Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2014!! How was your commute today?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2014!! How was your commute today?

Old 01-31-14, 08:25 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Confession. No bike commutes this week. Three commutes behind goal already and it's only January. I'll have to make it up during May Is Bike Month.

Monday needed truck for errands
Tuesday time in the morning taken up dealing with someone having rummaged through my glove box since I left the truck unlocked on the street like an idiot
Wednesday rain
Thursday scared off by empty threat of rain
Friday off
Sounds like a lot of excuses to me...

Seriously though, unless it's a downpour, rain isn't going to hurt anything. Just bring a change of clothes and your bike clothes will be dry by the end of the work day.
Old 01-31-14, 09:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
Sounds like a lot of excuses to me...

Seriously though, unless it's a downpour, rain isn't going to hurt anything. Just bring a change of clothes and your bike clothes will be dry by the end of the work day.
I live in a mostly-sunny place and commute for my own enjoyment. I would not enjoy that.
Old 01-31-14, 10:53 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well yesterday was a bit of an odd one. First time I've turned around and went back to the house after leaving on the bike.

I woke up at 5, checked the weather, and was like nahhh and turned over and went back to sleep until 6. Got up at 6 and jumped in the shower, then started thinking I might go ahead and ride in anyway. Trouble is, I had no clothes or shower stuff at work, which meant over-stuffed backpack. And I needed my heavy boots and heavy coat for a meeting outside at a job site in the afternoon.

So I got all suited up like usual, but had to stuff my bike shoes in my backpack for the afternoon ride and wear my boots. I've been wanting to try that anyway to see if my feet stay warmer than if I'm clipped in. I wore a long-sleeve tech base layer, long sleeve jersey, and then this very heavy coat, and my backpack. I could barely move my upper body. By the time I got out of my neighborhood I was already sweating like crazy, and it was already 7 AM. Would have been way past 8 when I got to work.

So I said nope. Turned around and went back. Changed, got in the car, and got to work about 7:55.

Would have been a super nice ride home in the upper 40's with a nice tail wind. That makes 2 solid weeks no with no bike commutes. Only got in 1 commute day this entire month Hopefully next week will bring some better opportunities. By golly I'm going to bring my next day's clothes to work on Monday or Wednesday whether I think I'll ride or not, JUST IN CASE!
Old 01-31-14, 11:03 AM
spivonious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I live in a mostly-sunny place and commute for my own enjoyment. I would not enjoy that.
I didn't mean to come across as pushy, but you did say it was a goal of yours. It's hard to meet a goal if rain in the forecast is enough to kill it. Living in an area that gets a normal amount of rain (averaging about 3" a month), I'd be taking days off almost every week if I only rode on days with no precipitation. I actually enjoy riding in a light rain in the summer. It keeps me from getting too hot and can be very refreshing.

I only meant to witness that riding in the rain can still be enjoyable.
Old 01-31-14, 11:28 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I agree, a light rain in warmer weather can be quite nice, other than my shoes filling up with water. I need some SPD sandals or something.

Rainy weather below 50° is just miserable when you don't have any real rain gear (I don't).
Old 01-31-14, 11:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
It's good for you southern guys to get a taste of real winter every once and awhile! Good luck with the surgery!!
I can't wait to try some of my hills without all this extra weight weight holding me back.

Clavicle steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clavicle steel.jpg (28.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-31-14, 07:08 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Ah, all healed up, then?

M.
Old 02-01-14, 11:52 AM
OrionXavier

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the streets were iced over, cars abandoned all over the place from sliding out of control. Some cars flipped. That wast last night. This morning pretty much the same, but I just made a trip to the grocery store about 2 blocks away. I actually used my bike as a brace (I have Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires) as I got out of my house, otherwise I was sliding all over the place trying to walk. The Schwalbes are amazing on ice, not so great on most snow, except for fresh snow (up to 4 inches). Plus they're almost puncture proof which is good because I'm in a bad neighborhood that routinely breaks their f'ing bottles on the sides of the roads, as if it is a pastime.

Cars were still sliding all over, one was stuck in the middle of one of the parking lot lanes at the grocery store. Almost ran me over as I started biking past him. Why he decided to start moving again after seeing me, I don't know. Nearly crushed my bike against the curb.

Got to the grocery store and people were doing a "double take" when they saw me; my bike. Apparently people don't know that you can buy ice/snow tires for bicycles lol. One man was describing to his daughter (presumably) as I passed, how they make spikes on bicycle tires.
Old 02-01-14, 09:27 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Ah, all healed up, then?

M.
Yeah, I've had the hardware for a year and a half almost, put it off until this January for insurance purposes. It's just been a constant annoyance. The surgeon took one look at it and said with his trademark bedside manner, "Haha, that looks like it's about to burst through your skin, yep gotta come out."

I just realized that I had the choice of doing it last Monday. I would have had a perfect excuse to sit out the whole Atlanta Snow-Zombie Apocalypse and been out riding in this beautiful weather today. But I have to plan it for weekend recovery to not miss work. What a waste.

I think the sutures will be healed enough for the Monday commute, the bone will be weak of course until the holes fill in but that's going to be weeks. I think as long as I'm careful I'm good to go. Doc wouldn't like that idea but he didn't actually order me off the bike, not while I was conscious enough to remember anyway ... it's simple really, boils down to "don't fall".
Old 02-01-14, 09:37 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Lots of good bone broth. That's the ticket!

Or so the old folks used to say...

M.
Old 02-03-14, 06:01 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
38F 3 C, one week ago I was freeaing on the way in...today it was sheets of rain, buckets of rain, or just plain rain. I liked it actually, cleaned the streets and my bike from the road salt.
Old 02-03-14, 09:43 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Slushfest! But slush is OK on a bike share bike, with big fat tires and all. There's a couple of inches of muck on the ground, but it's above freezing, so it's mostly melted. You still have to be careful near intersections though, where plows and tire tracks have missed. It was a slow slog, but otherwise not too difficult. I looked like a snowman by the time I got to work though.

Last edited by wilfried; 02-03-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 10:01 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bonus commute today, but I am paying for it. I expected to drive today because forecasts were calling for heavy showers due to a cold front passing through, but the front was slow in arriving and it was warm with no rain when I got up. The front is supposed to pass through by mid-afternoon with no rain after that, so I decided to ride after all. Well, I didn't get rained on, but battled monster headwinds all the way to work -- it was like a continuous 14-mile climb. The wind is supposed to shift 180 degrees after the front passes, so it looks like I'll be battling headwinds all the way home as well. On the plus side, I'll be getting a heckuva workout today and should stay mostly dry.
Old 02-03-14, 11:37 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3-4 inches of snow and still falling this morning so I took the wife's car. There was a stranded motorist at the bottom of my drive that I had to help out. Fun morning. I'm missing the ride today.
Old 02-03-14, 11:47 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Patches of ice here and there. No commute for me and I actually stayed home. Hoping to get a ride in this afternoon
Old 02-03-14, 05:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Flat this morning. I couldn't find a thorn but the tube had a wrinkle, it may have rubbed itself raw. I will check later... the backup tube is holding.

My only bike commute this week, heading out on business travel the rest of it.
Old 02-03-14, 06:06 PM
spivonious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No work today, driving or riding. 6" of heavy, wet snow, and a lackadaisical plow team means the roads were pretty much impassable until around 3PM. Depending on condition, I may ride tomorrow.
Old 02-03-14, 09:59 PM
Fizzaly
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prepared for snow....of which not much stuck... Pretty nice day though, was 28f this morning and 35f and sunny this afternoon and it's soo much better now that the inversion has left the valley and we have the SUN once again!
Old 02-03-14, 10:04 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Great rides today. Just below freezing but clear and windless. It's supposed to get colder this week.
Old 02-04-14, 08:43 AM
duckbill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Great rides today. Just below freezing but clear and windless. It's supposed to get colder this week.
This morning was colder then my poor toes can handle. - 30 Celsius with the wind chill. My face and chest was covered in frost upon my arrival at work but my electric gloves saved my hands yet again. The rear derailleur froze in the 16 T but that seemed to work for all but the steeper hills. If it gets any colder, I'm back on the bus.
Old 02-04-14, 08:44 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First bike commute since the 16th of january. I could've ride yesterday but I didn't because it looked icy from my window, but it wasn't ...
We have a real winter this year so it's harder to commute by bike in my area but still only one less commute than last year at the same date.
So this morning was gray, -12° celcius with a little tail Wind, a bit of snow but nothing to slow me down, the legs felt great after more than 2 weeks off the bike.
Old 02-04-14, 10:10 AM
mtessmer
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dramiscram
First bike commute since the 16th of january. I could've ride yesterday but I didn't because it looked icy from my window, but it wasn't ...
We have a real winter this year so it's harder to commute by bike in my area but still only one less commute than last year at the same date.
So this morning was gray, -12° celcius with a little tail Wind, a bit of snow but nothing to slow me down, the legs felt great after more than 2 weeks off the bike.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, it's been since the 17th for me. We've had 33 days below -0 F so far this year and the most snow we've had in thirty years. I rode yesterday and it felt really good. I pretty much picked up where I left off. Maybe the x-country skiing and snowshoeing has helped.
Old 02-04-14, 11:26 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Great ride in today, but that might be because it's the first since early last week! 19F and roads and trail are clear. I might pay for riding because we're under a winter storm warning starting at 1p - good excuse to leave early!
Old 02-04-14, 10:17 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Tough ride home today, quite a bit of headwind and cold but I was dressed in wool from head to toe and felt about right. Somehow cold air feels like more work to ride in.
Old 02-05-14, 06:59 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Drove for the second day in a rain due to cold rain and fog with temps in the 30s F. When I got up, it looked like there would be a window in the showers, so I packed my bike up and get dressed in my cycling gear, but then the rain started coming down heavier and I bagged it. I spent a couple of hours cleaning my bikes on Sunday from all of the accumulated grime from riding in the rain over the past few months and didn't feel like undoing all of my hard work, and -- quite frankly -- I'm sick and tired of riding in cold drizzle. I was able to dodge the showers on Monday, but it was one of the toughest commutes I have ever had with brutal headwinds in the morning and afternoon. I was totally wiped out Monday night and I was snacking all night, presumably replacing all of the calories I burned. The weather is supposed to finally clear up on Thursday and Friday, so I should get in a decent week of commuting in total.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.