Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What’s your “dumbest” bike repair mistake?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What’s your “dumbest” bike repair mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 06:16 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Bent a crankset spider a while back, when I tried to remove a bottom bracket cup from the NDS with the crankset still bolted on.

Threaded chains through frames wrong many times. Put headset bearing cages in upside-down and crushed them over and over again.
Old 03-01-19, 05:05 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

Lol ... now that is funny!

I have a recent one. I treated myself to some DA wheels, and of course, put the cassette on myself. I went for a ride and man ... the shifting was terrible ... all over the place.

Got back and noticed that I had left out one of the plastic spacers.

Old 03-01-19, 09:32 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
New Cannondale frame.

I had a Shwinn Traveler for a couple of years and since I couldn't afford a Cannondale and the factory was nearby I bought a newly painted frame for less than half the price of a complete bike. I figured I'd just move all my components over to the new frame.
The stem mounted shifters moved to the dt bosses and the stem for the handlebar fit. I won't get into all the troubles I faced but the major surprise was that 27" wheels would not fit a tight racing frame. The front tire was very nearly self cleaning as it barely cleared the fork crown but the rear tire was solidly jammed against the brake cross member. I learned a lot about bike mechanics in the following weeks including how to build wheels using the brake pads as guides to truing and dishing. I probably committed every error you will mention in the entire thread but I did become a knowledgeable and experience mechanic in a very short time.😂😂
Old 03-01-19, 10:25 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
I am very new to wrenching on bikes and have already learnt a few lessons the hard way including putting the crank arms back on with cotters with the bike pside down. Of course i put them on the wrong sides.Duh
Old 03-02-19, 07:04 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I try not to devote too much effort to ranking my mistakes. It's bad for my mental health.

I'm thinking my dumbest mistake has to have been cutting a fork steer tube too short. I don't remember what I overlooked when I set up the trial fit, but I remember being unhappy with myself over the dumb error.
Old 03-02-19, 12:15 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Auto related: rented a diesel in Cornwall, went to fill it up and saw one pump had green plastic on the nozzle that fits into fuel tank, not til
I finished filling did I notice the Brits use green to denote gasoline where the US uses green to denote diesel. Cost about $250 to have
the tank pumped out. Would have been double if I had cranked it up.

Bike: stripping and rattle can painting my PX10.

Tandem: friend on tandem dropped timing chain, pushed the rivet all the way out accidentally and while laying prone on alley way
attempting to put rivet in, we were interrupted by a paramedic unit and police concerned over "heart attack" as the 8 of us
gathered around the cyclist working on the chain on the ground. We were next to a high school. FD did have a better tool set enabling repair of rivet.
Old 03-03-19, 11:11 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Where's a paramedic unit when you REALLY need one?

Most recent screw-up was tightening down the lockring on a Shimano cassette, with the small cog not sitting in the right spot of the freehub. Crooked cog broke a piece off the threaded part of my freehub, trashing it.
Old 03-04-19, 11:20 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Although not exactly a repair, when I got my first road bike, a Felt, I made a point of keeping it clean. About once a week I sprayed the chain, rings and cassette with Finish Line degreaser. Too much all over the cassette ended up destroying the rear bearings. Using a brush and staying careful now.
Old 03-06-19, 11:10 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In the 80's in college, my only transport was my father's bike from the 50's. Single speed, fixed wheel, no brakes, tubular tires. I changed the rear cog and rode to my baseball game. At the bottom of a long downhill, I started back-pedaling to slow down and spun the gear loose, throwing the chain at 30mph. I was able to pull my baseball glove from behind the saddle and grab the front tire with it. (Much better idea than sliding off the saddle to sit on the rear.) Never forgot the lock ring again.
Old 03-06-19, 12:56 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I ride vintage road bikes and I think my worst was over tightening the bottom bracket. I thought there should be no play at all. Boy, was I wrong I really tore up the bearing surfaces and had to regrind them ,luckily I was able to save the Campy BB. The bearings were still good and I had enough adjustment left to take up what I had to grind off to regain the surface finish on the spindle. Live AND learn. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 03-07-19, 06:38 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
At least that you’re willing to admit to!!!!

My latest of many....

I put a new larger cassette and longer chain on my new road disc bike. It shifted fine but was a little noisy on the stand. When I rode it the drivetrain was really a lot noisier than normal but it shifted fine in all gears. I did notice the crank didn’t spin as easily going backwards. I did several rides with it and the longest was 80 miles. I’m thinking I just got a noisy chain.

I finally put it back on the stand and immediately spot the issue. I had threaded the chain over (instead of under) the short metal bar between the plates on RD between the jockey and guide pulleys. Felt like an idiot!!

At least I haven’t succumbed to duct tape......yet!

Hard to see but the chain should have come off the bottom of the upper wheel in the photo. It’s also all cleaned up now as well......

Made that mistake just last week! Similarly, I went for a ride after changing the chain and it was noisier than usual ... mis-diagnosed at first and was playing around with the front derailleur adjustment. Finally, set up my other bike side-by-side to the faulty bike and notices the chain was threaded over that little tab. Fortunately, I installed a KMC chain so, with the quick link, it was easier to fix.
Old 03-07-19, 07:14 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Made that mistake just last week! Similarly, I went for a ride after changing the chain and it was noisier than usual ... mis-diagnosed at first and was playing around with the front derailleur adjustment. Finally, set up my other bike side-by-side to the faulty bike and notices the chain was threaded over that little tab. Fortunately, I installed a KMC chain so, with the quick link, it was easier to fix.
It is interesting how noise travels. I thought it was a FD issue as well. KMC chain with quick link here as well. I should have known as it just didn’t spin backwards as smoothly as normal.
Old 03-07-19, 07:17 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

KMC is really taking over the world of bicycle chains these days, my entire fleet runs them.

"All your chain belong to us."
Old 03-07-19, 08:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
was pretty embarrassed to mount directional tires going the wrong way. I've since drawn giant arrows with wax markers on those tires & also highlighted the manufacturer's embossed markings
Old 03-10-19, 08:38 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
was pretty embarrassed to mount directional tires going the wrong way. I've since drawn giant arrows with wax markers on those tires & also highlighted the manufacturer's embossed markings
That's not too bad unless it's a tubular. One time, I glued on a tubular without taking note that it was a directional tire. Luckily, I came out the winner on the 50/50 chance.
Oh, and about routing the chain through the derailleur incorrectly? There are two types of mechanics, those who will admit to having made this error, and liars.
Old 03-11-19, 01:11 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I drilled and tapped two 5 rmm nice holes for a water bottle holder on an aluminum Diamondback mountain bike. It's not earthshaking, but of the frame stresses out and cracks, it will be. I've set the bike aside til I can file out the threads and put in Riv-nuts which I understand will prevent any possibe damage.

A dumb mistake was forgetting to pull thr 14mm bolt inside the crank handle when using the handy dandy crank puller., Everyone does that maybe once and says opps, but only we really dumbos go beyond that and stirp the threads.

Old 03-12-19, 05:26 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

Even I wouldn't make that mistake: You put the front quick release lever on the drive side!
Brent
Old 03-13-19, 04:42 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Even I wouldn't make that mistake: You put the front quick release lever on the drive side!
Brent
Old 03-13-19, 04:47 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
I drilled and tapped two 5 rmm nice holes for a water bottle holder on an aluminum Diamondback mountain bike. It's not earthshaking, but of the frame stresses out and cracks, it will be. I've set the bike aside til I can file out the threads and put in Riv-nuts which I understand will prevent any possibe damage.

Your frame material is nowhere near thick enough to get proper thread engagement. I did drill and tap my Schwinn Twinn tandem for bottle cages, but the tubing is thick enough to get 3 complete ,
.8mm threads, so it's all good.
For other applications such as yours, I use Riv-nuts.
Old 03-13-19, 08:47 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Brent
Bike tracks better in reverse that way.
Old 03-13-19, 05:59 PM
nemo57

Bikes: early '60s Hillman single speed; 1976 Hillman 14 speed; 2017 Gios Gress; 1976 Cecil Walker track bike; Cannondale Topstone Carbon Lefty

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai80
Was removing a Shimano 600 non-drive-side crank arm from my Nishiki Tri-A so I could service the bottom bracket. Removed the crank bolt, threaded in the crank remover tool, put a wrench on it, gave it a good pull... and nothing, wow that old crank was really on tight. So I gave it a really, really good pull (because if a little force is good, then a lot of force must be better),... hey I think it's moving now... and stripped out all the threads in the crank arm. Turns out there was a washer still inside that was blocking the crank tool from pushing on the tip of the spindle.
I did that yesterday. Tip of the crank tool wider than the 24mm square hole in my '70s Sugino 75 track cranks. I'm taking it to a man tomorrow.
Old 03-15-19, 03:25 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
If I could remember all the dumb things I've done - no, if I could remember 1% of all the dumb things I've done with bike mechanics it would be LBS every time. And I've caught senior mechanics and industry legends at the LBS doing some pretty dumb stuff too. Should make us all quit. A bike doesn't have huge margins of error and every part of it is in some sense a safety system. Then you get on the bike and ride and get a good soaking in endorphins and forget your troubles and you are ready to do it all over again. Including the stupid mistakes.
Old 03-15-19, 04:45 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
If it wasn't for our mistakes, how would we learn anything? I've done a few of these, but I'm amazed OP made it 80 miles. All I can say is if you don't want a black eye, push, don't pull.
Old 03-22-19, 03:49 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Guess this could be an "oversight" instead of a mistake. Anyway-the front der. on my road bike starting shifting poorly. Now, I've replaced nearly every part on my mtn.bike, and made all adjustments myself, and it's perfect. But that road bike der.had me baffled! It was the first time in 20+ years that I'd taken a bike to a shop. Turns out the front der. wasn't exactly parallel to the cogs! When the mechanic told me what I missed, I couldn't believe the one thing I had failed to check was the problem. And I knew this, but had neglected to check it! Rookie error, and I know better, guess I was in too much of a hurry.
Old 03-22-19, 05:49 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Last summer I replaced a tube on a nearby kids MTB. (I don't charge anything for repairs to local bikes brought to my retired "Gone fishing" bike shop by neighbors). I put 60psi in it and set into the back of my truck. About five minutes later from inside the shop I hear BLAM!! Flat again. I had forgotten the rim strip. I just can't figure why it took so long to blow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.