Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Light interfering with computer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 04:56 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts

Hi All

I recently bought a Niterider Lumina 750 which, on the whole, I'm quite pleased with. However, I've had to move my CatEye cordless computer as the Lumina is obviously outputting some RF interference which stops the computer working if it's too close. I can now use the Lumina on low, medium or high but not flashing. I have other lights, including a dirt cheap Nestling light bought from Amazon, which don't exhibit this behaviour so I was a little disappointed.

I emailed NiteRider about this and received the following response:

'That behavior is to be expected. It all has to do with how hard the LED itself is being driven. Companies like Nestling don't drive their LEDs nearly as hard as we do which is why our lights produce their true advertised lumen ratings.'

I have a strong suspicion that this is tosh but since my background is with software rather than hardware can someone who is more knowledgeable on these things comment?

Thanks

John
Old 01-29-18, 05:50 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
What they say is correct. A corded computer may work. It works with my 2400 lumen light, on many different bikes, that have different kinds of computers on them.
Old 01-29-18, 07:31 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
What they say is correct. A corded computer may work. It works with my 2400 lumen light, on many different bikes, that have different kinds of computers on them.
Yes, I see the same behavior with several of my lights and wireless computers. It happens when they are flashing; evidently the flashing mechanism causes some sort of RF pulse that interferes with the computer’s ability to receive signals from the fork sensor.

I have found that my dynamo-powered lights do not cause problems with wireless computers, and Cateye Padrone computers seem to be immune to flashing lights.
Old 01-29-18, 09:17 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's possible the PWM brightness regulation is cause of the interferences.
A light without PWM, less electronics or a metal housing/case could reduce the interferences to you wireless computer.
Old 01-29-18, 09:56 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
It sounds like the company knows of the issues.

They likely need better shielding for their electronics, and eventually will be forced by complaints to update their hardware, but not necessarily recall old hardware.

I thought the FCC regulated radio interference of consumer electronics, but perhaps it is limited to licensed radio bands, and not unlicensed bands. Nonetheless, you could test to see if your device interferes with radio or TV.

Does the packaging include FCC certification... or is it a different certification?

Personally, I can't stand flashing headlights, and use them very infrequently.

Have you tried installing the light elsewhere? Moving it above or below the bars? Helmet?
Old 01-29-18, 10:03 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Personally, I can't stand flashing headlights, and use them very infrequently.
If your LED headlight has variable intensity settings, it is probably flashing even though you don't see it.
I did not know my Dinotte 600L was using pulse width modulation for the lower settings until the first time I rode at night in snow.
On the 25% and 50% settings it generates a really cool strobe effect with the trails of the snowflakes alternately appearing/disappearing.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 01-29-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 10:10 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I've read of some computers being affected by dynamo hubs too.
Old 01-29-18, 10:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Time for the tinfoil brigade to make an appearance...

Have you considered wrapping the light in aluminum foil? That might provide enough shielding to keep your computer working.
Old 01-29-18, 10:20 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Have you considered wrapping the light in aluminum foil?
Blocking the air flow from a high-power LED light is an invitation for failure due to overheating.
Old 01-29-18, 11:34 AM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Consumer expectation or design parameter fail?

My Planet Bike Blaze two watt LED headlamp & Bontrager Node 2.1 bike computer did not play well together. The computer froze every ride with the light on. Moving them farther apart did not solve anything, different lights did.

I moved on to a Bontrager ION 700 and later obtained a Cateye Volt 1200. Individually or in combination, these plus a Design Shine 500 lumen taillight caused no problems for the Node at all.

This month I added Stages power & replaced the Node with an Elemnt Bolt. So far I've rode 399 miles with these during daylight. All with the ION 700 on hi-intensity strobe & the DS500 on either EMS flash or at a lower intensity for overcast days. My expectations are met. It all works well.

Last edited by BarryVee; 01-29-18 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
winter sun coming in the window behind this one around noon, is a problem.
Old 01-29-18, 04:44 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams

I emailed NiteRider about this and received the following response:

'That behavior is to be expected. It all has to do with how hard the LED itself is being driven. Companies like Nestling don't drive their LEDs nearly as hard as we do which is why our lights produce their true advertised lumen ratings.'

I have a strong suspicion that this is tosh but since my background is with software rather than hardware can someone who is more knowledgeable on these things comment?

Thanks

John
well, the circuitry is obviously the problem, and it does vary with the amount of current flowing. However, it is very much possible to design the circuitry so that it doesn't emit as much RF noise. I've spent many years at work getting my own circuits to pass the relevant regulations and a few more years helping others fix their problems of this sort.

The regulations in the US are relatively loose for consumer products. The EU, though, tends to be a bit more strict.

Did you have any particular questions about the interference problem?

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-29-18, 05:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
You certainly wouldn't want to flash a white light in someone's eyes so they cannot see, that doesn't work well. Red lights are fine on the human eyes especially at night and don't ruin our night vision but white light isn't.

As long as the light is working as a solid light I wouldn't worry. Certainly if you are having issues you could get a wired computer which is going to generally be more reliable everywhere anyway. Wireless is great for looks but a wired computer is great for reliability as it is not effected by anything.
Old 01-30-18, 03:46 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

A lot of responses - thank you all for your thoughts.

I used to have a corded computer on this bike but it failed a little while back. It's actually getting quite hard to decent ones here and I didn't really want to get a cordless one as they are less reliable and more expensive. On the other hand I like CatEye computers, having used them for years and didn't really want to get a different make. I have a Sigma computer on my Brompton and it really annoys me. I might have a change around as I have a bike I want to sell that currently has a CatEye corded computer on it.

CliffordK: The light appears to made from metal so I was suprised that this didn't appear to offer enough shielding. I can't see any FCC certification on the packaging. Yes, I tried moving the light around. Currently the light and computer are about as far apart as I can make them without putting the light on my helmet - which I don't really want to do. I like to use a flashing light for daylight riding.

Steelbikeguy: I'm not sure that there's anything much I want to do. If I was a bit more knowledgeable I might ask how I could modify the circuit to reduce RF interference but I don't think I feel quite up to that. I'm just a bit frustrated. I have an old Lupine Tesla that exhibits the same issue. I replaced it because the battery is dying and things have moved on so far in the last few years that it's cheaper to get a new light of the same power than to replace the battery. I was rather hoping that a new light wouldn't interfere and I can't help feeling that if NiteRider designed the light better there wouldn't be a problem.

Incidentally, I have a Garmin Edge that doesn't seem to have any problem picking up the signal from the sender mounted much further away, which I find a bit odd.
Old 01-30-18, 07:36 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

I used to have a corded computer on this bike but it failed a little while back. It's actually getting quite hard to decent ones here and I didn't really want to get a cordless one as they are less reliable and more expensive. On the other hand I like CatEye computers, having used them for years and didn't really want to get a different make. I have a Sigma computer on my Brompton and it really annoys me. I might have a change around as I have a bike I want to sell that currently has a CatEye corded computer on it.

CliffordK: The light appears to made from metal so I was suprised that this didn't appear to offer enough shielding. I can't see any FCC certification on the packaging. Yes, I tried moving the light around. Currently the light and computer are about as far apart as I can make them without putting the light on my helmet - which I don't really want to do. I like to use a flashing light for daylight riding.

Steelbikeguy: I'm not sure that there's anything much I want to do. If I was a bit more knowledgeable I might ask how I could modify the circuit to reduce RF interference but I don't think I feel quite up to that. I'm just a bit frustrated. I have an old Lupine Tesla that exhibits the same issue. I replaced it because the battery is dying and things have moved on so far in the last few years that it's cheaper to get a new light of the same power than to replace the battery. I was rather hoping that a new light wouldn't interfere and I can't help feeling that if NiteRider designed the light better there wouldn't be a problem.

Incidentally, I have a Garmin Edge that doesn't seem to have any problem picking up the signal from the sender mounted much further away, which I find a bit odd.
It's a common problem most, if not all lights that are powerful will have this problem. It's nothing new.
Corded bike computers are much more reliable than wireless.
Ii think the aluminum foil goes on your head!
Old 01-30-18, 07:56 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts

It's not a simple matter to modify the circuit to reduce the noise emitted. It takes a fair amount of experience, some very good test equipment, and some time.

Adding a metallic shield or a common mode choke is fairly hit or miss, even when you know what you are doing, despite being much easier than circuit modification. The most reliable modification is usually to increase the distance between the light and its cable and the bike computer.

The best (and most obvious) solution is to replace the offending headlight with something else. It would be good to contact the manufacturer of any light under consideration, and ask them about what they do to prevent their lights from interfering with wireless computers. If they mention that they run EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) tests to measure radiated emissions, that is a good sign. If they simply run tests to see if their lights interfere with a variety of wireless computers, that would also be a good sign. If they give the same sort of nonsense answer that you got.. "all lights do this", then stay away!

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-30-18, 10:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts

It's still possible to find good wired computers. I think Cateye makes at least 2-3 models. You might have to order one if your LBS doesn't carry them.

I finally gave up on a 14-15 year old wired computer last fall. I wish I had known to use dielectric grease on the contacts back then, it might still be working. With the dielectric grease, my other bike's Cateye is still working after 11 years. That's pretty reliable, in my book.
Old 01-30-18, 11:27 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I finally gave up on a 14-15 year old wired computer last fall. I wish I had known to use dielectric grease on the contacts back then, it might still be working. With the dielectric grease, my other bike's Cateye is still working after 11 years. That's pretty reliable, in my book.
Yes, my Cateye computers have been pretty reliable. This one quite suddenly just failed - no display, nothing. I tried replacing the battery but something terminal had obviously happened inside. Never had anything like that before - in fact the only other failure I've had was when the nut holding my front brake in place fell off. The next time I wanted to stop the front brake shot off ripping the cable in half as it went!

I think the one that failed was an Enduro 8. Anyhow, got another of those on my recumbent which I'm planning to sell this year so I'll probably have a swap around and put the Sigma computer on the recumbent before it goes.