Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What shoes for flat pedals?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 09-15-18, 11:14 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

When I came over from road bikes to mountain, I assumed to be efficient I had to ride clipless. I'm learning that lots of accomplished mountain bikers ride flats (and that at my skill level I don't always feel comfortable clipped in). What type of shoe is best for flats? I'm just using a pair of Merrell low cut hikers right now.
Old 09-16-18, 05:21 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Anything with a relatively flat sole that is fairly stiff. Good pedals are as important as good shoes.

There are several very good MTB dedicated shoes. Most people will recommend 5-10s, which are good, maybe the best, but pricey. I personally ride with Sketcher Vigor 2.0s. They have a fairly flat sole, but still enough tread to be good for walking and hiking. soft rubber but with hard stiff rubber at the arch, and gel insole. They work great for me, on both my bikes. I run Shimano Saint pedals on one and Raceface Chesters on the other. And best thing, I get them cheap from Amazon. I usually buy them two or three pair at a time.
Old 09-16-18, 06:28 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hig4s
Anything with a relatively flat sole that is fairly stiff. Good pedals are as important as good shoes.
^^^ This. FWIW, I ride 5-10s. A friend rocks a pair of Vans.
Old 09-16-18, 07:02 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I'm a Giro fan and they have a lot of great shoe options for riding flats.
Old 09-17-18, 09:45 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Here's a link to a specific pair of the five ten's people are talking about:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/FT07.h...07_color=Black

It uses a special grippy rubber that is very strong at gripping metal pins on pedals. So they work the best with flat pedals with metal pins. I use DMR Vaults, they're expensive at a little above $100 but their large slightly curved platform is very comfortable. RaceFace chesters are also popular are cheaper though I haven't used them myself.
Old 09-18-18, 04:46 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I would wear trail running shoes.
Old 09-18-18, 05:29 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
I’m giving the five ten Freeriders a try.
About $85ish if the adidas website gives you 20% off.
I’ve tried Converse Cons. TOMS. New Balance skate shoes.
main problem I am expecting 5 10 to fix with the other brands listed is how the wrapped rubber around the sole peels away. 5 10 is a molded bottom that wraps up, then stitched.
A bit heavy and I can’t feel the pedal as well. But so far I like them.
- additional comments:
- the soles are really grippy. Once your foot is on the pedal, you can't really rotate it. You gotta kinda lift your foot a bit. Could be good on the trails.
- the sole is nice and stiff. Not as stiff as a plastic MTB sole, but much stiffer than my TOMS or Converse.
- the upper is a nice heavy material. I am expecting them to last a good long while.
Write up here on the approach shoes from 5-10: https://www.bikepacking.com/gear/five...ennies-review/

Action shot

Last edited by mrv; 09-18-18 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 06:18 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I'm just using an old pair of Merril Trail shoes as well, but mine have an elasticized top portion that keeps out rocks, etc. I have some Pearl Izumi bike shoes that would work equally as well, but use them on my road bike SPD...stiffer sole.
Old 09-18-18, 06:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I’ve used regular trail shoes and running shoes with pinned pedals. Works fine for the road and around town, but IMO does not quite cut it for MTB use. I’ve tried dedicated flat pedal shoes with the sticky soles (not 5-10s, but similar) and they seemed to work a lot better. The sole was stiffer and the grip was like glue. If I were to go with flats for MTB regularly (I am mainly a clipless guy on the trail), this is what I would get.

I will probably get a pair of 5-10s at some point, but due to orthopedic lifts needed, it gets expensive.
Old 09-20-18, 08:54 AM
JonnyVain

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Five tens are the #1 choice. Personally i don't like a solid shoe, i want to feel the pedals. I wear Newbalance Ninimus 20 crosstrainers. I also removed the spikes and put on grip tape.
Old 09-20-18, 08:58 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyVain
Five tens are the #1 choice. Personally i don't like a solid shoe, i want to feel the pedals.
I do as well. I tried Five Ten Impacts once, and there was no feel to them. The Freerider model has been ok though, and it's easy enough to find that I've just sort of stayed with it.
Old 09-20-18, 11:31 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Seriously people, try a pair of Sketchers Vigor 2.0 for about $40 Amazon, even if you don't like them on the bike they are great walking, hiking, and everyday kick around shoes.
Old 10-18-18, 12:06 PM
kimguroo

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I like five ten too. Paid less than $30 a few years ago for clearance shoes deal.
Old 10-18-18, 12:27 PM
MobiBike

Bikes: 90's Norco Nitro, 90's Softride traveler, 90's Jamis Dakota, 84 Schwinn High Sierra,

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved on to

I used to have Five Tens, and then I went on to the Bontrager Flatline; and I guess I have to say that the Flatline is a lot stiffer. They are a lot more solid AND just as grippy, but for me it was a better switch to the Flatline .. ... away from the Five Ten. Not that the Five Ten was a bad shoe! it was a good shoe! I just feel a lot more confident in the Flatline from Bontrager. And wow! Bontrager gave me a 30 day warranty for fit
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black.

Truth is though... after umpteen years using cleats; I decided to go back to cleats just about a month ago. But if I were to go back to flat I would use and highly recommend that FLATLINE!!!

Last edited by MobiBike; 11-04-18 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10-18-18, 05:14 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by MobiBike
I used to have 5 tens and then I went on to the Bontrager Flatline and I guess I have to say that the flat line is a lot stiffer there's a lot more solid just as grippy but for me was a better switch to the flat line away from the 5:10 not that the 5:10 was a bad shoe it was a good shoe I feel a lot more confident in the Flatline from Bontrager and wow it gave me a 30 day warranty for fit
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black.

truth is though after umpteen years using cleats I decided to go back to cleats just about a month ago. But if I were to go back to flat I would use and highly recommend that Flatline
Holy no punctuations, Batman!
Old 10-18-18, 05:23 PM
MobiBike

Bikes: 90's Norco Nitro, 90's Softride traveler, 90's Jamis Dakota, 84 Schwinn High Sierra,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2cam16
and worse misspelled words improper,
capitalization, and the list goes on. And not enough line breaks either. It's the auto dictation on my phone, and I don't have a computer and just learning how to really mess up responses using my phone. Thank you for the rebuke.! I will try to do better next time knowing I've got to an audience that will help correct me if I blow it again.
Old 10-20-18, 06:30 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
From racing bmx, dirt jumping and trail riding, I’ve always worn skate shoes. Perfect blend of feel, grip and support.
Old 10-20-18, 07:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by MobiBike
and worse misspelled words improper,
capitalization, and the list goes on. And not enough line breaks either. It's the auto dictation on my phone, and I don't have a computer and just learning how to really mess up responses using my phone. Thank you for the rebuke.! I will try to do better next time knowing I've got to an audience that will help correct me if I blow it again.
With most voice dictations, if you say “period” or “comma” it will insert a period or comma.

Not trying to razz you over nitpicky stuff (I am really bad about miss-spelling and typos myself), it’s just that without periods many posts are unintelligable without a lot of extra effort and guesswork on the part of the reader, and the reality is that a lot of people won’t bother even trying.

I made one pass through your post, realized it was going to take a buch of extra time and guesswork to understand, and then just moved on.

Old 10-26-18, 03:53 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hig4s
Seriously people, try a pair of Sketchers Vigor 2.0 for about $40 Amazon, even if you don't like them on the bike they are great walking, hiking, and everyday kick around shoes.
Kudos to Hig4s for his recommendation, I purchased a pair of the Sketchers Vigor 2.0 and they're everything he said and very reasonably priced!
Old 10-28-18, 09:28 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
another vote for 5 10

I have the MacKaskill version

I cannot ride like Danny

They are heavy but have served me well
Old 10-29-18, 10:40 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Five Ten's are the best:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...shoe/FT07.html

I started with Chrome Kursk's but was a bit annoyed that sometimes my foot would not be totally secure on the pedal and slip around a little bit sometimes. Nothing "serious" just kind of annoying. I read about and bought Five Ten's and that stopped happening, they use a special kind of rubber that is much grippier on metal pins and my foot feels completely secure on the pedal unless I lift it off. It grips so much I have to lift my foot off the pedal to reposition it, I've been considering removing some of the pins on the metal so it's not quite so grippy.

Five Ten's seem to be what all the mountain bike racers are riding with as well.
Old 11-02-18, 09:54 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
I would wear trail running shoes.
This is what works best for me on my "performance hybrid"/"flat bar" road bike. I had previously worn Five Ten Freeriders, purchased in March of 2013, but found them somewhat too heavy due to my problematical right leg and hamstring (long story).

So I too have found trail running shoes to work well with my grip pin pedals (Wellgo B184). Just recently I purchased, and have been using, Asics Gel-Scram 4 shoes and they are fantastic. Superb grip that even allows for pulling back/up on the pedals. Best I've had that work well for me.

Safe riding all!
Best regards
Old 11-04-18, 07:48 PM
MobiBike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Thanks again for your help. I went back and fixed a few of the punctuation points , but probably not perfectly. Hopefully at this point it will at least not be such an eyesore!

I did get to read the other great comments however so it was worth the time to read and fix.
Old 11-06-18, 07:31 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I like my stiff soled walking shoes. when I expect very cold weather, I use the larger pair with room for sock liner & hand warmers taped between socks. when I expect water/mud I use the waterproof pair. when I expect both cold & water I use my extra large winter boots
Old 11-14-18, 10:09 PM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love the pair of Shimano GR7’s I bought recently. Fairly normal looking with no crazy logos. They also fit relatively wide feet. The collar keeps dirt out and they have an elastic band on the tongue to hold your laces. No more tangling them in the crank!

john

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.