Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Which Bike? Opinions Please.

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 05-11-18, 07:48 AM
rhartman911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure if this belongs in this Forum:
The wife picked up a few bikes from Walmart for her and the grandkids which is fine but I'm a little more picky
I think I have it narrowed down to three so which one: Mostly used for paved trail, Easy off road, Dirt logging road . Will be in the Lake Tahoe area so might have a few hills

My top pics
Diamondback Trace 3 for $699
Motobecane Omni Strada Trail for $699
Diamondback Haanjenn ( Not sure which model )
Old 05-11-18, 05:04 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Choose the one that you like the way it rides for your use, that is what counts, not what I like. Why would you want to get stuck with a bike that I like??
Old 05-19-18, 02:12 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you like the Diamondback Trace and there is an REI store near you, it is on sale for $600 with free shipping and assembly. It weighs right around 29 pounds so that's not bad. I don't like the idea of suspension forks on entry level bikes but at least this one has a lockout so you can disable the shock for ordinary riding where it is not needed. The components are decent entry level Shimano (drive train) and SRAM (brakes). Comes in 4 sizes so be sure to know which size fits you.

The Motobecane is a little more exotic with a carbon fork. It's a long way from the days when Motobecane was a French bike company and I rode their top-of-the-line Motobecane Le Champion. Now they are made by Kinesis in either Taiwan or mainland China and only sold by Bikesdirect so you get them without assembly. If you are good at assembling and adjusting the parts on a bike, that's not a bad thing.

The third bike is also sold by REI but appears to be listed as a women's bike versus the other two which are unisex. Don't know if this makes a difference for you but the REI price is $467 on sale through 5/28. It's even lighter at 23.5 lbs average weight. Only one size frame listed at REI. That's a real downer as it assumes that all of us are of average size and that is certainly not true.
Old 05-20-18, 07:27 PM
rhartman911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome reply Thank you
Old 05-26-18, 04:41 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
Choose the one that you like the way it rides for your use, that is what counts, not what I like. Why would you want to get stuck with a bike that I like??
Cause maybe he would like it too.