Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are disc brakes the new clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 10:07 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
You maybe be right --> Which discs are YOU talking about?

My assumption was that we were talking about equivalent levels of quality in each category. You can apply my list to Walmart's bikes, Bianchi's bikes, or whom-evers and I'll stand by my statement, unless YOU can explain why I'm wrong.
1. discs are usually twice as much within the same component group as v brakes: ie deore xt vs deore v brakes.

2. what's the point of the "comparison?" No one has any data to work with. It's all subjective stuff like: "discs work like buttah." No stopping distances, no way to quantify "modulation."

Every other post I "request" data and objective evidence, and it leads to tantrums, swear words, whining, etc. on the part of disc defenders. They have no other means of defending their claims.
Old 04-03-15, 10:18 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Wife: So what's new?
Me: Interesting spirited debate on BikeForums.
Wife: What about?
Me: Disc versus rim brakes ... 72 posts and counting in the thread.
Wife: <rolls eyes>
Me: Sorry you asked?

Old 04-03-15, 10:21 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
1. discs are usually twice as much within the same component group as v brakes: ie deore xt vs deore v brakes.

2. what's the point of the "comparison?" No one has any data to work with. It's all subjective stuff like: "discs work like buttah." No stopping distances, no way to quantify "modulation."

Every other post I "request" data and objective evidence, and it leads to tantrums, swear words, whining, etc. on the part of disc defenders. They have no other means of defending their claims.
No data for you!
Old 04-03-15, 11:35 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My mountain bike (BSA) has discs brakes but I am not crazy about them, first they rub, second they are noisy and third melted the rear one so bad that I had to buy a new set! Yes a lot of steep trails but still I would have expected some real benefits to switch over! They do brake better in the rain and not bothered by the mud but. . .
Old 04-04-15, 04:37 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My road bike has carbon wheels. I have many, many times been caught out in the rain on this bike. Basically if it's wet out, I have no brakes for at least 4 or 5 seconds after I first apply pressure. It takes that long to even begin to slow the bike down. Not that big a deal on the flats except that I have to remember to plan ahead for stop signs etc. or else I'll roll right through them. I have no recourse basically if it's an emergency situation. On hills it's really bad. I can end up going 30 or 40 yards down the hill before I get any braking at all. Wet conditions are really the only case where I think I would prefer discs, but that's a pretty big "only" if you ride in the rain at all.

I have a new gravel bike that has disc brakes. I haven't yet had the pleasure of riding it in the rain. I'm not looking forward to it, but I sort of am.
Old 04-04-15, 07:50 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Wife: So what's new?
Me: Interesting spirited debate on BikeForums.
Wife: What about?
Me: Disc versus rim brakes ... 72 posts and counting in the thread.
Wife: <rolls eyes>
Me: Sorry you asked?
Old 04-04-15, 08:15 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You likely are not Adequate on the brake set up Mechanics . so be it ..

I've been setting up my cantilever brakes on various bikes since the 70's and they have worked reliably.

but if disc brakes get you to ride more , complain less, they must be worth It ..

I Have a disc Brake Bike Friday, It works too.

my best cycling was touring in Europe , you like mountain biking , to each their own, thats why no 1 bike (or even parts pick) is right for everyone.
Yeah, I probably don't know how to set up canti brakes. Yes, I do like mountain biking but do most of my riding (over 180,000 miles) on the road.
Yes, I have toured for 3000 miles and 900 miles and many shorter trips. I don't think the brakes are as critical on a tour as they are on a performance type ride on a twisty descent.
Yes, I descend over 50 mph weekly on my road bike with Mavic caliper brakes, and they are pretty good.
Like I said, the last time I got caught in the mountains in a rainstorm my caliper brakes were ground down and that thick, black slurry got all over everything. Discs would have been better.
Old 04-04-15, 08:23 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Blue

Not enough information. What color is the bike?
Old 04-04-15, 08:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Another thing to consider with discs on extreme down hills discs wont heat up the rims so much that it may cause a tire failure.
Old 04-04-15, 08:26 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
disc defenders? Why does every discussion of disc brakes devolve into this sort of thing? How about clipless? Do we have clipless defenders, too?
It's technology. Parts. It's not being forced on you. Keep an open mind.
Old 04-04-15, 08:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Some Interesting things Seen In Europe , remained overseas ,
like a hydraulically operated Cantilever .. bolted to fork crown the slave cylinder functioned as center yoke & pushed cross over cable Up .

Sachs had a Hydraulic 'cable' in the Mfg catalog but I'd not seen any in the field ..
Old 04-04-15, 09:02 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Another thing to consider with discs on extreme down hills discs wont heat up the rims so much that it may cause a tire failure.
disc brakes are not immune to heat related issues with extreme downhills... you do know that right.
Old 04-04-15, 09:07 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Mandatory for carbon rims, I should think. But for me, I'd be thinking, do they add another layer of complexity and extra maintenance? (Visions of having to bleed my hydraulics periodically like I did on my motorcycle).
Old 04-04-15, 09:10 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
...Then again, I'm a retro grouch and a non-repentant one at that.
Ditto. Here in the northeast, I am just not seeing that many bikes with Disc brakes, if this means anything.
For me, it's steel frames, and ONLY steel frames, toe clips, no cycling computer, and no apologies.
Old 04-04-15, 09:18 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
My mountain bike (BSA) has discs brakes but I am not crazy about them, first they rub, second they are noisy and third melted the rear one so bad that I had to buy a new set! Yes a lot of steep trails but still I would have expected some real benefits to switch over! They do brake better in the rain and not bothered by the mud but. . .
No luck huh? Well that's too bad. Of course if everyone had your experience, disc brakes would be showing up on CL and the bay regularly from the people that swapped them out for "non-melting" brakes. So your experience, notwithstanding, I think you missed most of the benefits of disc brakes because of .... I'm not sure why your bike was so badly in need of adjustment.
Old 04-04-15, 09:24 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
Ditto. Here in the northeast, I am just not seeing that many bikes with Disc brakes, if this means anything.
For me, it's steel frames, and ONLY steel frames, toe clips, no cycling computer, and no apologies.
Yeah, steel frame, toe clips, ... that's lifestyle biking. We're talking about performance, not attitude.
Old 04-04-15, 09:48 AM
pursuance

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Think the market.
Are a bunch of grumpy old farts looking to buy new road bikes? I think not.
The teenagers that grew up riding inexpensive MTBs with BB5 brakes are the main market, I would think.
They would see through axles and disc brakes and say, "come to papa."
Old 04-04-15, 10:20 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pursuance
Think the market.
Are a bunch of grumpy old farts looking to buy new road bikes? I think not.
The teenagers that grew up riding inexpensive MTBs with BB5 brakes are the main market, I would think.
They would see through axles and disc brakes and say, "come to papa."
Agreed. Except that the GOF's that you reference are different this generation. We're bigger consumers of recreational products than those before us. Just saying, you might not be right about the GOF generalization.
Old 04-04-15, 10:28 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Does this thread REALLY need to descend to personal attacks?
Hey Deege. It's your fault. You're the one who asked the original question.
Old 04-04-15, 10:31 AM
DanWho

Bikes: Actionbent Roadrunner high racer, Redline d660 29er and a Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, I am a clyde, I have been since I was 13 and stood 6'2". When I got back into biking a couple years ago I went to the lbs and the salesman gave me a very convincing test to try. He had two of the same model bike one with V brakes and one with disk brakes. He put them on a trainer stand and had both bikes in its lowest gear. He had me stand on the peddle with brakes applied. The V braked wheel moved and the disk didn't. Granted back then I was 70# more than I am now, but that convinced me. I'm sure the stock pads probably weren't the best and with better pads I wouldn't have moved that wheel either.

This test was just a side note for the real test, he was showing me that bottom brackets had improved tremendously since the early 70's and my Ihot racer. I went threw bottom brackets left and right, I got good at changing them out in short order. I had a paper route and was a beast to that poor bike. I still don't know how the rims and spokes took all the abuse I gave it going over curbs and such.
Old 04-04-15, 10:42 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Plus, the GOFs are of the few who can afford these higher end bikes................. so they better be marketing to me!
Old 04-04-15, 10:43 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DanWho
First off, I am a clyde, I have been since I was 13 and stood 6'2". When I got back into biking a couple years ago I went to the lbs and the salesman gave me a very convincing test to try. He had two of the same model bike one with V brakes and one with disk brakes. He put them on a trainer stand and had both bikes in its lowest gear. He had me stand on the peddle with brakes applied. The V braked wheel moved and the disk didn't. Granted back then I was 70# more than I am now, but that convinced me. I'm sure the stock pads probably weren't the best and with better pads I wouldn't have moved that wheel either.

This test was just a side note for the real test, he was showing me that bottom brackets had improved tremendously since the early 70's and my Ihot racer. I went threw bottom brackets left and right, I got good at changing them out in short order. I had a paper route and was a beast to that poor bike. I still don't know how the rims and spokes took all the abuse I gave it going over curbs and such.
They were built like tanks... and weighed as much as one too. Haha
Old 04-04-15, 11:03 AM
DanWho

Bikes: Actionbent Roadrunner high racer, Redline d660 29er and a Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know I still wish I had that bike back or at least the wheels. I never used a drive way to get to the sidewalk, just hop the curb, then back down again. OOOPS there went the bottom bracket again, oh well I needed to wash my hands before supper anyway, now they will get a good scrubbing.
Old 04-04-15, 11:51 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and I rue the day.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Hey Deege. It's your fault. You're the one who asked the original question.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-04-15, 12:44 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Yes, and I rue the day.
You rue, man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.