Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Sleeves for Tan Lines?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Long Sleeves for Tan Lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-20, 07:13 PM
yukiinu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Bicycle tan lines.

Back in the day when I swam laps for an hour every morning at the Beverly Hills YMCA I had tan lines so obvious that the lifeguard said "you have a bicyclist tan lines". He was right because I was a bicycle messenger in Beverly Hills, I didn't make much money but I could swim every morning, and bicycle all day. "Those were the days my friend, yes those were the days"
Likes For yukiinu:
Old 02-18-20, 07:19 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I feel you. Some things can't be prevented. Tan lines are part of them! As long as I don't have a farmer tan, I don't mind.

Lets hope these sleeve won't make you sweat like a pig. I hate wearing them when it's hot outside.
Not all sunsleeves are created equal - some are cooler than bare skin. Scroll up to post 20, I wore sleeve, legs, and buff for 19 hours on a day that got over 90F with sun and humidity. I happily wore the sunsleeves/legs/buff all day. The only time I pushed sleeve to my wrists was in the dark before sunrise and at dusk right before finishing.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-18-20, 07:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Not all sunsleeves are created equal - some are cooler than bare skin. Scroll up to post 20, I wore sleeve, legs, and buff for 19 hours on a day that got over 90F with sun and humidity. I happily wore the sunsleeves/legs/buff all day. The only time I pushed sleeve to my wrists was in the dark before sunrise and at dusk right before finishing.
I could learn from you. In Paris-Brest-Paris 2015, I erred on the other side, trying to ride the whole thing in bike shorts and short-sleeve jerseys. Way too cold at night, only my idiocy got me through it.

Since then, I've been pondering a minimal-but-sufficient approach to clothing if I were to do it again. Perhaps with the right long-sleeved jersey and knickers, I could wear the same stuff around the clock and not get too warm during the day, or too cold at night.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-19-20, 07:32 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I could learn from you. In Paris-Brest-Paris 2015, I erred on the other side, trying to ride the whole thing in bike shorts and short-sleeve jerseys. Way too cold at night, only my idiocy got me through it.

Since then, I've been pondering a minimal-but-sufficient approach to clothing if I were to do it again. Perhaps with the right long-sleeved jersey and knickers, I could wear the same stuff around the clock and not get too warm during the day, or too cold at night.
The 2019 DAMn was very warm and humid overnight, never got too cold with gear you see in my pic above (BTW - that was just after 8:00 am). In 2018, the night air was cold and I wore a light jacket until check point 2 (mile 120).

During P-B-P, can you dump or pick up gear at controls? I'm rondo-curious, but at this point, I've mostly riding gravel grinders.
Old 02-19-20, 01:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
The 2019 DAMn was very warm and humid overnight, never got too cold with gear you see in my pic above (BTW - that was just after 8:00 am). In 2018, the night air was cold and I wore a light jacket until check point 2 (mile 120).

During P-B-P, can you dump or pick up gear at controls? I'm rondo-curious, but at this point, I've mostly riding gravel grinders.
Yep, support is allowed at the controls (I did a wardrobe change and dump of some things I didn't need anymore at Fougeres on the way back, thanks to my wife meeting up with me.) You can also arrange for drop bags at controls. I didn't, but I'm strongly considering it for next time, so I can have fresh clothes closer to the halfway point.

Feel free to stop by the Long Distance forum if you're interested in riding some brevets!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott: