Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mercier Kilo tt pro...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Mercier Kilo tt pro...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-13, 05:49 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
You know it literally takes years to break in a Brooks saddle, right?
If I do get one for this spring I think i'm going to go with the pre-aged b17. Supposed to be pre broken in or something?
Old 12-20-13, 06:05 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLight
I have a Brooks B17 narrow on one of my vintage bikes, I like it for that bike alone, only problem I have is that the leather is super slick to sit on and you slide all over the place on it really easy.
That was the other problem I had with it.
Old 12-20-13, 06:09 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Just wear suede pants. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-21-13, 05:53 AM
Lycosa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know it literally takes years to break in a Brooks saddle, right?
I for one, did not. Everyone talks about how it's broken in after 100-150 miles. I figured I'd have it broken in after a week. People make it sound like it becomes a comfortable catcher's mitt for their ass.

You did not mention Trek. They have the Earl with an MSRP of $530. I own two Treks. I like them.
First I've heard of that bike. I did check it out online though. It looks like pretty standard fare. In fact, looking over the details, it seems it might have less going for it than a "State Bicycle". State Bicycle Co. has CroMo frame and forks whereas the Trek Earl has Hi Ten Steel forks. Everything about those 2 bikes seems rather similar: Headset, Generic Wheelset, 3 Piece Alloy Crankset, etc. It costs more than the State bike and weighs in at a hefty 27.5 pounds. I'm guessing Trek wants to cash in on the 'fixie' craze.. but I think all you're really getting is the pedigree for the money. Maybe someone has more experience with them and can vouch that it's a better bike... the specifications don't really stand out though. And honestly... a beer bottle opener welded on the frame? Really? That's a selling point?
Old 12-21-13, 06:08 AM
SpeedofLight

Bikes: They are many.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally am not willing to pay 500 bucks for a bike doesn't at least have a sealed hub wheelset, only the high end State bicycles come with those.
Old 12-21-13, 10:28 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I personally am not willing to pay 500 bucks for a bike doesn't at least have a sealed hub wheelset, only the high end State bicycles come with those.
And the Kilo TT Pro (which is what this thread is about).

Also, the Dawes SST-AL and SE Premium Brew. I'm sure there are others. "High end" State bicycle is an oxymoron.
Old 12-21-13, 02:26 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If you properly maintain and adjust unsealed bearings can't they out perform sealed ones or is it just to much work?
Old 12-21-13, 02:50 PM
SpeedofLight

Bikes: They are many.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And the Kilo TT Pro (which is what this thread is about).

Also, the Dawes SST-AL and SE Premium Brew. I'm sure there are others. "High end" State bicycle is an oxymoron.
By high end I meant the nicest model they have available, someone had mentioned something about that brand a few posts back.
As far as hub bearing type, if i'm gonna spend the money, the sealed precision bearing hubs are a better quality buy, usually by the time those are wore out you will have gone through a couple sets of hoops.

Last edited by SpeedofLight; 12-21-13 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-23-13, 07:01 PM
Lycosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys for all the help. I decided to go with the Kilo WT and really think that's the best buy for my money all around.

Just a bit more advice if you could spare the time....

Anyone know which Park tools I'll need to pull the bottom bracket? Any special tools I might need for complete disassembly? I have a couple tools from Park I've already bought, but it doesn't look like those tools will fit the BB on the Mercier. I'm kind of a perfectionist (read: overly anal) when it comes to maintaining my bikes.
Old 12-23-13, 07:31 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Lycosa
Anyone know which Park tools I'll need to pull the bottom bracket? Any special tools I might need for complete disassembly? I have a couple tools from Park I've already bought, but it doesn't look like those tools will fit the BB on the Mercier. I'm kind of a perfectionist (read: overly anal) when it comes to maintaining my bikes.
You do not need to remove the bottom bracket unless you have to replace it. It is a sealed cartridge design that does not require any adjustment or maintenance. The only thing you might have to do is tighten the crank arm bolts.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-23-13, 07:44 PM
Lycosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You do not need to remove the bottom bracket unless you have to replace it. It is a sealed cartridge design that does not require any adjustment or maintenance. The only thing you might have to do is tighten the crank arm bolts.
Yeah, I realize that. I'm just thinking ahead. If I decided to upgrade the BB with something else, I'd like to know that I already have the proper tool in the shed for it. Last time I needed to get a BB tool, I had to take the bike up to my LBS to have them verify which tool was the correct tool for the bike I had. Unfortunately, I live quite a distance from a bike store so being able to know any bike specific tool I'd need ahead of time would save me a bit of trouble later down the road. Besides, I love wrenching on a bike.
Old 12-23-13, 07:49 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Park Tool BBT-2 will work.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 12-23-13, 08:14 PM
Lycosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Park Tool BBT-2 will work.
Thanks a lot. You've been a lot of help on this thread and I really do appreciate it.
Old 02-28-19, 01:40 PM
danco

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding a Mercier Kilo TT Pro on the Withlacoochie

Originally Posted by Lycosa
I'll likely be riding between 10-20 miles on less than ideal roads.. mainly back roads that aren't fixed or repaved that often. I'm not much for trail-riding so I don't need to be equipped for that. Occasionally, I do centuries down to south Florida from central Florida. Hills are pretty scarce here and on that century, 50 miles is down the Withlacoochie bike trail which is about as nice as it gets. I mainly want the bike for city cruising, running with a back pack to local stores, that kind of thing. I'm not into racing, more like casual touring. I just want to try it on a fg/ss bike. Sounds like fun and people sure remark about how much fun they're having... figured it would be worth the money to give it a shot.
I have a 2013 model and it will do all you ask.
I am in Ocala, FL and it is great on the paved trails around here (Withlacoochie and Marjorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Trail /Santos)
It is lighter and quicker than I expected as a first time "Fixie" rider, and it climbs the gentle hills around here with unexpected ease.
I am a more senior rider and just had a twenty-three mile ride with friends within the OTOW (On Top of the World) community.
Highly recommended.
-Dan
Old 02-28-19, 01:47 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anddddddd we’re back in 2013 folks....