Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Downtube Nova or FS8 for 'large' rider

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-25-19, 07:16 AM
BikeNSail

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Motobecane CF Champion SRAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a 'clydesdale' (6'2", 220lbs). I prefer the Nova over the FS due to smaller size, lighter weight, and fewer things to go wrong, but the Nova has max recommended weight of 200lbs and height of 6'2". I'm over on the weight and max on height.

Any other 'large' riders out there ridden the Nova?
Old 02-25-19, 11:01 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
The Forte might be more for you: EuroMini ZiZZO Forte
Old 02-25-19, 12:53 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I own both of those downtubes. I didn't know there was a weight limit. s the 8FS higher? I didn't find a limit in the online specs.
Both are nice bikes, in my opinion, but if they are rated for size, then you have to go elsewhere.

The 8FS gives you a cassette, better as it allows greater selection should you want to change it. The Nova uses a freewheel, and its smallest gear is 13T while the cassette is 12T. Nova has a shorter seat tube, a lower steo-over height and uses a twist shifter. 8FS has a trigger shifter and of course, the suspension.

I prefer the steering tube latch on the Nova as it clamp tight/secure, The 8FS has a different style that can open and wiggle, On the other had, the frame latch on the 8FS seems more secure. I hardly ride my wife's 8FS, and she has never ridden the Nova.
Old 02-25-19, 03:37 PM
BikeNSail

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Motobecane CF Champion SRAM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
. I didn't know there was a weight limit. s the 8FS higher? I didn't find a limit in the online specs..
https://www.downtube.com/pages/foldi...son-table.html

It's not on the specs page, but found above on their site.

The Nova is 200lbs, FS is 245lbs.

How's the suspension on the FS? I'm not really interested in a 'mushy' ride. I ride a road bike and am OK with a few bumps and think the suspension will take away from peddling efficiency.

Never heard of a 'freewheel', but that doesn't sound good.....
Old 02-25-19, 05:45 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Stands to reason the 8FS can take more weight, The seattube is much longer for one thing,

The only reason I ever heard of Downtube is because I saw a video by the owner, Yan, where he talks about why folders benefit from suspension, I initially planned the 8FS for myself, but did ask my wife for buy-in, and she said she wanted it. I then decided to get the Nova to save some money. Neither of us pedal hard enough to lose power on the springs. I will say the 8FS is comfy for a seniors like us, but the Nova is fine. I'd rather not stand on the folding pegs, but I do when I see something hard coming up.
Old 02-25-19, 06:20 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
I'm 230lbs, and the downtube mini handles my weight just fine. I hate the tires, and I swapped out the pedals, but downtube is a solid brand.
Old 03-01-19, 07:49 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I have ridden the crap out of my FS9. Totally abused it, gone through several sets of folding pedals (they just don't last with my fat as smashing down on them). The internal gear FS8 is probably geared better. I'm 6ft, 250lb, but ride very tall. Had to get an extended seatpost. Downtube makes a very high quality bike and has little niceties included that are not immediately appreciated. The suspension although quirky, is appreciated by my lower back. And out of all my bikes, is still the "Go To" bike.
Old 03-01-19, 07:53 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

BTW, have you looked at the "DownTube" threads? I know there is one for the FS9.
Old 03-04-19, 03:30 PM
Zonker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
I have ridden the crap out of my FS9. Totally abused it, gone through several sets of folding pedals (they just don't last with my fat as smashing down on them). The internal gear FS8 is probably geared better. I'm 6ft, 250lb, but ride very tall. Had to get an extended seatpost. Downtube makes a very high quality bike and has little niceties included that are not immediately appreciated. The suspension although quirky, is appreciated by my lower back. And out of all my bikes, is still the "Go To" bike.
Hi, did you get the extended seatpost from Downtube, or elsewhere? I was just on their site, contemplating.
Old 03-05-19, 10:24 PM
mirfi

I'm pretty sure I ordered the longer seatpost from Downtube. If I buy a new folding bike/mini-velo I know beforehand that I am buying an extended seatpost and a larger chainring. It is sad that nobody makes affordable 20" folding bicycles in 'adult' sizes.
Old 03-06-19, 12:04 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
The seatposts we sell online are the same as the stock posts. They are not longer.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 03-07-19, 06:51 AM
mirfi

Yan,

Sorry, I thought it was an option so many yeeeaars ago.

:-)

And this is something good also. The Downtube bikes have standard parts that are easily upgrade-able and although it was 10+ years ago.

I would purchase again.