Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front wheel rubbing on tips of shoes when turning.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Front wheel rubbing on tips of shoes when turning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 04:36 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
It's called "toe overlap". And yes, it's only a problem at very slow speeds.

I'm not sure there's much you can do about it.
Toe-overlap is exacerbated by small frame size (shorter top tube brings the crank closer to the front wheel), big feet, and long crank arms (brings the pedal closer to the front wheel).

Most people learn to keep their crank arms vertical during low-speed turns, but if that proves difficult you may have to look at other measures. Some frame manufacturers, e.g. LeMond, have a reputation for using a longer top tube than is typical, which would reduce the problem. But a new frame isn't cheap. Not much you can do about your foot size, either. Shorter crank arms are probably the most cost-effective method (other than just living with the issue, anyway).
Old 06-30-17, 07:01 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Worse if cleats are set back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2014.jpg (96.5 KB, 331 views)
Old 06-30-17, 07:40 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I clicked a shoe into the pedal to check for toe overlap on my short wheelbase 1981 Trek 750 fixed gear. The interference made me wonder why I hadn't had any tire/shoe contact during U turns. I watched the clearance during U turns and notice I instinctively turned sharper to create clearance at the moment the shoe needed it.

I also looked to if there was any clearance concerns while riding at speed. The tire doesn't even come close.
Old 07-01-17, 02:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have had toe overlap on nearly every bike I've owned, but the only time it has ever been an issue is on an out and back time trial in which I rode my fixed gear. Tight 180 degree turn and no ability to coast through the turn.

If you have a freewheel, it should not be an issue.
Old 07-01-17, 05:36 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
This suggestion is appropriate for the dandy-horse sub forum, but not for road cycling...
Ah! The power of appearances.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-18-20, 03:34 AM
darren murray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin G
Maybe I have just never had this happen on any of my old road bikes, but does anyone have the problem of regularly rubbing the tips of their road shoes on the front tire?

I don't recall this happening on my Colnago. I bought a LeMond Washoe and now I rub my right foot constantly when pedaling while turning. Almost made me crash hard yesterday.

I am a small guy at 5' 8" with a size 9 shoe so I'm not a monster or anything. Cranks are 172.5mm Campy Super Record and I am using Specialized shoes with Look Keo cleats.

If on the bike and having my crank arms parallel to the ground, the tip of my shoe is past the tire.
Hi, I have never had this problem until now when I purchased a pair of suplest cycling shoe a week ago. First ride out and my toe caps on the shoes hit the tyre on the front wheel whilst turning. I have noticed the Suplest shoes have a box type toe at the front of the shoe where as all other shoes I have previously worn have soft toes at the front. I have previously worn Fizik, Sidi and Shimano shoes and never had this issue over 25+ years of cycling. I have adjusted the Suplest shoes to the maximum and the toes still rub. I basically have just re sold the shoes on as in my opinion they could become very dangerous if it was to happen at high speed down hill when cornering sharply.
Old 02-18-20, 05:22 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by darren murray
I basically have just re sold the shoes on as in my opinion they could become very dangerous if it was to happen at high speed down hill when cornering sharply.
It would never happen at high speed; in fact, it would never happen at any speed above walking pace. Faster than that, and you're steering by leaning, not by turning the bars.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-18-20, 05:37 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
This issue should be brought up with bike manufacturers. While most of the time it is just annoying, somewhere sometime someone may have a serious accident as a result of their shoe interfering with their ability to turn.

Manufacturers try to make bikes as cheap as possible. Adding a couple of inches to a bike length would not make it much more expensive, and should be done.

I will be surprised if anyone has raised this issue with a bike manufacturer, and as a result, it is something they are not even aware of.
Old 02-18-20, 05:55 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
It's called "toe overlap". And yes, it's only a problem at very slow speeds.

I'm not sure there's much you can do about it.
Shorter cranks.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-18-20, 06:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
This issue should be brought up with bike manufacturers. While most of the time it is just annoying, somewhere sometime someone may have a serious accident as a result of their shoe interfering with their ability to turn.

Manufacturers try to make bikes as cheap as possible. Adding a couple of inches to a bike length would not make it much more expensive, and should be done.

I will be surprised if anyone has raised this issue with a bike manufacturer, and as a result, it is something they are not even aware of.
The presence of toe overlap does not represent cost cutting. Bikes represent many decades of design refinement. That includes bikes both with and without toe overlap. Kid-proofing bikes with respect to toe overlap at the expense of a reduction in the quality of the ride of the bike is a bad idea.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-18-20, 08:15 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
It's the geometry, I got tired of it, and enjoyed not having it on my gravel bike, as well as the increased stability from a longer wheelbase and longer front center. So I sold my Tarmac, which like most bikes with "race" geometry and had toe overlap, and bought a Giant Defy. Longer wheelbase, longer front center, no toe overlap (size M/L with 172.5mm cranks and size 45 Fizik shoes) and still just as fast and stiff as the Tarmac, imo.

For some it's not a big deal, but if it's a big deal for you, then you just need to find geometry that works for you.
Old 02-18-20, 02:56 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
It's the geometry, I got tired of it, and enjoyed not having it on my gravel bike, as well as the increased stability from a longer wheelbase and longer front center. So I sold my Tarmac, which like most bikes with "race" geometry and had toe overlap, and bought a Giant Defy. Longer wheelbase, longer front center, no toe overlap (size M/L with 172.5mm cranks and size 45 Fizik shoes) and still just as fast and stiff as the Tarmac, imo.

For some it's not a big deal, but if it's a big deal for you, then you just need to find geometry that works for you.
do you race your defy?
Old 02-18-20, 03:02 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by redlude97
do you race your defy?
I haven't yet, just got it, first race is this weekend, 35 mile road race (5x 7 mile loop). I don't do crits tho, fast group rides/road racing and TTs/Duathlons.
Old 02-18-20, 03:05 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I haven't yet, just got it, first race is this weekend, 35 mile road race (5x 7 mile loop). I don't do crits tho, fast group rides/road racing and TTs/Duathlons.
ah got it, it looked set up pretty aggressively in the other thread. I hated the way my endurance bike handled in even fast group rides, and my significant toe overlap has never been an issue
Old 02-18-20, 03:17 PM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by redlude97
ah got it, it looked set up pretty aggressively in the other thread. I hated the way my endurance bike handled in even fast group rides, and my significant toe overlap has never been an issue
Even with the taller head tube, the total stack with the way it's setup is only barely taller than my Tarmac was, so it's very comfortable for me.
Old 02-18-20, 06:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

Thank goodness they're not doing that. Simply making top tubes "inches" longer would introduce other issues in fit and handling.

There are reasonable solutions to toe overlap, when bike makers have the will to do it. One is to simply stop insisting on 700C wheels all the way down to the smallest frames. Smaller wheels roll perfectly well on paved roads, and don't require changes to wheelbase or geometry. I'd rock the hell out of an old Terry if I were in that boat.

Another solution is to slacken the head tube angle slightly and add a bit of fork offset to restore trail to the desired amount. While this does increase the wheelbase, it gets the front wheel out of the way without requiring a short stem or other compromises.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 02-18-20 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 07:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
another way to avoid.. is elective toe amputation and custom shoes. With the stiff cf soles of modern shoes, there's really no reason to carry the extra weight and you avoid the overlap at the same time.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-18-20, 08:48 PM
darren murray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
It would never happen at high speed; in fact, it would never happen at any speed above walking pace. Faster than that, and you're steering by leaning, not by turning the bars.
That is good to know at high speed then and it does make sense re: leaning more then turning the wheels.
Old 02-18-20, 10:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

​​​​​​Oh man. Ten thousand dollars doesn't even buy a top of the line bike anymore.
Old 02-18-20, 10:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
another way to avoid.. is elective toe amputation and custom shoes. With the stiff cf soles of modern shoes, there's really no reason to carry the extra weight and you avoid the overlap at the same time.
This is a very good idea because toes are rotating weight.
Old 02-19-20, 01:01 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
... The only time contact is ever made is when I'm stopped and seated on the top tube, with my cranks horizontally oriented and one foot clipped in, and I do the dumb thing and mindlessly turn the bars.

This is tremendously annoying, because it puts a nice black scuff on my perfect white shoes, which I then have to endure for the rest of my ride until I can get home to clean with solvent.

Ride ruined.
It's absolutely criminal that 3 years after the start of this thread, bikes are still allowed to have geometry that facilitates the scuffing of pristine white shoes from overlapping the wheel.

When will this insanity stop?
Old 02-19-20, 01:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
It's absolutely criminal that 3 years after the start of this thread, bikes are still allowed to have geometry that facilitates the scuffing of pristine white shoes from overlapping the wheel.

When will this insanity stop?

When consumers spend a little more time, perhaps a little more money, to make better choices, of course.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-19-20, 01:48 PM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Get over overlap

Yeah. Toe overlap is a bummer. But please don’t let it ruin your ride! It’s just a scuff on the shoes! Better yet, ride a vintage bike!

Last edited by Goosecheck; 02-19-20 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-19-20, 02:42 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Slight toe overlap is never a problem. Just cut off the "toe box" of your shoes, leaving your stocking toes exposed. It doesn't look great but it sure is a conversation starter on group rides, i can tell you.
Or better yet, leave the socks off: Free pedicure on every turn!
Old 02-19-20, 02:46 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I often pick up used bikes when other people trash them. Beggars can't be choosers. However, occasionally I have bought bikes. In future I will be conscious of the space between the pedal and front wheel, and buy appropriate bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.