Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rotor upgrade

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rotor upgrade

Old 02-15-20, 07:10 AM
Cornhusker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rotor upgrade

Hey all newbie here. If I upgrade my rotors to Dura Ace do I have to upgrade my pads as well? Rolling a 2020 Domane with 105s. Thanks.
Old 02-15-20, 07:20 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornhusker
Hey all newbie here. If I upgrade my rotors to Dura Ace do I have to upgrade my pads as well? Rolling a 2020 Domane with 105s. Thanks.
No, but make sure the new rotors are rated for metal pads, if that’s what you’re using. Would assume DA rotors are. What’s wrong with your current rotors?
Old 02-15-20, 07:27 AM
Cornhusker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
No, but make sure the new rotors are rated for metal pads, if that’s what you’re using. Would assume DA rotors are. What’s wrong with your current rotors?
Nothing wrong with the current rotors. Got a spare set of wheels for gravel and since I have to buy another set of rotors might as well look into an upgrade. I would assume the DA are rated but I have no clue.
Old 02-15-20, 08:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
There's no DA, Ultegra or 105 level of pads - there's just the choice of metallic or resin, with or without cooling fins. The resin are reportedly softer, less noisy and provide better modulation and I would assume that they wear faster (I've only ever used the resin pads, but my new calipers came with metallic, so I guess I'll find out). As far as fins vs no fins - the fins supposedly aid in cooling, but more importantly, they look cool.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-15-20, 08:22 AM
Cornhusker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There's no DA, Ultegra or 105 level of pads - there's just the choice of metallic or resin, with or without cooling fins. The resin are reportedly softer, less noisy and provide better modulation and I would assume that they wear faster (I've only ever used the resin pads, but my new calipers came with metallic, so I guess I'll find out). As far as fins vs no fins - the fins supposedly aid in cooling, but more importantly, they look cool.
Good stuff thanks for the replies. So I would be ok swapping the rotors that came with the bike with the DA? Just making sure. The DAs will go on my Roval roadies and I will just throw the originals on my gravel wheels.
Old 02-15-20, 08:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornhusker
Good stuff thanks for the replies. So I would be ok swapping the rotors that came with the bike with the DA? Just making sure. The DAs will go on my Roval roadies and I will just throw the originals on my gravel wheels.
Yeah, no problems. The business end of the rotor is going to be the same steel and aluminum sandwich, but the upper level rotors are more bling with the fins and a few grams lighter.
Old 02-15-20, 08:49 AM
Cornhusker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
And yes. More importantly, they do look cool.
Old 02-19-20, 12:19 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
If only mines were black like the R9100s!

I could always paint them, but that would add a few grams to the bike