Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to Aero Bars - Forearms on Handlebar Grips?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 08:27 PM
raywood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just installed my first set of aero bars on a hybrid bike with nearly straight handebars. They were inexpensive -- I just wanted to try the option.

I am tall. Fully extended, on this bike, the aero bars don't seem quite long enough. Preliminary riding suggests I might sometimes want to rest my forearms on the handlebar grips. But there's no padding. I've searched briefly for velcro-attached forearm pads, but I haven't yet found anything quite right.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-19, 09:21 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by raywood
I just installed my first set of aero bars on a hybrid bike with nearly straight handebars. They were inexpensive -- I just wanted to try the option.

I am tall. Fully extended, on this bike, the aero bars don't seem quite long enough. Preliminary riding suggests I might sometimes want to rest my forearms on the handlebar grips. But there's no padding. I've searched briefly for velcro-attached forearm pads, but I haven't yet found anything quite right.

Any suggestions?
Aero bars on a hybrid is a bit out of the ordinary. Or is it simply a flat bar road bike and not a hybrid? But hey...either way more power to ya. Regarding the length...are yours adjustable? Many are. I have three different sets/brands of clip on aero bars. Two of them the length is adjustable, one is not. As far as arm rest pads...new, out-of-the-box they should have included pads...all mine did...although I think that are some brand/models that don't.

Dan
Old 03-25-19, 10:49 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Like this

Old 03-27-19, 03:46 PM
raywood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a hybrid, not a road bike. With the aero bars fully extended, I think it would be more comfortable (or at least a useful option) to be able to rest my forearms on the handlegrips. The problem is, they aren't very padded. So I'm wondering if there's some kind of pad to soften things a bit. I was thinking in terms of pads for the forearms rather than for the handlegrips so that I don't lose functionality when I'm hands on the latter.

Re: the photo: unfortunately, the pads that came with the aero bars I bought aren't as far away from the aero bars. They're basically right next to the aero bars. So I can't splay them out further to left and right. But the photo isn't my situation anyway -- my handlebars are pretty much a straight bar, and I'm looking to rest my forearms on the handlegrips.
Old 03-28-19, 06:07 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Longer stem? The reason the pads are mounted so narrow is because it's more aero. If you flare out your forearms you kinda defeat the point of using them in the first place
Old 04-01-19, 09:18 AM
NameTaken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think he cares so much about going faster. It's more a comfort thing.
Old 04-01-19, 09:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Some aero bars allow adjustments for lateral positioning of the arm pads. Which aero bars are you using?
Old 04-01-19, 11:14 AM
raywood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are Mpedo bars, no apparent model number, from Amazon. Unfortunately, there is no lateral adjustment. And NameTaken is right -- this is about comfort. Resting my forearms out on the handlegrips does seem to lower my head a bit, so there may be some compensation for the winglike posture. But primarily it's about having a more comfortable position. So I'm still interested in forearm pad ideas.
Old 04-01-19, 11:28 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts

The aero bar attachments you have aren't adjustable. You can buy some that are. They have a clamp on elbow rest. But it seems you'd have to remove your current ones first.
Old 04-01-19, 11:30 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Why not pipe insulation from the home improvement store?
Old 04-07-19, 08:31 PM
raywood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting ideas!

The existing elbow pads can be removed from the bars. It seems I might be able to insert an extension that would allow me to position those pads a few inches further out, without interfering with use of the handgrips.

I happen to have a few pieces of pipe insulation lying around. I just tried one. It has a slit lengthwise. Presumably it came that way from the store. Didn't measure the diameter, but it's too small to form an O around the handlegrips. Forms a C instead -- which is probably preferable anyway, for purposes of not interfering with squeezing the brakes all the way down to the handgrip. The foam is maybe not as stiff as one could wish, but it's not soft either. Maybe I could add a second layer, using a larger diameter piece of pipe insulation, zip-tied or hose-clamped onto the handgrips. It might work. My fingers are still long enough to reach the handbrake. I'll have to rig it up and try it out. I'll try to get back here if/when I get it together. Many thanks!