series gruppo, Fulcrum Racing 618 Disc wheelset--$2900

and if you don't have to have disc brakes, you can into a Cervelo R2 with 105 R7-series gruppo for a mere $2400.

And the list goes on... There are tons of good options at or around the $3000 mark right now. I would recommend that you do a little research at this price-point and see if there is something else you like more. That Cannondale is, I'm sure, a great bike. But it does have older groupset components on it and at that price, again, there are some just killer alternatives. Just my take and your mileage obviously could vary. Good luck, whatever you do.

just a correction here, Katsup totally posted the wrong link and bike picture.

The wheels will be a $1,000-$1,600 carbon CL Disc wheelset at 1446 gram stans tubeless compatible. DT swiss internals DT aerolite bladed spokes

So not the same wheels as the Orca M20 ($3,299 + wheelset put him back into the "all-new" supersix ballpark)

good list though.

Try this link https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined

and this Picture of the "ALL-NEW" supersix.

Likes For Metieval:
Old 11-17-19, 03:18 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The confusion is the “all-new” Supersix Evo doesn’t come in “gold.”

Maybe, because Cannondale and all their color-ways, and who knows what color-ways they sell in different geographies.

Anyhow, the thing about the “Ultegra” drivetrain is it has an SI crank, FSA chainrings, and 105 cassette. If this bothers you, why?

(Full disclosure, my brand new frankendale “all-old” Supersix Evo has a Shimano Ultegra drivetrain, sort of, because Shimano can’t decide if the HG-800 cassette is Ultegra or not. If this bothers you, why?)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-18-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-19-19, 05:22 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
All major brand bikes are really good these days, you can't really go wrong. Also, the pricing is generally the same between brands when you compare like for like. The only concern I have the Cannondales is the PF30a BB. It may be just anecdotal, but Cannondales are a bit infamous for the dreaded BB creak. IMO, PF30 is down there among the worst BB "standards".

Last edited by Hiro11; 11-19-19 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-19-19, 07:52 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Hiro11
All major brand bikes are really good these days, you can't really go wrong. Also, the pricing is generally the same between brands when you compare like for like. The only concern I have the Cannondales is the PF30a BB. It may be just anecdotal, but Cannondales are a bit infamous for the dreaded BB creak. IMO, PF30 is down there among the worst BB "standards".
Just to be accurate, it's a PF30A, which is neither PF30 nor BBright.

-mr. bill
Old 11-19-19, 09:06 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Lack of rear TA is pretty lame in this day and age. Pressfit BB really is bad. And both are features you will never be able to change.
Old 11-20-19, 07:51 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I prefer my "groupset" to be complete. Nothing worse that seeing a Ultegra level bike being advertised at a certain price and then when you look closely there is an alternate crankset.
Old 11-20-19, 01:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
FWIW, it appears the bike actually has thru axles of a sort, front and rear. Something Cannondale calls Speed Release.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 11-20-19 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 01:37 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
FWIW, it appears the bike actual has thru axles of a sort, front and rear. Something Cannondale calls Speed Release.
Mavic calls it Speed Release thru-axle.

And to continue with the confusion the "All-Old" SuperSix EVO DISC had a quick release rear skewer and thru-axle front. The "All-New" SuperSix EVO DISC has the Speed Release thru-axle.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-20-19 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 02:28 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I found this video VERY educational. Yes it is about Cervelo, however follow the dots!
The Person Responsible for the Cervelo BB is none other than Damon Rinard. That is now the Technical Director at Cannondale. Watch the video.... nitty gritty starts at 18:00 ish and the Real dirt is at 24:00 ish

Is there a connection to the BB issues of Cannondale?

Enough Lube will fix any BB creak, the question comes down to wattage loss. I have just always assumed stuff was dry. Now I wonder if their tolerances are to large.

FWIW, the video is educational. I have no idea what a technical directors job is. However If Cannondale hires that kind of an engineer, and Keeps him. Then it makes me question everything Cannondale.

Old 11-20-19, 02:51 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
So though axle is a way to handle disc brakes because they put different stresses on the frame. I get that. And they are not as convenient for wheel changes than the traditional quick release with rim brakes. I don't get that. It seems to me that since cars and motorcycles all got disc brakes then the bicycle builders have convinced people that we all need discs. Yes, I've heard all the arguments about wet weather etc etc. I would never spend that kind of money to get brakes that I don't need with through axles I don't want. Thanks.
Old 11-20-19, 04:18 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
So though axle is a way to handle disc brakes because they put different stresses on the frame. I get that. And they are not as convenient for wheel changes than the traditional quick release with rim brakes. I don't get that. It seems to me that since cars and motorcycles all got disc brakes then the bicycle builders have convinced people that we all need discs. Yes, I've heard all the arguments about wet weather etc etc. I would never spend that kind of money to get brakes that I don't need with through axles I don't want. Thanks.
I don’t think there’s any need to discuss the merits of thru axles or disc brakes on this thread. It’s not just a dead horse. It’s been buried and decomposed. The thread is about a very specific bike.

@OP, I personally think that PF30A isn’t the worst BB spec out there because you can use a Shimano, DUB or BB386EVO crank on it, in addition to Cannondale cranks, of course. The only issue is the availability of BBs, and I believe there’s a great selection of sleeved pressfit bearings, thread-together BBs and even one-piece BBs. You can get into the discussion of poor manufacturing tolerances that Cannondale has a reputation for but that has nothing to do with the design itself.

Some people recently were talking about how the non-hi mod old gen SuperSix felt “dead” compared to other carbon frames in its price range or top end carbon frames. I personally cannot claim to know the difference, but it’s worth test riding an EVO vs Hi-Mod to see if you notice a difference in responsiveness. Make sure to use the same wheels/tires across both.
Old 11-20-19, 04:34 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Mavic calls it Speed Release thru-axle.

And to continue with the confusion the "All-Old" SuperSix EVO DISC had a quick release rear skewer and thru-axle front. The "All-New" SuperSix Evo DISC has the Speed Release thru-axle.

Missing Video

-mr. bill
bleh..... I am changing a tube, or plugging a hole, or refilling with air. So I don't really think 6 seconds difference will be a hill of beans to me.

Actually I have the rear wheel off my Supersix once in 2 years. that was to swap the schwalbe one to a Continental gp5000

6 seconds in 2 years?
Old 11-20-19, 04:40 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
bleh..... I am changing a tube, or plugging a hole, or refilling with air. So I don't really think 6 seconds difference will be a hill of beans to me.

Actually I have the rear wheel off my Supersix once in 2 years. that was to swap the schwalbe one to a Continental gp5000

6 seconds in 2 years?
This speed thru axle is one, amongst many, “innovations” that is of great use to WT pros and nearly worthless to amateurs. Pro racing needs to stop dictating what amateurs use. The only amateurs I could see using this are racers who have neutral support or wheel pits/free laps and value those few seconds. A small segment of the population.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-20-19, 06:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I would never spend that kind of money to get brakes that I don't need with through axles I don't want.
What is the additional cost?
Old 11-23-19, 05:22 PM
mr_bill

6 seconds in 2 years?
You’ve obviously never had to help someone find their thru axle?

I would never spend that kind of money to get brakes that I don't need with through axles I don't want. Thanks.
What is the additional cost?
It’s not a huge delta, but they make rim brake frames too. So if you don’t want discs, you don’t have to pay for them.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-24-19 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 06:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

What's a delta?
Old 11-23-19, 06:52 PM
Metieval

You’ve obviously never had to help someone find their thru axle?
How is that the fault of the thru axle?
Old 11-23-19, 09:29 PM
mr_bill

What's a delta?
Sigh, on the All-old Supersix Evo, if you compare the Ultegra versus Ultegra Disc, the delta is $400.00. That gets you hydraulic discs and upgraded “race” wheels. All I’m saying is if you don’t like discs, don’t buy them. If you can’t get the combination of components from a manufacturer, look for another or buy a frameset and build what you want.

How is that the fault of the thru axle?
Quick release axles and “Speed release thru-axles” stay with the wheel when you repair a flat. Thru-axles don’t.

No amount insisting that I put the thru-axle right here will make the thru-axle be right there.

Wheel big, easy to find, Thru-axle small, easy to lose.

It’s Murphy’s fault.

-mr. bill
Old 11-24-19, 01:58 AM
Metieval

Quick release axles and “Speed release thru-axles” stay with the wheel when you repair a flat. Thru-axles don’t.

No amount insisting that I put the thru-axle right here will make the thru-axle be right there.

Wheel big, easy to find, Thru-axle small, easy to lose.

It’s Murphy’s fault.

-mr. bill
So you can't pull the wheel then just slide the Thru axle back in with no wheel?
Again you are blaming the inanimate object for your personal actions, or your lack of actions.

Are cars also bad ideas? I mean car huge, car key small, how do you survive?
Old 11-24-19, 05:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

OK, so delta=price difference, got it! Learn something here everyday!