Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

How can NBC improve coverage of the TdF?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

How can NBC improve coverage of the TdF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 09:48 AM
MDfive21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Eurosport (English) have a guy who comes on during a quiet part of each stage to talk about the wine/cheese/cuisine of the region and give a recipe for a local dish. They also have former pro-rider Juan Antonio Fletcha riding his bike up the day's main climb describing what it's like and doing rider interviews, especially in Spanish. Also on the team is the former pro-cyclist and team manager Brian Smith (Scottish accent) and cycling legend Sean Kelly (Irish accent).

None of the above may suit an American audience however.
yep, EuroSport coverage is better in every way. i can't even watch NBC with all the split screen, pip, cutaways.. it's exhausting and hard on the ears compared to EuroSport.
Old 08-10-18, 10:20 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MDfive21
yep, EuroSport coverage is better in every way. i can't even watch NBC with all the split screen, pip, cutaways.. it's exhausting and hard on the ears compared to EuroSport.
How do you get both NBCsn and Eurosport?
Old 08-10-18, 10:24 AM
MDfive21

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See this post and read the rest of teh thread for more info.
Old 08-10-18, 12:20 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MDfive21
Agreed. I'm in Canada and was really surprised to see the NBC version available. I think I lasted less than 2 minutes before I flipped back to the EuroSport coverage; I think I caught them in the middle of a discussion of the importance of all the American riders in the peloton
Old 08-10-18, 12:24 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Ratings were dismal this year for the TDF, some days didn't even crack the top 150 of cable programs for the day or a 0.02 rating (that means only 2 out of 10,000 people) That means advertising revenue is almost zero and cycling already has a limited advertising revenue appeal.

I blame some of this on the inconstancy of the coverage. Some days they bumped it for stuff like "Professional Fight League". Some days it was on NBC in the morning but didn't make the effort to really promote it there.

I blame some of this on the Froome BS, just another black eye that people think cycling is doped, regardless if Froome was innocent or not.

Having top sprinters eliminated or being a non-factor hurt them also.

Drone coverage might be good but how much would it cost the TDF organizers to have them? Live cameras on the bikes might help but when you factor in everything, will any rider add the weight needed for a live camera?
Maybe someone whose bike is just below the weight limit, could volunteer to have a camera mounted. Hell, pay the rider $20k, I'm sure someone would do it. Can you imagine the kind of footage you could get if you had a rearward-facing camera on a lead-out man's bike during some of the sprint finishes?
Old 08-10-18, 12:52 PM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Commercials? Since the live coverage started at 4 am it all got recorded and the commercials were just a blur.

Anybody in the business know if they track ratings on people who record and watch later. Seems like easy software to include in DVR's.
Old 08-10-18, 04:09 PM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I watched every minute of the Tour on NBCSN. All but a few minutes of that was on DVR.
As far as I'm concerned they have excellent coverage. Bob and Christian have improved and Phil and Paul.....well, they're the same as they've been for years. Yea, Phil screws stuff up but I can't imagine the Tour without him.
Old 08-10-18, 07:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have heard that they don't track and don't get credit for recordings. Possibly because advertisers know people can FF through commercials.
Old 08-11-18, 04:51 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
How do you get both NBCsn and Eurosport?
This is perhaps the most convenient to use once set up, reliable, and most secure way. There are other ways that require less stuff or save a few bucks but expose you to naughty websites or are just a hassle to use.

Get a cheap router with DD-WRT, connect it behind the router you do all your stuff on now. Get a VPN account, I used StrongVPN and they were great. Tell the VPN account you want to appear like you're in [whatever restricted viewing area you want to watch]. Depending on which VPN plan you choose, you may get the option to bounce around, i.e. change your faux location multiple times over your term.

When you want to watch NBCSn, connect (your Roku, your laptop, etc.) through your primary router. You appear to the target website as if you are where you are.

When you want to watch [whatever], connect to your DD-WRT router. You appear to the target website as if you are at the VPN server location.

Alternately, you can skip the DD-WRT router and install the VPN software on each device. Use that if you're mobile, but the router based thing is more convenient and works for all devices connected to it. As long as you'll be there.
Old 08-11-18, 03:36 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
How about having a few stages ending say in a auto-racing stadium. 10,000s of watch them do a final lap or two around a stadium setting up and would be incredibly easy for it to be televised. Fans would see live the entire trains being set up.
Old 08-11-18, 05:21 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Originally Posted by slcbob
This is perhaps the most convenient to use once set up, reliable, and most secure way. There are other ways that require less stuff or save a few bucks but expose you to naughty websites or are just a hassle to use.

Get a cheap router with DD-WRT, connect it behind the router you do all your stuff on now. Get a VPN account, I used StrongVPN and they were great. Tell the VPN account you want to appear like you're in [whatever restricted viewing area you want to watch]. Depending on which VPN plan you choose, you may get the option to bounce around, i.e. change your faux location multiple times over your term.

When you want to watch NBCSn, connect (your Roku, your laptop, etc.) through your primary router. You appear to the target website as if you are where you are.

When you want to watch [whatever], connect to your DD-WRT router. You appear to the target website as if you are at the VPN server location.

Alternately, you can skip the DD-WRT router and install the VPN software on each device. Use that if you're mobile, but the router based thing is more convenient and works for all devices connected to it. As long as you'll be there.
Thank you for your thoughtful answer.

But honestly, I haven't the faintest idea about what your saying. I'm on the old school side of time now, so a lot of technology is passing me by these days. I just want to turn on my TV and watch, and I am happy enough with NBC, but thanks!
Old 08-13-18, 02:28 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Can you imagine the kind of footage you could get if you had a rearward-facing camera on a lead-out man's bike during some of the sprint finishes?
You mean footage like this:
?

there's plenty more where that came from.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-15-18, 02:22 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I really like the format and I like it when Christian joined the crew too. A little trash talk between the riders would be nice to amp up the drama bit, even if it is staged.
Old 08-15-18, 04:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

[QUOTE=MyTi;20508274 A little trash talk between the riders would be nice to amp up the drama bit, even if it is staged.[/QUOTE] Yeah, there is already enough pro wrestling, if that's what you like.

Whatever happened to the idea that adults didn't behave like idiots to get idiots' approval?
Old 08-15-18, 04:29 PM
Giacomo 1 

So, is the Veulta on NBCsn or do I have to buy into their Gold package?

Its not coming up on my cable guides...😥
Old 08-19-18, 03:41 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah, there is already enough pro wrestling, if that's what you like.

Whatever happened to the idea that adults didn't behave like idiots to get idiots' approval?
With blood doping, mechanical doping, epo, and a multitude of ways teams have cheated in the decades of cycling, I'm not sure pro cycling is any more real than pro wrestling. Might as well spice up some drama. I'm just saying, they are competitors, a little trash talk is ok.
Old 08-19-18, 03:48 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by MyTi
With blood doping, mechanical doping, epo, and a multitude of ways teams have cheated in the decades of cycling, I'm not sure pro cycling is any more real than pro wrestling. Might as well spice up some drama. I'm just saying, they are competitors, a little trash talk is ok.
I don't agree, but I can understand your position and respect your reasoning.
Old 08-24-18, 07:47 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Thank you for your thoughtful answer.

But honestly, I haven't the faintest idea about what your saying. I'm on the old school side of time now, so a lot of technology is passing me by these days. I just want to turn on my TV and watch, and I am happy enough with NBC, but thanks!
Most Eurosport feeds are geo-restricted to Europe. If you want to watch them, you need to pretend to be in Europe. Similarly NBC for America. Hence the two routers, and depending on which WiFi network you connect to (your current USA one, or the DD-WRT/VPN stealth Euro one) you can watch the restricted feeds.

So you can get to what you asked for, but not the way you want. It is not hard, just tedious to set up. Google a bit.

On the Vuelta, yeah, NBC Gold or check the other options at steephill.tv
Old 08-24-18, 08:10 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Ratings were dismal this year for the TDF, some days didn't even crack the top 150 of cable programs for the day …

Did my part which was pretty early in the morning on the West coast. I give Bob Roll credit for calling the winner of more stages before they'd even started, than anyone else... Paul didn't seem to be as visible this year. Ordinarily, it's easy to criticize things but it's hard to find much fault in the coverage this year in as much as I think this was the best Tour I've seen. About all I can say is it's nuts to see one of these riders go down because of idiot fans with their musette bags or camera straps are allowed to get so close to the action.
Old 10-08-18, 10:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So, is the Vuelta on NBCSN or do I have to buy into their Gold package?

Its not coming up on my cable guides...😥
I have Spectrum , added the next level of access... 'Silver' .. the Olympic channel, 701 , had Vuelta coverage
steve and bob commenting..

Paris - Tours was on NBCSN, yesterday..