Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Marin Larkspur with drop bars?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 02:44 PM
leech79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi- I've got a Marin Larkspur 2005 like the one in the link below which I commute on and love as its basically maintenance free but its very upright especially when theres any headwind....!....so...I was thinking of putting some different bars on it - maybe drop bars or would this be too aggressive? Any suggestions welcome or advice from anyone thats done anything similar.

I don't want to buy a new bike !

Cheers

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...spur&Type=bike
Old 05-18-10, 03:04 PM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
There are multiple ways to get a more aerodynamic position - basically various combinations of moving hand position downward and further forward. This can be accomplished by
- longer stem (forward extension)
- lower the stem (vertical) or replace an up-angled stem with a horizontal-forward angled stem
- diff handlebars that offer hand positions further down and/or forward

Putting drop bars on your bike will be a lot of work - you'll need totally different shifters and break levers, and likely have to muck around with different stem as well.
I would recommend you put a longer forward-extension stem on the bike, and make sure your stem is angled downward, not upwards. Your stem may adjust (with a pivot, as is hte case on the bike pictured in your link) or you may flip the stem so it comes at a down-angle off the fork's steerer tube, instead of an up-angle. but you'll probably want a longer stem to put the bar further away from you as well.

One other thing you can do is put bar-ends on the ends of your flat bar. This gives you a more forward, more-extended position (although doesn't have access to brakes). I have this sort of setup on my commuting bike.
Old 05-18-10, 04:01 PM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or a TT handlebar (clip-on) with minimum changes and work.
Or a full TT handlebar will require bar end TT brakes, and TT bar end shifters, but this is way to expensive. (otherwise I was hauling in the streets with a mountan bike with TT handlebar, and when I thought I'm a weirdo, I saw a BMX with inverted drop bars )
Old 05-18-10, 04:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
N+1: Cost of converting to drop bars is relatively expensive. Look for a deal on a complete bike instead.
Old 05-19-10, 01:52 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Cheapest, easiest fix is to add a pair of drop bar ends. Gives you one deep tuck position when you need it with a minimum of fuss.
Old 05-19-10, 02:11 AM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or put these on the actual handlebar:

You'd have a flatbar instead of dropbar
Old 05-19-10, 02:46 AM
leech79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome, thanks everyone I'll give it a go
Old 05-19-10, 02:52 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is my Fuji version of your bike. Cost to convert: bars ($20), levers for linear brakes ($22), bar end shifters ($60).

Old 05-19-10, 08:29 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
for your purposes, I'll very strongly stand by my original suggestion of angling the stem downward as first try (no cost) and likely just putting a longer stem on the bike (~$20) and installing bar-ends if you want another hand position (~$10)
Unless you're sitting bolt-upright, in which case the bike is just too small for you.
Old 07-14-10, 01:02 AM
globally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
This is my Fuji version of your bike. Cost to convert: bars ($20), levers for linear brakes ($22), bar end shifters ($60).

bumping a month old topic, but been thinking of doing the same thing as the original poster and the quoted post

my question, is i'm getting my upgrades as a gift, to which i have a $200 range, i was originally looking at getting these

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ke+Levers.aspx
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Road+Bar.aspx#
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Ea70+Stem.aspx
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Shifters.aspx

i just wanted to make sure that all of these would be compatible with my larkspur (a 2008), and since i have the budget, should i look into getting some integrated shifter/brake levers? if so, suggestions that would be compatible with the derailers/brakes i already have (factory)

that being said, i've been reading stuff on this forum with help on bike maintenance, repairs, and upgrades, for the past year, thanks a bunch to the community and the moderators