Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How long can we ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How long can we ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 01:20 PM
photojon

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Vitus 979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be 70 this year. My average miles per year since 1985 is still over 3500, and I usually ride my age at least once a year. Both of those took a hit in 2018 because I broke a bone in my foot while hiking, missing almost all of June, July, and August. I got out of shape unable to ride, wearing a walking boot all summer. But I managed to recover enough to finish with 1800 miles for the year. I'm off to a fairly slow start this year, so I'm wondering if I am now experiencing a "new normal." It was easier when I was able to stay in riding shape year round, rather than trying to ride my way back into shape at this age. But I'm not ready to give up on something I love to do.

Last edited by photojon; 03-17-19 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Outdated signature corrected.
Old 03-18-19, 03:35 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Turned 80 in Dec. If the weather cooperates I will ride about 2500 miles this year. Some of us are more fortunate than others.
Old 03-28-19, 08:01 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
turning 60 next week. think I'll stop riding. hahaha only kidding! maybe I'll just take fewer risks ...
Old 03-28-19, 03:12 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Turned 80 in Dec. If the weather cooperates I will ride about 2500 miles this year. Some of us are more fortunate than others.
You are my man! I was brought up to respect my elders. I also will be 80, in about 45 more days. There are so few of us. If you are on Strava join the 80 plus club. We/the elders - need to show the kids that there is life after 70 - 75 and yes even 80!
Old 03-28-19, 05:28 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
nah, don't let anyone fool you by telling you 60 is the new 40, people aren't living an average life of 112, thus all the crap that your genes will tell you you will have-you will have, if you're going to have aches and pains you have that, if your going to have alzheimer's you will get that, all the exercise in the world won't change what your genitcs are programed to do, you might not get a heart attack as quickly or maybe a stroke not as quickly but it will come and get you if your genes say it will. The only thing that has changed is that people in this generation have decided to be more active in retirement, but along with that activity has been a huge spike in injuries and replacement joint surgeries, but I rather being doing something active wise then to set in a sofa watching TV and drinking gin and tonic and or beer till I die, I'd rather go out with a bang and not drunk with a huge beer belly.
Old 03-29-19, 12:27 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
nah, don't let anyone fool you by telling you 60 is the new 40, people aren't living an average life of 112, thus all the crap that your genes will tell you you will have-you will have, if you're going to have aches and pains you have that, if your going to have alzheimer's you will get that, all the exercise in the world won't change what your genitcs are programed to do, you might not get a heart attack as quickly or maybe a stroke not as quickly but it will come and get you if your genes say it will. The only thing that has changed is that people in this generation have decided to be more active in retirement, but along with that activity has been a huge spike in injuries and replacement joint surgeries, but I rather being doing something active wise then to set in a sofa watching TV and drinking gin and tonic and or beer till I die, I'd rather go out with a bang and not drunk with a huge beer belly.

It's a pretty sad way to die too, yet we all know people who end up that way.