Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling training software

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 01:10 AM
maxlentz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey if you are a rider and mainly ride road please take the time to talk about some of the questions below. I am a college student in Colorado who loves riding and I'm trying to figure out what types of training programs work and don't work for people. Any information on what you use is super helpful. thanks!

How would you describe the kind of cycling you participate in?Have you used a cycling device or app?

Which ones?

What do you like about this device/app?

What do you not like about it?

How much does this device or app cost?

What types of data do you currently use to evaluate your riding? (Example: Power, cadence, heart rate, etc.)

Do you pre-plan training elements to your ride? (Example: Recovery ride, hard on climbs, hard on flats, medium level/elevated heart rate etc.)

Where do you get information about cycling training or products? (Example: a specific magazine, a website, etc.)
Old 02-20-20, 11:54 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm a road cyclist. I enjoy both solo and group rides. The reason I do group rides is that they force me to train consistently so that I can ride with the many friends I have made, most of whom are faster than I, or would be if I laid off for a week. So I'm focused on the training aspects of my rides. I mostly ride in rural areas and often far from home.

I use a Garmin Edge 800 which I bought maybe 12 years ago. It has always worked perfectly. I load routes to follow onto it, and upload data from it to my desktop and to the web. I wish it's screen were larger. Today's models have larger screens.

For applications:
I use RidewithGPS Premium for planning routes and to record rides.
I use TrainingPeaks Premium for planning and recording all training of any sort.
I use Strava Summit to keep track of relative efforts and progress or the lack thereof.
I use only the desktop versions of these apps. I carry a phone for communication, but not for cycling-specific purposes.

I look at power, HR, cadence, elevation gain mostly.

I preplan everything on TrainingPeaks with a particular goal for each workout, except for group rides, which are always about as much effort as I can give them.

I do a lot of my specific interval training on my resistance rollers.

BikeForums is a very good place to learn about most everything. When I was just starting out, I subscribed to Bicycling for a year or two. If I want to know about a specific thing, I google.
Old 02-21-20, 11:03 PM
Froomewannabe

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Suggest you watch or listen to Trainerroad YouTube or podcast. Very informative and free. They also have Trainerroad app/software that runs 20 month. I plan to try it once my Zwift subscription runs out. Think Trainerroad will be more productive for me. I have wahoo Kickr trainer which I like and ride with a group in the summer which has been a good learning experience and fun.
Old 02-22-20, 02:00 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I’ll put in a plug for Sufferfest. The key to all of these is using power and cadence as the metric, particularly for intervals, where HR is a lagging indicator. Sufferfest has workouts for a number of different areas. If you do their 4DP test they can use those numbers to set up a customized training plan. They worked in conjunction with Fitness Peaks but that may have changed. What I like most is that the workouts are designed by cycling coaches who know far more than I do; I get the benefit of a structured workout without the guesswork.
One of the great things about structured indoor workouts is that the yearly down cycle that would happen in the fall, when riding in the evenings stopped, has stopped.
Old 02-23-20, 02:30 PM
maxlentz

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I’ll put in a plug for Sufferfest. The key to all of these is using power and cadence as the metric, particularly for intervals, where HR is a lagging indicator. Sufferfest has workouts for a number of different areas. If you do their 4DP test they can use those numbers to set up a customized training plan. They worked in conjunction with Fitness Peaks but that may have changed. What I like most is that the workouts are designed by cycling coaches who know far more than I do; I get the benefit of a structured workout without the guesswork.
One of the great things about structured indoor workouts is that the yearly down cycle that would happen in the fall, when riding in the evenings stopped, has stopped.
Is Sufferfest more of an indoor or outdoor training app?