Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Coast to Coast Bike Ride Starts Saturday in San Diego!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 04:05 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

My very good cycling friend who gave me the idea of doing a Coast to Coast bike ride starts his very own ride this Saturday. He is doing a supported ride via Bubbas Pampered Pedalers. They are riding a Southern Route from San Diego, CA to St Augustine, FL. His ride will be approximately 2500 miles over 52 days. I'm really excited for him and looking forward to following his ride over social media.

Anyone else ridden the southern route or rode any tours with Bubba?
Old 02-28-19, 11:01 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
I've ridden some and familiar with all of the portion of the Southern Tier roughly in the range of Sugarfoot*. Epic ride over the USA's most varied climactic range. There are numerous long stretches in the west with limited or no services, but since he's going supported, this shouldn't be an issue. Here's wishing him the ride of a lifetime!

BTW, if anyone is interested in the fastest, shortest cycletouring route 'ocean pier to ocean pier', just 1900 miles across the USA, here's my shortcut off the Southern Tier:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29360687

Remember:
"It's not an adventure until something bad happens." - trans-USA rider & tour leader Lawrence Walker

*"You'll find him on the side of law and order,
From the Mexicali border, to the rolling hills of Arkansas."

Last edited by tcs; 02-28-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 11:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1st weekend in June, another group of competitors head out from Astoria , to Yorktown VA in a self supported trans-American-continental race.. https://transambikerace.com/

Europe has one too ... https://www.transcontinental.cc/ looks like route varies.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcontinental_Race ....
Old 02-28-19, 07:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
I recall the first RAAM and salivated at the idea of participating. Had my first experience with a double century and did another one for good measure a year later. Then I called it quits for the long haul torture stuff. 100 miles is the max I am willing to go in a day.
Old 03-01-19, 02:15 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I recall the first RAAM and salivated at the idea of participating. Had my first experience with a double century and did another one for good measure a year later. Then I called it quits for the long haul torture stuff. 100 miles is the max I am willing to go in a day.
I hear ya! 100 miles has been a good, "comfortable" mileage for my legs as well. There have been days when I've done more but they've been special activities. We have a group that rides to the Atlantic Coast from this area and it's a little over 200 miles. But it is fairly flat and it's easier with a nice sized, well behaved group.