Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need a bike to commute/workout with. Help me pick out one from craigslist?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-26-15, 07:32 PM
kdelaney24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm living off campus next year and will need a bike to commute with. I also like working out a lot and staying active and have always wanted to start biking. I have been searching craigslist and some bike forums for the past week and have gotten an idea of what bikes are good deals and what aren't, but still a bike novice so I'd love your guys opinions on the bikes I'm considering. I'm not in a rush, so if none of the bikes appear as a steal then I have no problem keeping an eye out in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking for a hybrid or maybe a road bike and am 6'0 with a 32-33" inseam. Budget is ~300.

Here are
the bikes I've kept an eye on:

1) Vintage Raleigh Technium Olympian FT - $225
2) Cannondale SM 400 Mountain Bike (Looks decent) - $200
3) scattante touring bike 55cm (Looks like it's in good shape) - $275
4) Schwinn World Sport Road Bike Package Deal - $150
5) Giant Escape 3 Hybrid Bike - $260
6) Trek 800 mountain bike - $120
7) REDUCED GIANT ATX 760 MOUNTAIN BIKE - $175
8) Trek Kaitai Hybrid MTN Bike (Really like the style of this one) - $275
9) Specialized * RockHopper * Excellent Condition - $180
10) Miyata Alumicross with new Touring Plus tires and Charge Saddle - $200
11) Schwinn World Sport Male - $175
12) Miyata 10 spd - Male - $180

I really appreciate any advice, thanks guys.

Last edited by kdelaney24; 07-26-15 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 08:18 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Giant hybrids are nice bikes. If you're just riding on the road, I would take a look at that one.
Old 07-26-15, 08:46 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kdelaney24
Hey guys,

I'm living off campus next year and will need a bike to commute with. I also like working out a lot and staying active and have always wanted to start biking. I have been searching craigslist and some bike forums for the past week and have gotten an idea of what bikes are good deals and what aren't, but still a bike novice so I'd love your guys opinions on the bikes I'm considering. I'm not in a rush, so if none of the bikes appear as a steal then I have no problem keeping an eye out in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking for a hybrid or maybe a road bike and am 6'0 with a 32-33" inseam. Budget is ~300.

Here are
the bikes I've kept an eye on:

1) Vintage Raleigh Technium Olympian FT - $225
2) Cannondale SM 400 Mountain Bike (Looks decent) - $200
3) scattante touring bike 55cm (Looks like it's in good shape) - $275
4) Schwinn World Sport Road Bike Package Deal - $150
5) Giant Escape 3 Hybrid Bike - $260
6) Trek 800 mountain bike - $120
7) REDUCED GIANT ATX 760 MOUNTAIN BIKE - $175
8) Trek Kaitai Hybrid MTN Bike (Really like the style of this one) - $275
9) Specialized * RockHopper * Excellent Condition - $180
10) Miyata Alumicross with new Touring Plus tires and Charge Saddle - $200
11) Schwinn World Sport Male - $175
12) Miyata 10 spd - Male - $180

I really appreciate any advice, thanks guys.
You'll want a 57-61 cm cm bike for a road bike. And about a size or two smaller for a mountain bike/hybrid for someone in your height range. Of course you'll have to do some test riding to figure out what bike fits you best and your budget.
Old 07-26-15, 09:09 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I like that Trek but there is no way that a 22.5" will fit you unfortunately. Giant Escape 3 looks good as well.
Old 07-26-15, 09:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
What are you looking for in a bike?
- Do you want fenders?...will you ride even in rain or only when it's nice?
- do you want a rear rack to hold a backpack or pan bags?
- will the commute be paved? I'd assume so and any knobby tires should be changed to slicks for comfort and ease. Factor that cost in if necessary.
-will there be hills or is the commute flat? If there are hills, you may want a triple crank to increase the gearing options and make the commute easier.
-what will your noncommute riding be? If it's errands, that triple could be great. If it's riding trails at a leisurely pace, the triple will again be OK. If you want to exercise and go fast, then mountain bike gearing would be bad as it isn't geared for speed.

The bikes you list are all possibilities, but they are all over the spectrum and are made to complete different tasks.
Old 07-26-15, 10:18 PM
kdelaney24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What are you looking for in a bike?
- Do you want fenders?...will you ride even in rain or only when it's nice?
- do you want a rear rack to hold a backpack or pan bags?
- will the commute be paved? I'd assume so and any knobby tires should be changed to slicks for comfort and ease. Factor that cost in if necessary.
-will there be hills or is the commute flat? If there are hills, you may want a triple crank to increase the gearing options and make the commute easier.
-what will your noncommute riding be? If it's errands, that triple could be great. If it's riding trails at a leisurely pace, the triple will again be OK. If you want to exercise and go fast, then mountain bike gearing would be bad as it isn't geared for speed.

The bikes you list are all possibilities, but they are all over the spectrum and are made to complete different tasks.
Hmm good point, didn't really consider a lot of the factors you mentioned.

-I would most likely be riding while raining/snowing. Would fenders be essential in those situations?
-I've considered a rear rack because it would be nice to use for a backpack/groceries, but not a main priority right now, I could always get one later.
-Commutes would be paved. Slicks would be tires that road bikes have, right?
-There won't be hills in the commute, although they're are some cool hills to ride on outside of the town which I would like to workout on. What type of gearing would be best for both of those? Is there an option that caters to both of those biking styles?
Old 07-26-15, 11:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Fenders will help keep you dry you ride in snow and on wet roads. A rear rack will help carry things.
Both fenders and a rack are easier to attach with mounting points on the seat stays and dropouts.

These can be attached to bikes without actual mom ting points, but it's a lot more difficult.

Slick tires are just smooth, so no knobby tread. You can get slicks for mountain bikes which reduces rolling resistance and makes for a more comfortable ride.

As for gearing, if you can get a bike with a road bike triple, you will have great gearing for going fast as well as gearing that makes it easier to go up hills and carrying stuff.
A road bike triple is different from a mountain bike triple. A road bike triple will have a large chain ring with 48-52 teeth, then the middle ring will have about 10 less teeth and the smallest ring will have 10 less than that.

A mountain bike triple has 42-44 teeth then 10 less and 10 less again for the smallest ring.

These descriptions are generalized, but pretty accurate.
A road bike triple will let you go faster than a mountain bike triple while still giving you gearing that's easy to climb hills.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

The giant escape 3 has good gearing for what you want to do and has attachment points for rack and fenders. It's also only $100 more if you buy new, for what it's worth.

The Scatante touring bike should have the attachment points and has what looks like a road triple.

The Miyata Alumicross is just awesome. But I am a Miyata geek. It has some pretty rare Deore bar end shifters so you shift from where the drop bar ends are. Good brakes. It's sort of a bike that mixes road with gravel riding. Attachments for fenders or for a fender in front and rack in back. A rear fender could be added still.

The specialized rock hopper should have all the mounting points. It'll have mountain bike gearing though. Great for commuting, but not great for fast riding. The bike just isn't made for that.

All the bikes I mentioned look a little overpriced, unless they were recently overhauled and in ready to ride shape. If this is going to be a daily commuter you will want it in great shape which will cost $50-150 depending on what needs to be done if you take it to a shop.
If wheels are wobbly, take money off the price since it'll cost $20 per wheel give or take to fix.
If grips are terrible that's another $10-20. If tires are in bad shape and cracked, then each will be about $20.

Just things to keep in mind. Whatever you get, you should take it to a shop to just have them look it over. Replacing rusted cables now will make riding it later easier. That sort of thing.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 07-26-15 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-27-15, 11:03 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I was going to tell you to get that Kaitai if you want to do anything on a trail, but it looks like someone already bought it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-27-15, 11:56 AM
kdelaney24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not confusing at all, thanks for all the info - exactly what I was looking for.

The Miyata did catch my eye when searching for a bike. Has good components, looks good, and now that you mention it I would still have money in my budget to take it to a bike shop and tune it up. I messaged the seller about the frame size and he said that from the center of the seat tube to center of crank is 52 cm and that the stand over height is 31". Would this be an alright fit for me? I would go and test it out but he's a decent distance away so I'd rather not drive there for nothing. Is 1-2 inches extra big factor in regards to stand over height?
Old 07-27-15, 12:22 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That Cannondale SM400 is janky. Looks like decent parts, but CDale logos and a Trek headbadge? The 1990 schwinn world sport - pass. None of the stuff in the included package is worth anything, that lock could be broken by a 12 year old. IMO, the Miyata Alumicross is probably your best, though the size is not mentioned
Old 07-27-15, 12:27 PM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I like number 10 (the cross bike). if it fits, it looks small for someone 6 foot.
Old 07-27-15, 12:29 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kdelaney24
Not confusing at all, thanks for all the info - exactly what I was looking for.

The Miyata did catch my eye when searching for a bike. Has good components, looks good, and now that you mention it I would still have money in my budget to take it to a bike shop and tune it up. I messaged the seller about the frame size and he said that from the center of the seat tube to center of crank is 52 cm and that the stand over height is 31". Would this be an alright fit for me? I would go and test it out but he's a decent distance away so I'd rather not drive there for nothing. Is 1-2 inches extra big factor in regards to stand over height?
Sounds awfully small. I tried riding a 52 cm frame (I am 5'11) and it worked with modifications for a year, then I sold it and got something with a more appropriate frame size.
Old 07-27-15, 12:39 PM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I had a trek 800 like that. Not a bad bike for the intended purpose. I think mine was a '97, new it was $200-225 (I think), I think the one for sale is older. I sold it 4 or 5 years ago for $125. You could probably get it for $80-$100.

but it is probably too big. For comparison I am 5'10". I think this was a 19 inch.

Old 07-27-15, 02:05 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
IMO, the Miyata Alumicross is probably your best, though the size is not mentioned
I like number 10 (Miyata Amunicross) as well. Also number 1 (Raleigh Technium) looked ok assuming you just wanted a decent road bike. However, having said that the Miyata looks like its too small from the picture. So for a decent road bike, only #1 seems to be a close fit. If 32-33'' inseam means your pant length, then the OP has a similar inseam to mine. If he wants a racy position, then 56cm bike. If he wants a more relaxed (or "french fit") then maybe 57 or 58cm with short top tube might be ok?
Old 07-27-15, 02:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
That Cannondale SM400 is janky. Looks like decent parts, but CDale logos and a Trek headbadge?
No, it's the 1990-96 Cannondale headbadge.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cannondalelogo1990.jpg (31.8 KB, 130 views)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-27-15, 06:39 PM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
No, it's the 1990-96 Cannondale headbadge.

Oh you are so right! I think I absorbed too much sun over the weekend :-/
Old 07-27-15, 10:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

That's a small frame for someone 6'. Not saying it'll be too small as a lot depends on leg length arm length etc and everyone is different.
But that's a small frame.

You would most likely need to have the stem and seatpost up a good bit. The riser stem that's on it now will help.

Total guess, but based on your height, 55cm-58cm center to center is most likely the ideal size range.
Old 03-10-19, 12:12 PM
BikeTall

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Can’t go wrong with the Giant Escape. I’ve been riding one as a daily commuter here in NYC for the last 6 yrs and love it.
Old 03-10-19, 02:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
You'd have to transport me to the place the craig's list bike is, to inspect it , with you, for condition,

and I hate flying.. any more..
Old 03-13-19, 12:14 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeTall
Can’t go wrong with the Giant Escape. I’ve been riding one as a daily commuter here in NYC for the last 6 yrs and love it.
Really strange, most of those posts have expired. Hmmmm....