Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long can we ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How long can we ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 12:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One of the bars in town, a few summers ago, I saw a bunch of Harleys, one has stabilizer wheels , like training wheels but for a heavy motor bike..

I assume the older rider had balance problems , but wanted to keep on riding..

@ 71, I'm liking step thru convenience of my folding bike (s)... easy on and off.. I just don't go far..

Old 03-06-19, 08:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe

I’ve never considered myself an athlete either as I’ve never really competed at a high level. But I’ve played on a lot of teams in a number of different sports. Interestingly when I was working my teammates voted me most athletic of the group I guess just because I’d ride 100 milers???

Anyway I’m seeing some of the downward trajectory as well. I’m wondering if the bike crash, hip replacement and time away from the physical routine has accelerated it??? I’ve lost distance in my golf game, I’m riding a lot slower, so much I can’t stay with the group where I used to be one of the stronger riders just last year. My speeds are noticeably slower. All of that has occurred in the last few months. I’m 66 as well and noticed similar changes a few years ago but not this dramatic. I can still ride distances but at a much more moderate pace. I guess we’ll know for sure in due time!
You're still just a kid. Get after it! And maybe get some blood work done. The fast drop-off is not normal. One should hardly notice any difference from year-to-year. If you do, something's up.
Old 03-06-19, 09:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I know some folks start losing their sense of balance in their 90s, but there's always trikes. Consistent training has worked well for me, especially a couple hours strength training per week and keeping the weekly cycling hours up to as much as I can do. This winter, I'm getting in 8-9 hours, in the summer I usually get 12-16. That's not all cycling, some strength, skiing, hiking, running. Our tandem team age is 142. We're still doing hard group rides.
Old 03-06-19, 09:14 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
'til death do us park
Old 03-06-19, 09:17 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Robert Marchand set cycling records at 105. He finally gave up road cycling at 106 at the insistence of his physician but still rides stationary cycle every day.
Old 03-06-19, 11:45 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
This has been on my mind for a while

Hi folks,
I just passed the ¾ century mark and have been wondering for a while about how long I will be able to ride. I’ve seen postings here about people in their 80s still on the roads. Including a couple on their tandem. A while back there was a posting about a European fellow who is over 100 and still riding/competing.
Overall, I’m in good heath and only suffer from a few of the maladies that affect gents my age. My semi-annual health & wellness check always give good results. Cholesterol is right where it should, as is blood glucose. Organ functions are within normal limits and blood pressure is a bit low. My doctor says that I’m the healthiest of his patients in my age group. So, either he doesn’t have many patients in their 70s or he just wants me to feel good.
I’ve never been a cycling competitor or a bike tourist, I just like to ride. From my mid-20s to my mid-50s, I was heavily into century rides, which included the family. I’ve also commuted by bike when possible. Currently, my target is 50 miles week, + more in the warmer months, - a few when it’s cold and wet. I vary my route thru a hilly section of town primarily on residential streets. Really try to avoid higher speed or high traffic areas.
I’m also into the mechanical side of bikes. My current stable ranges from a 1964 Holds worth Typhoon to a 1988 Paramount Anniversary to a 2013 Ridley CX. My pride and joy is a 1966 Eddie Soens which is equipped with a Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport group. I also have a 2004 Giant Iguana set up as a rigid, disc brake, 1 X 9 townie. All get ridden regularly except when being upgraded or rebuilt.

I also, volunteer two days a week a our local bicycle based community service organization (Co-op).

I’d like hear from others regarding their riding and how they stay with it.
Thanks and regards,

Van

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 03-06-19 at 11:47 PM. Reason: correct errors
Old 03-07-19, 08:17 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Been riding as an adult for 35 years, just expect to keep going.
Maybe not as fast or hard or long. But it's all good.
My annual mileage is about 3000mi.

I have no aversion to mixtes or recumbents when needed.
Old 03-07-19, 09:04 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
I'm 65, riding 2400 miles a year. I will retire in June and expect my mileage to go up!
Old 03-07-19, 09:34 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I've never been an athletic. Ever. I wish I was. I've done double centuries very slowly and ridden multi week supported tours with many mountains, again, very slowly. I bike commute daily and if I count that (and why wouldn't I?) I hit 7000 miles last year.
At 65 I wonder how much longer I'll be able to do it. I'm on a downward trajectory.
I've noticed I've lost power and pop over the last six months. I fear the end is approaching.
So who knows?
Last spring, I was really slow. Way slower than previous years, and no obvious cause. I thought, Will it be like this from now on?
But by summer, I was back in the groove. And it showed up on Golden Cheetah stats: back to normal in speed/power and stress/effort history.

So, don't give up just yet.
Old 03-07-19, 10:18 PM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
At 65 I wonder how much longer I'll be able to do it. I'm on a downward trajectory.
............. I fear the end is approaching. So who knows?
Awww, come on. I saw your France tour photos. You look like you've got a few miles left.
Anyway, I'm 66 now (where did it go ? ? ? ? ?) and last year rode my longest in a day - 52 miles. Did it on my "62 Peugeot and felt great the next day. I'd certainly like to ride more and, right now, don't feel that my age is yet a factor. I'll try to ride more this year and try to get my wife to ride also.
Old 03-08-19, 02:56 PM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I've increased my mileage the past couple years and I figure I'm about at my old mans annual mileage at this point - he does a 12 mile ride most days the weather is decent (just clear roads, it can be cold). He turns 80 the end of this summer.
Old 03-11-19, 11:27 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Ed Delano was invited to his 50th college reunion, but it was in New England, and he'd moved to California. "It's too far" his friend said. He got there in a month, on his bicycle. AKA Foxy Grandpa to local riders.

I'm 70, and might build a simple recumbent to accommodate some arthritis in my hands, but I'd like to emulate Pete Seeger, who was still splitting wood two weeks before he passed. I figure that time in the saddle is not taken off my lifetime at the usual rate.
Old 03-11-19, 02:21 PM
bsmsdave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how long can we ride?

I am 67, trike'n along on my Greenspeed AERO.... barring any unforseen illness/injury....till death do we part
Old 03-11-19, 04:29 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Having just turned 60, I don't even think about things like how long can I ride, unless we're talking about how many hours am I good for in a day.

I do think about how long until I retire....I figure Jan 23rd 2024.
Old 03-11-19, 08:19 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
69 and recently retired. Didn’t want to work forever, but do plan to continue to play in the street on a bike forever. Or until I can no longer balance,(which I don’t believe is inevitable), at which point I would look into a trike, which would be no big deal, as i’ve been riding recumbents for a dozen years.
Old 03-11-19, 08:57 PM
HuskerJef

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A long freakin’ time!

I’m 66 and had a great year last year. Found a “coach” who helped me monitor my efforts, added more short hard rides, and it paid off.

having said that, I had a cycling accident in January that led to a hip replacement. 8 weeks later I’m recovering, riding stationary, but expect to surpass last year’s efforts with similar training. It can be done.

I expect to ride into my 80’s. The only thing I fear is an accident that wouldn’t be good on an 80 year old body. If that fear is there in my 79’s, I’ll ride stationary and virtually outdoors.

keep pedaling friends, no matter how you do it.
Old 03-12-19, 01:34 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I'm about to turn 66 (2 weeks) and try to average ~40 miles/week. I had created sciatica issues ~20 years ago playing volleyball one night. Really, really painful every couple of months or so. Gave up high impact sports cuz of it (downhill/x-country skiing, b-ball, v-ball, hiking and backpacking). Took up biking (Mtn Bike on streets) becuz I wanted/needed exercise.

Fast forward ~15 years (~5 years ago). Out on my usual early morning bike ride one day. Distracted by the scenery and great weather and nearly hit an 8" round path divider pole filled with concrete. Panic stopped and flew over the front of the bike AND the pole. Got up, shook myself off. A few nasty bruises developed and truly strained/sprained my left arm (no power in it at all) and kind of limp rode my way back home.

Kept expecting my sciatica to go haywire and be seriously laid up for a couple of weeks. Weeks, then months, then a year went by. No sciatica at all (a bit of morning soreness occasionally in that hip, but nothing else since then).

I can see the irony in this...my high impact sports activity must have displaced my hip enuf to cause the sciatica. Then an accident during my alternative exercise routine, my biking, seems like it put it all back in place.

I don't expect to stop biking for a number of years, but I'm beginning to think about getting back into hiking and backpacking again. Go figure.....
Old 03-12-19, 05:11 PM
Trentc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been an athletic. Ever. I wish I was. I've done double centuries very slowly and ridden multi week supported tours with many mountains, again, very slowly. I bike commute daily and if I count that (and why wouldn't I?) I hit 7000 miles last year.
I've noticed I've lost power and pop over the last six months. I fear the end is approaching.
So who knows?
A double century and commute everyday for 7000 miles per year? You sound pretty athletic to me. Regarding the "lost power and pop," I wouldn't necessarily consider that a "downward trajectory." I would say that could very well be due to you not changing your training/riding habits to accommodate your age. It is well known that as we age, our riding needs to change, as well as, more importantly, our recovery. When those things are managed properly, it is possible to maintain, or increase, our power and speed at the young age of 65 and beyond.
Old 03-12-19, 05:25 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I've never raced, nor have any desire to race, but I do plan on still riding into my 80's and hopefully a bit longer. The weird thing is I've read from several sports doctors that competitive riding at later stages of life can do more harm then good, vs just riding for exercise, not sure how accurate those reports are but all I know is i'm not into the competitive thing.
Old 03-14-19, 10:55 AM
rondi

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 79 and still active--thankfully. Last year I missed my goal of 1500mi --but got over 1k miles. Our winters in the N Idaho are killers for my fitness--so I take our small motorhome and head to SoCal for a few months. Yesterday we got to Napa, CA and plan to do some bucket list riding--up the Silverado Trail with my wife. I've lost a lot of hill climbing endurance, so long steep hills are no longer fun--I call it Bike and Hike. Thanks to members on this forum, I was able to change my cassette to one with larger cogs.
As Clint Eastwood sez--"Don't Let the Old Man In"--- goggle the previous quote for the video by Toby Keith.
Stay upright!

Last edited by rondi; 03-15-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 12:28 PM
katyjcrow

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I’m 67and ride 5000+ miles a year. I did 10 Time Trials and 11 cyclocross races last year. I started cross 11 years ago and am looking foreward to next fall. There are still about 10-12 guys racing 65+ cross around here. So get out and ride!
Old 03-14-19, 12:44 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I am 68 and only started riding last year. Got out this morning though, I set my goal for 100 kilometers a week. Ride a Giant hybrid. Along with the 100k a week I would like to do a 100 kilometer round trip, most so far is only 40 k. Do not see any reason to stop riding for the foresable future.
Old 03-14-19, 01:27 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Resurrrected an old 95 Trek 800 Sport in December 2013. Started logging my commutes (haphazardly at first) in August 2014. This year I logged my 4000th mile. I'll be 58 in May. I've lost 50 lbs and am fitter than I was at 18! I hope I can keep cranking out the miles forever
Old 03-15-19, 03:49 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Welcome to the "Newbies" who have chimed in on this thread. Keep on riding!
Old 03-15-19, 06:09 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Jeez, you guys - 60 is the new 40. Not even giving this a thought until I'm over 80 and probably not for long then. I'm 64 now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.