Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need help with a saddle that I can't find in person.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I need help with a saddle that I can't find in person.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 09:12 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
How long have you been riding? I thought the same thing when I started riding roads. I was strictly a mountain biker for years, so the saddle was never used to sit on, just more of a reference. I went through a few "soft" saddles and none were working. The first club ride I went on I met a guy who had just got back from a ride from Texas to Alaska. He rode a B-17, that was enough to get me to try it. I put them on every bike first thing now, it's been 18 years.
I had few years off then I was riding recumbent and my sit bones hurt on that seat too. Now I have been riding everyday since late October. 10 miles on my commute twice a day then I may ride 20 or more miles on Sunday. The saddle my bike with has been the best for me. my sit bones don't do too bad without shorts as long as I don't ride more then 20 miles at once. not great but not bad. all other seats that have been harder and even touring seats that are really padded have Made them worse. I know my sit bones cant handle firm surfaces and firm chairs hurt. any saddle even slighter firmer then what I have hurts. uf my seat had a cutout it would be as good as it gets for me I think. but the seat has to be flat end to end as it has to have some up tilt to keep me from sliding forward.
Old 02-20-20, 09:49 PM
fooferdoggie 

I had ordered this saddle a week ago I thought it was flatter end to end but it has some curve. I had to tilt it up this much to keep from feeling like I was riding on ball bearings. I am willing to see how my sit bones do after a few days as long as it does not hurt my crotch. I think my original saddle worked as well as it does because its flat end to end and side to side. it may be the softness too but since I have never found a saddle that flat its hard to tell. if this one does not work I thin k will just stick with what I have.

Old 02-23-20, 07:44 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Hoping your saddle works out for you. On my road bike, I'm using a Serfas Dorado--had it for years, and is flat. The Serfas site makes it look like it isn't as flat as mine, might just be the way it was photo'd. Nice and firm also, without being a brick. You mentioned you have a dlr. that handles Serfas--if your saddle doesn't work out, maybe your dealer could bring one in for a look?
Old 02-23-20, 10:04 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by freeranger
Hoping your saddle works out for you. On my road bike, I'm using a Serfas Dorado--had it for years, and is flat. The Serfas site makes it look like it isn't as flat as mine, might just be the way it was photo'd. Nice and firm also, without being a brick. You mentioned you have a dlr. that handles Serfas--if your saddle doesn't work out, maybe your dealer could bring one in for a look?
so far my crotch is ok. it huts my sit bones a bit but that may be just time to fix. I can handle sore sit bones for a bit. I wish I knew if it was flat or soft or both I need. but hopefully done with saddles way to much pain to try new ones.
Old 02-23-20, 12:40 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I'm going to chime in with Wilfred Laurier that it looks like you're running your saddle too low. That really aggressive nose-up tilt is the giveaway: "to keep from sliding off" is because your hips are too closed (can't extend your legs fully)
It also looks like you're running your stem all the way down (forward) and maybe have the bars rotated forward, too. Frankly, it looks like that bike is just a little too small, front-to-back, and you're trying to make it fit.

Raise the seat, raise the bars, and slide the seat back a little bit. Bike fit is a game of millimeters; an 1/8 inch is noticeable, and 1/2 can be night and day.
Old 02-24-20, 10:26 PM
fooferdoggie 

the saddle is about right about full leg extension. I did have the bars tilted up more a few weeks ago I was testing a little more forward position to get a little more weight on my hands. but I don't think it made much of a difference. I have played with the seat position forward and the tilt. the first pics show my original saddle I went back too. I just tried a tad less up tilt and nope it makes me feel like I am sliding or rolling forward. that was the same even with the bars up more. my first e bike was more of a comfort bike and the same with the seat level I slide forward or feel like I am. I have to have the up tilt to feel like I am sitting level plus have the seat all the way forward anything back and I am feeling like I am slipping forward or I actually do. the seat I just pictured if I did not have that much up tilt it felt like I was sitting on ball bearings. like I would slide any direction. the only thing that helped is having a little left skew on the saddle so it does not rub my right thigh so much. I might go back to the raised bars as it eases the pressure on my crotch a little bit.
I have played a lot with my first saddle and it seems to work the best. but I will raise the saddle a little more. I raised it a tiny bit today but I also lowered the nose one notch and that did not work at all. so I will put the saddle back up one notch then raise the saddle a little bit and see. But then eight of the saddle is not something I have played with so thats next. Put it back the way it worked best then play with height and see.
Old 02-25-20, 07:49 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
so far my crotch is ok. it huts my sit bones a bit but that may be just time to fix. I can handle sore sit bones for a bit. I wish I knew if it was flat or soft or both I need. but hopefully done with saddles way to much pain to try new ones.
If if your sit bones only feel bruised, the skin you are sitting on is going to toughen up. If that same skin is also feeling abrasion, your hips are rocking side to side, which would mean your saddle is a little bit too high, and your feet are trying to reach down to the bottom of the pedal stroke. When you raise the nose of the saddle to prevent sliding forward, you might also need to lower it slightly. For these two adjustments, a small change can make a difference - as small as 1/16 inch.

Another thing - if you've lowered the handlebars and feel some carpal pressure, that hand pressure can be releived by shifting more weight to the saddle by sliding it back, again a small amount at a time. When you lower the bars, you're approximating a "tuck" which competitive downhill skiers use. As they bend forward from their hips, the butt needs to move back to keep their weight centered over their feet when clamped in the skis. For a bike, that move backward puts more weight on the sitbones. A good saddle is made to provide you support in this mode.

Another complication you may have is inner thigh pain or abrasion (you mentioned a boil, I think) where your thigh meets your under carriage. This can be caused by hip rocking or a saddle that is too wide at the middle (halfway between the tip and the heel), regardlless of the width across the sitbones (widest point of the saddle). The width across your sit bones, contact point to contact point, is not the width of say, a B17 saddle. You really only need enough width to support the sit bones on a pair of little flat platforms, and not have the bones tend to fall off the side. With Specialized saddles, there is usually a rather narrow middle section between your legs and a distinct flat where your butt bones can rest.

Sorry this is so long, but saddles are complicated. It doesn't seem that way once you get one that suits you, however!
Old 02-25-20, 12:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

I think you have it with the height. I adjusted it before my ride and left the saddle with a little less tilt up and it felt good. I put the bars back to the original height my hands don't like much pressure on them and sometimes my hands would go a bit numb with the bars down. mainly the problem with the original saddle was digging into my crotch because of the tilt. I have lost a fair amount of fat in the last few months and I have a lot of saggy skin on my thighs and butt. but my thighs still have a fair amount of fat on them. though I lost it all in my face and arms. so I will ride a few days and maybe see if I can tilt the saddle level that should take care of it. my sit bones need to recover from that last saddle.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 02-25-20 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-26-20, 04:27 PM
fooferdoggie 

ok with a little more seat height I am able to get the saddle down to almost level. I don't seem to slide forward but it does not feel super stable. like I want to slide. but my sit bones are kinda trashed so I will give it a day or two and see what happens.
Old 03-01-20, 10:17 PM
fooferdoggie 

well OI got it as good as it is going to get I think. I accidentally did 25 miles today. was only planning around 10 s oI did not put shorts on and my crotch did well not perfect but it was much better and my sit bones not too bad. raising the seat was key then I could get rid of a little up tilt.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 03-08-20, 09:21 PM
fooferdoggie 

well I think I have the saddle as good as it gets. I did 25 miles without shorts and it was ok. I did 45 miles total today with shorts and it is not bad. I think my thighs rub a bit with shorts. I tired my saddle I tired awhile ago now that I know what position I need it it in. it is pretty flat with a cutout and it feels like I am oozing into the slot. so maybe my sit bones are narrow and the curve on the inside is too much? but I also felt like I sat lower on a saddle with curve side to side so who knows? this one works so I am sticking with it,
Old 03-22-20, 05:05 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I'm going to chime in with Wilfred Laurier that it looks like you're running your saddle too low. That really aggressive nose-up tilt is the giveaway: "to keep from sliding off" is because your hips are too closed (can't extend your legs fully)
It also looks like you're running your stem all the way down (forward) and maybe have the bars rotated forward, too. Frankly, it looks like that bike is just a little too small, front-to-back, and you're trying to make it fit.

Raise the seat, raise the bars, and slide the seat back a little bit. Bike fit is a game of millimeters; an 1/8 inch is noticeable, and 1/2 can be night and day.
tasing the seat up let me drop the tilt one notch. it seems pretty dialed in I have ridden 40 miles without shortest with only a small amount of discomfort. I got 200 miles in a week.I don't really notice the saddle much now unless I am feeling tired.