Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Spin Doctors: the FSIR/Solorock Spin thread

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Spin Doctors: the FSIR/Solorock Spin thread

Old 09-01-18, 07:43 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Fyi, my two Spin 3.0 have both come without the front wheel magnetix part. Strange. Also, in both Spin 3.0 the inner metal grove sleve in the upper seat tube is too thick, meaning that moving the seatpost up and down encounters quite a bit of resistance. I did not encounter these issues on the Spin 5.0. My solution? Remove said piece altogether.

Something I wish the FSIRs came with out of the box is plastic seat tube sleeves. This part comes standard in the framesets I purchased recently.

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
This is the seat tube insert that provides the groove along which the seat post slides. Remove it, file it down, and/or lube it if it scratches the seat post.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-01-18 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 07:53 PM
foldielocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Came onto the scene a bit late

Tired of wishing that I had a bike with me at all times I started looking up folding bikes and saw that most bikes had the same design: a hinge on the top tube that has had problems in the past with welds shearing off.

So when my feverish searching led me to the FSIR/Solorock Spin design my eyes lit up - it looks like a pretty failsafe solution to the problem! Alas this bike, sold in the US by Solorock, is no longer available and FSIR won't ship overseas.

Fingers crossed for a Craigslist find, but until then it has helped me find a Novara Flyby so I'm officially part of the club!

Anyone wanna sell theirs?

Last edited by foldielocks; 03-02-19 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 12:47 AM
Leon S. Kennedy

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased the solorock spin 5.0 last November. I love the bike as it feels so much more responsive/faster than the Dahon I had previously (which cracked at the folding hinge). I like not having the frame itself fold. It's also about 5 lbs lighter than the Dahon.
Old 03-03-19, 02:22 AM
BCATC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by foldielocks
Tired of wishing that I had a bike with me at all times I started looking up folding bikes and saw that most bikes had the same design: a hinge on the top tube that has had problems in the past with welds shearing off.

So when my feverish searching led me to the FSIR/Solorock Spin design my eyes lit up - it looks like a pretty failsafe solution to the problem! Alas this bike, sold in the US by Solorock, is no longer available and FSIR won't ship overseas.

Fingers crossed for a Craigslist find, but until then it has helped me find a Novara Flyby so I'm officially part of the club!

Anyone wanna sell theirs?
If you really wanted one, you can do what I did and purchase the frame directly from China using Taobao. It costed about $85 not including shipping. It has internal cable routing but has no front luggage truss like the Solorock frame. More than likely you're going to wait a very long time for one to show up used in the US, can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of theirs.
Old 03-05-19, 05:04 PM
foldielocks

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCATC
If you really wanted one, you can do what I did and purchase the frame directly from China using Taobao. It costed about $85 not including shipping. It has internal cable routing but has no front luggage truss like the Solorock frame. More than likely you're going to wait a very long time for one to show up used in the US, can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of theirs.
Thanks for the Taobao suggestion! Sadly they don't have the 5.0/20" version. FSIR seems to have moved its business to the Netherlands?
Old 03-05-19, 06:03 PM
BCATC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by foldielocks
Thanks for the Taobao suggestion! Sadly they don't have the 5.0/20" version. FSIR seems to have moved its business to the Netherlands?
There used to be a seller on Taobao that listed the 20" but for a price of about $700-800 USD not including shipping. They did also list what I imagine was a 20" frame but Google Translate called it something like a "car frame" for around $450USD. At this point I think they have stopped producing both the 16" and 20" frames altogether and whatever they are selling are just leftovers. When my frame arrived, the swivel mechanism was frozen and when I took it apart there was a good amount of surface rust.