Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Surly Wednesday the best bet under $1500?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 12-13-18, 11:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts

Hello,
Looking to get my first fat bike. I want a rigid one.

My goal with this is to be able to get out on the trails for the 5 months of winter and/or wet fall and spring here in upstate NY. I don't see myself using this bike a whole lot during the drier months, so I am not that concerned about how well it does as a dry weather, high speed shredder (I have a 6" All Mountain bike for that). I see typical rides being on trails that range from easy and flowy to some more rooty, rocky and steep sections, in conditions ranging from icy to snowy to just mucky and miserable. There are also some forest service roads that are not plowed in the winter that I would like to put some miles on.

So I guess I want a bike that is pretty do-it-all in the wet, snowy or sloppy months.

I am a very experienced mountain biker, but have only demoed fat bikes on actual trails twice. Pretty sure they were both Salsas. And it was on dry trails.

My budget is $1500 max, but would really like to keep it under so that I have some extra in case I want to do things like get different tires.

There are a few bikes I can get particularly good deals on:
  • A new Surly Wednesday for $1,200
  • A new Surly Pugsly for $1,500
  • New Old Stock 2015 Pugsly for $1,100
  • New Old Stock 2015 Fugi Wendigo for ~$950 (I think there was only one model that year)
I am heavily leaning towards the Wednesday.

My question is whether there are other solid contenders that I should consider for $1500 or less that might be a better bet than the Wednesday?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-18, 01:37 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I'd vote for Wednesday (truth in posting: I'm a Surly fan). But take a look at Framed, they have a strong offering in the lower price-points and are popular around here (Framed is base near Minneapolis)
Old 12-18-18, 03:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'd vote for Wednesday (truth in posting: I'm a Surly fan). But take a look at Framed, they have a strong offering in the lower price-points and are popular around here (Framed is base near Minneapolis)
Yes, I got from the other thread you were a Surly fan

The local shop is getting a Wednesday in for me, though I am not obligated to buy it..... but I probably will unless it does not fit. Though in that case I would probably just get the next larger size of the same bike.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-18-18 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 03:56 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Please post an update after your test ride!
Old 12-18-18, 08:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Please post an update after your test ride!
Will do for sure. Won’t be until end of next week, though. Anticipation is killing me. Bike should be in tomorrow, but the shop is only open a couple hours each evening Mon-Thur, and I have obligations each night this week and then leaving town for 5 days.
Old 12-18-18, 11:12 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Hello,
Looking to get my first fat bike. I want a rigid one.

My goal with this is to be able to get out on the trails for the 5 months of winter and/or wet fall and spring here in upstate NY. I don't see myself using this bike a whole lot during the drier months, so I am not that concerned about how well it does as a dry weather, high speed shredder (I have a 6" All Mountain bike for that). I see typical rides being on trails that range from easy and flowy to some more rooty, rocky and steep sections, in conditions ranging from icy to snowy to just mucky and miserable. There are also some forest service roads that are not plowed in the winter that I would like to put some miles on.
Thanks.
Don't discount the fatty for the summer, it might just do better than you think
Old 12-19-18, 05:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by MarcusT
Don't discount the fatty for the summer, it might just do better than you think
I’ve actually done two demos on Fat bikes on dry trails in the past. To be honest, I did not think either was particularly fun compared to my AM FS bike or my 29er HT.

However, those demos were 3 and 5 years ago, and it may be that a bike with more progressive trail geo (like the Wesnesday) may seem like more fun.

My thinking on this has changed a bit since I posted this. I decided that I actually DO care how it rides in the dry.. It would be nice if it could fill the niche that my Karate Monkey (rigid/HT 29er) has for many years; something to keep things interesting when the 6” AM bike starts to feel too easy and high-tech. I pulled a lot of parts from the Karate Monkey (including wheels) for my gravel bike build, and will pull even more to put on the Wed, so the reality may be that the Karate Monkey may be out of the picture for a while. Plus, I would like to keep my bike stable down to 4, and that means just two mtbs.
Old 12-19-18, 06:33 PM
wbrazell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been riding a Wednesday since this past April here in Northern Michigan. It is a really great fat tire bike. It is used on ice, snow, sand, and gravel. Think you will like it.
Old 01-03-19, 08:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Got the bike in!

I was a little unsure of the sizing. My height (5’-10”) indicates a Med or Large, but going off the published geo numbers, I would fit the Small with a 50-60mm stem (based on how all my previous mtbs have fit). Interestingly, the only mtb I’ve ever owned that was a small - rather than a Med or Large - was another Surly (Karate Monkey).

The shop ordered a Small and let me take it out for a week to see if the fit was right. I just had to return it clean and unharmed.

Turns out the Small with a 60mm stem and a 720 - 750mm bar fits like a glove. I tried a longer stem to see if a Med might be worth looking at, but it was too long. The only thing that gives me pause is the 10-1/2” of seat post showing, but I am within the minimum insertion.

Did a number of rides around the neighborhood over the course of a few days as I messed around with stems, spacers, bar width, and saddle position. After settling (for now) on a 750mm bar width and the stock 60mm stem, I took the bike on a real ride on some real trails. Mostly old-school stuff with lots of rocks and roots with some climbing and descents. It was 32 degrees and the trails had a lot of leaves and partially frozen mud.

This bike was a blast. I don’t remember to many specifics about the fat bikes I demoed in the past, just that they were not particularly fun. Like driving buses. This was not like that at all, even though it is pretty slow pedaling compared to me standard mtbs.

I was really amazed how this just climbed through mud and muck with leaves without slipping, and - more importantly - not tearing up the trail.

So I will continue to mull this over for a couple more days to see if there is good reason to consider a Med (with a 40mm stem I should have the same fit), but otherwise I am going to buy this.

Here is a pic. The dork disc and reflectors have to stay on until I decide to buy it. The tennis ball is covering an uncut steer tube (need to leave that uncut for now as well).

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-03-19 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-04-19, 10:12 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Got the bike in!

Old 02-23-19, 10:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Well I ended up buying the Small. At 5’-10” it seemed odd that a small would fit so well, but the more I ride it, the more I know I made the right choice in size.

I did replace the stock 700mm bar with a 750mm Answer Pro Taper CF bar I had on another bike. It is a 20mm rise which means I don’t need so many spacers under the stem. Stuck my 13 year old Gravity Dropper post on it, and took off the reflectors and dork disk. After a few cold rides with some metal pedals, I bought a set of Chromag Synth composite pedals.

I am really quite happy with the bike. The only thing I see myself upgrading are the tires. These are very heavy and - unlike the rims - not tubeless compatible. I am eying a set of 45NTH Vanhelgas to set up tubeless. Between the tires themselves and the tubeless conversion, I’ll be saving almost 3lbs of tire/tube weight, or 2.5lbs if you factor in the sealant. I am not a weight weenie, but 2-3 lbs tire weight makes a noticeable difference.

For those who care, the bike stock was around 36lbs (with pedals), and is about the same now (the weight gain of the Dropper post must have been offset by the CF Handlebar). That is 6lbs heavier than my 5.5” FS All Mt bike (Turner 5-Spot), but I really don’t care. For me, it is not about going fast, but rather going at all.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-23-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-24-19, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Compare prices of non QBP brands ? https://www.framedbikes.com/collections/fat-bikes
Old 02-24-19, 12:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Compare prices of non QBP brands ? https://www.framedbikes.com/collections/fat-bikes
I looked into those. Did not exite me very much. And for $1,200, I just was not seeing a compelling alternative to the Wednesday which I actually got to ride and loved.

In any event, the horse has long left the barn.
Old 02-25-19, 08:37 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Well I ended up buying the Small. At 5’-10” it seemed odd that a small would fit so well, but the more I ride it, the more I know I made the right choice in size.

I did replace the stock 700mm bar with a 750mm Answer Pro Taper CF bar I had on another bike. It is a 20mm rise which means I don’t need so many spacers under the stem. Stuck my 13 year old Gravity Dropper post on it, and took off the reflectors and dork disk. After a few cold rides with some metal pedals, I bought a set of Chromag Synth composite pedals.

I am really quite happy with the bike. The only thing I see myself upgrading are the tires. These are very heavy and - unlike the rims - not tubeless compatible. I am eying a set of 45NTH Vanhelgas to set up tubeless. Between the tires themselves and the tubeless conversion, I’ll be saving almost 3lbs of tire/tube weight, or 2.5lbs if you factor in the sealant. I am not a weight weenie, but 2-3 lbs tire weight makes a noticeable difference.

For those who care, the bike stock was around 36lbs (with pedals), and is about the same now (the weight gain of the Dropper post must have been offset by the CF Handlebar). That is 6lbs heavier than my 5.5” FS All Mt bike (Turner 5-Spot), but I really don’t care. For me, it is not about going fast, but rather going at all.

Nice!!

I have to second the tires comment - Nates are heavy and too much tread for nearly all riding conditions. I've been riding Dillingers for winter and Fat B Nimble for summer.
Old 02-26-19, 12:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Fat-bike neophyte here: do you folks have any complaints about the Wednesday model? My cabin fever is mounting, and the wife has not only given me permission to buy a fat-bike, but wants me to. So now I'm weighing alternatives.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-26-19, 08:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My cabin fever is mounting, and the wife has not only given me permission to buy a fat-bike, but wants me to.
Ha! That’s the way it went for me too.

I get grumpy when I can’t get outside and exersize for long periods of time, and these winters in Upstate NY were killing me since we moved up here a few years ago. I think I was starting to drive my wife crazy this winter, because when I got the idea to get a fat bike, she was all for it. She calls it my “Clown Bike”.
Old 01-25-23, 01:16 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but, Kapusta, I'd like to know the specific measurements you used to decide small was a good fit for you. I'm also about 5'10" & looking into a Surly Wednesday, but I figured medium would probably be the best bet (or would have sized up to a large rather than down to a small). I've been riding a 19.5" '84 Stumpjumper Sport for summer trails & although I know it is not an apples to apples comparison, it is a good fit.
Old 01-26-23, 11:04 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by thorstein
I know this is an older thread, but, Kapusta, I'd like to know the specific measurements you used to decide small was a good fit for you. I'm also about 5'10" & looking into a Surly Wednesday, but I figured medium would probably be the best bet (or would have sized up to a large rather than down to a small). I've been riding a 19.5" '84 Stumpjumper Sport for summer trails & although I know it is not an apples to apples comparison, it is a good fit.
I'm not kapusta nor do I ride a Wednesday, but can mention that riding on snow where your boots can easily sink in from a little to a lot, take this into account for standover clearance.
I have jones bars on my bike, but take into account also how we need to stay seated and keep weight back to maintain traction, so I'm biased to an easy bike/rider fit that makes it easy and comfortable with slow riding and loose surfaces.
Old 01-27-23, 08:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I don’t go off of any particular body measurement, I just went off of the Reach/stack measurements of the frame. i know around what “effective” stack and reach I need (as measured from the top headset spacer rather than the top of the headtube). I used online stack/reach calculators to work out the frame size that would give me what I wanted. I knew what worked for me for other hard-tails or rigid mtbs with similarly “sorta old school” (mid 2000s - mid 2010s)” geometry like the Wed has.

I will say that my sizing is unusual for someone my height, and even more unusual for someone with my body proportions (short legs relative to height). I need a much shorter frame reach (on road bikes and certain old school geo frames) than anyone I’ve ever known of my height. FWIW, standover plays zero role in my sizing decisions, and has nothing to do with why I chose a small.

There is a massively long Wednesday thread in the Surly forum over on MTBR dot com. You can get get an idea of sizing there. But I seriously doubt many (if any) other people our height would go for a small.

Honestly, unless you have some really weird body proportions, if this is your first 20th century MTB, I would just go with Surly’s rec, or the feedback you see on that MTBR thread.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 01-27-23, 01:27 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Honestly, unless you have some really weird body proportions, if this is your first 20th century MTB, I would just go with Surly’s rec, or the feedback you see on that MTBR thread.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Thanks for the response! Seems like the medium will be my best bet. Now the challenge is finding one in stock (used would be great too) in the Twin Cities. Doesn't seem like people sell them once they have 'em!
Old 01-27-23, 04:57 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Thanks for the response! Seems like the medium will be my best bet. Now the challenge is finding one in stock (used would be great too) in the Twin Cities. Doesn't seem like people sell them once they have 'em!
Sure, no problem.

I should add that since I started this thread and bought the bike a few years ago, the price for a Wednesday has gone up and the part spec gone down a little.

The NX drivetrain has been solid for me. The new ones are SX… that’s kinda questionable IMO.
Old 01-27-23, 05:06 PM
thorstein

Sure, no problem.

I should add that since I started this thread and bought the bike a few years ago, the price for a Wednesday has gone up and the part spec gone down a little.

The NX drivetrain has been solid for me. The new ones are SX… that’s kinda questionable IMO.
That's too bad. The Wednesday is really the only bike I've seen that's steel & in that price range. Aluminum & carbon don't really appeal much to me.
Old 01-27-23, 05:46 PM
djb

That's too bad. The Wednesday is really the only bike I've seen that's steel & in that price range. Aluminum & carbon don't really appeal much to me.
I'm the same height as you and a friend of mine has a medium ice cream truck, which fits me well.
Is the lack of appeal for alum due to harshness? If so, the fat tires imo really take away this factor.
The Minnesota brand "Framed" has some good models, I got one for my wife last winter, good bike.
Look into them if you ever change your mind on aluminium.
I get the steel thing, I've had a Troll for years and it's a great touring bike, I've spent months and months on that bike touring. I just find riding on 4, 4.5 inch tires to make such a difference to ride quality.
Anyway, just an opinion.
Old 01-27-23, 06:13 PM
thorstein

Originally Posted by djb
I'm the same height as you and a friend of mine has a medium ice cream truck, which fits me well.
Is the lack of appeal for alum due to harshness? If so, the fat tires imo really take away this factor.
The Minnesota brand "Framed" has some good models, I got one for my wife last winter, good bike.
Look into them if you ever change your mind on aluminium.
I get the steel thing, I've had a Troll for years and it's a great touring bike, I've spent months and months on that bike touring. I just find riding on 4, 4.5 inch tires to make such a difference to ride quality.
Anyway, just an opinion.
Thanks for the suggestion, I had looked at the Framed MN, but really it comes more down to aesthetics. The Framed also seems to be more limited as far as upgrades & especially bottle bosses, etc.

I also ruled out the ICT due to the increased q-factor which may or may not be an issue for me. I also don't need room for the larger tires.
Old 01-27-23, 06:26 PM
djb

Like I said, as a troll owner, I get the fork bosses and all that, lots of versatility for doing different packing etc.
And yes I agree on the wider tires a la ICT, it does ride more tractor like, and do see a 80mm rim as being more suited to a more fun riding bike.
As you say, not many used ones out there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.