Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2014!! How was your commute today?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2014!! How was your commute today?

Old 03-07-14, 08:59 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
Nice ride in this morning. Felt a bit better than yesterday, but still faced a 10mph headwind.

I almost got hit last night. A guy stopped at a stop sign on a cross street and never looked before starting forward. I was in front of him at this point. Luckily he noticed me at the last second and stopped before we had a collision. He got an earful from me, but had that "deer-in-headlights" look.
And almost got hit again in the same spot coming home tonight. People just don't process what their eyes see.
Old 03-07-14, 10:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Windy, but pleasant temperature.
Old 03-10-14, 05:14 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+5C / 41F and dark as night with the time change. But the birds are singing, the snows are almost completely gone and spring seems to have gotten a foothold finally.
Old 03-10-14, 05:58 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Today was my first day when I am supposed to start back commuting by bike. I headed out this morning but the snow-covered road and the snow hitting my face was a huge factor in making me turn around and go back home. I took the car instead today but will ride tomorrow as it is not supposed to snow. I am disappointed not to ride my bike today.
Old 03-10-14, 06:24 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Great ride this morning and the weather is looking nice for most of the week for a change. I'm back to riding in the dark again for my morning commute with the time change over the weekend, but that doesn't bother me because my lights are good. We are entering the difficult season for dressing, however, with big swings between morning and afternoon temperatures. It was in the mid-30s F this morning but is supposed to be in the 70s this afternoon, so I dressed on the light side and was chilly for the first half of my ride. Looking forward to the sun and warm temps this afternoon.
Old 03-10-14, 06:32 AM
spivonious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in this morning. I had my lights going since it's the first work day after DST started and it's cloudy. Hopefully I can get a full week in. It would be the first since November.
Old 03-10-14, 07:27 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a lot of snow this morning, 2-3 cm, but enough for me to take my van. I may be able to ride tomorrow but wednesday we should get 10-15 cm of snow...
Old 03-10-14, 09:28 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram
Not a lot of snow this morning, 2-3 cm, but enough for me to take my van. I may be able to ride tomorrow but wednesday we should get 10-15 cm of snow...
Got a few cm of snow last night. My bike doesn't have studded tires, just knobbies but they was not sufficient to make much headway (more sideways movement than forward) so I turned around after about 50m/yd, put the bike back in the garage and walked in (late, shhhhh!!).

I'll try again on Wednesday too but we're not expecting additional snow, just mild for the next couple of days (+1C today, +2C tomorrow), then down again to cold for Wednesday/Thursday (-12C/0F highs, -23C/-9F lows) when the path conditions will be better for my bike's tires.
Old 03-10-14, 09:46 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
heat wave!!!!!!

it's was 43 degrees this morning, and damp.

i felt like i was riding in the amazon.

i don't think it's been this warm in chicago in what seems like several years now.
Old 03-10-14, 09:52 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Gonna be dark now on my morning commutes until sometime in mid-April I think, if I remember the sunrise time chart correctly. I second the sentiment on difficult dressing. I packed clothes for tomorrow this morning, and included a short-sleeve jersey for the ride home tomorrow (upper 70's). Tomorrow morning I will wear a long-sleeve jersey and jacket (upper 40's).
Old 03-10-14, 10:16 AM
OrionXavier

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillynHook
Have you rode in similar conditions with a hybrid/commuter bike with snow tires? How well does that fat bike handle in the snow by comparison?

The conditions you rode in were fairly ideal for Winter. I'm using a Trek 7.2 FX with Schwalbe Winter Marathon tires, it cuts through fresh snow easily enough, and it's amazing in ice. The problem I have is with >4" of snow, and tire ruts. My thin tires/wheels get bounced all over the place with dozens of tire ruts crisscrossing. That's where I see a fat bike doing a better job, or at least I hope so.
Old 03-10-14, 10:25 AM
teddywookie

Bikes: 2013 SE Bikes Draft Lite with rain fenders

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute WAS AWESOME today. It was a little snowy, slushy, puddly but my back is dry because I installed RAIN FENDERS a week ago. Ho yeah. You'll just have to imagine my victory dance.

Secondary issue, the workplace has a traditional bike rack under a little roof, and two wave-form auxiliary ones. The roofed one is no good for me any more because with the fenders I can't throw the front wheel over the bar for better security. Humbug. Also, did I mention that my back is dry?
Old 03-10-14, 05:22 PM
TrekCommuter

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It was awesome. Cool, breezy ride in. Warmer, windy and sunny ride home.
Old 03-10-14, 08:40 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Nice tailwind today and a new all-time record of 32:46. Woohoo!
Old 03-11-14, 04:30 AM
motoboy

Bikes: BD CX commuter, 80's Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just rode my first commute of the year. A toddler at home is my excuse.
50F and perfectly clear. As I rode around the airport at which I work, a Fedex 767 flew 100' over my head on landing. That was a nice wake-me-up.
It feels good to ride again!

Last edited by motoboy; 03-11-14 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 05:03 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motoboy
50F and perfectly clear. As I rode around the airport at which I work, a Fedex 767 flew 100' over my head on landing. That was a nice wake-me-up.
Welcome!

Almost balmy coming in this morning 48F/9C We will be getting cooler temps later this week though.
Old 03-11-14, 05:11 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
I was able to commute by bike today. It was a cold 30f degrees when I left the house and dark, partly cloudy skies. . There were also some icy spots on the roads, but I was very happy to be out and on my bike. The temp on my way home should be near the 50f degree mark. That should be a nice ride home!!
Old 03-11-14, 07:19 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by motoboy
Hah, I know what you mean. Here on PAX there's all manner of aircraft going about. My commute takes me across one of the taxiways which, while not often requiring a stop, sometimes hosts C5's and other giant planes. Or jets.

M.
Old 03-11-14, 07:30 AM
spivonious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was very nice riding home in a t-shirt yesterday. Perfect riding weather: sunny and mid-50s.

This morning felt a little colder than yesterday morning. It made me wish I hadn't left my facemask in the garage.

Overall, a nice ride in. My legs are getting stronger yet, and I'm almost back to where I was prior to the Polar Vortex™. I got buzzed (first one in a long time) by a rented panel truck. I was hoping to catch up to him, but it was on the big hill in my route, and he was long gone by the time I reached the top. I don't think they realize how far out the wing mirrors stick.
Old 03-11-14, 07:42 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It snowed again last night but I took a chance and rode my bike anyway, It was a good decision as the ride went fine. The temp. was a mild 0° celcius with a little tailwind/crosswind. The snow will melt today with temp up to 5-6 ° but tomorrow we will have 20-30 cm of snow with a lot of Wind so no commute for the rest of the week
I was ahead of last year at the same date for the number of commute but with the coming weather I will have to skip a few days... sadly
Old 03-11-14, 08:39 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute after the time change...was dark, black dark, when I left the house just before 7am today. First time I have ridden this recumbent in the dark. I added another 'cheap' headlight on the left side of the handlebar, to look around the fairing and try and light the road but it doesn't show too much. Could just make out the fog line on the edge of the pavement as I headed north out of the neighborhood, but it quickly got lighter. By the time I got to work at 7:30 the sun was getting ready to rise... A good commute, 55 degrees, calm, and not too much traffic. Had ALL my lights on.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 03-11-14, 09:09 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I'm one who likes DST - I don't mind the dark in the morning and love having it light on the way home. A balmy 44F this morning and forecast to get to 65 this afternoon. And then tonight we're supposed to get sleet and snow through tomorrow. I am officially done riding in the snow - took the studs off yesterday almost a month earlier than usual. I can handle the cold but am sick of ice and snow. I don't know how you guys who live in the real north do it!
Old 03-11-14, 09:35 AM
Allycat24

Bikes: All-City Space Horse, Trek 5000 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first commute since last October, and first outdoor ride since early December. The bike felt too large for me and the seat felt uncomfortable, but otherwise it was a pleasant ride. I'm sure it will feel more natural in a few days. I think it was in the 40s and I was appropropriate dressed, which is unusual for me. Not too hot, not too cold.
Old 03-11-14, 02:23 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Today was the day we've all been waiting for, 60+ degrees and sunny in NYC. This was my second commute of the year. It was the first on my diy upgraded bike, with a new dynamo wheel, new light, new 10sp XT drivetrain, XT v-brakes (no discs, frame won't take them), Gatorskin tires. It rides like a completely different bike. I spent almost $500 on everything and I'm beginning to think it was worth it. It would cost a lot more to buy a new bike with the same level of components, and a good half of what I spent was on the dynamo setup.
Old 03-11-14, 03:21 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My morning ride was dark last week, so of course it's still dark. But my ride home should have me wallowing in long-missed, newly visible scenery! It was about 31 F. but the stars were out in force. The bus drivers think I'm nuts for riding when it's this cold (I think the high teens are my cold-ride record) but I like it way better than rain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.