Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Seatpost Options for Technical Riding

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 06:37 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

So I intended on using my fat bike for riding street and mtb trails once the weather picks up, and I was going to get a dropper seatpost however my bike doesn't have routing for one unless I go 1x (which I won't and is non-negotiable atm) or if I do some funky external routing. I was put off by this when I saw that some posts had weight limits and since I'm ~360lbs I didn't want to take that risk and opted for getting a seatpost collar with a QR lever. Unfortunately it didn't last long as the seatpost began to twist even when it was tightened to the max, and I bent the lever when I attempted to over tighten it. I tried my original collar and tightened to 5nm and it's solid so that's not an issue.

I can get away with stopping to adjust the seatpost so I don't need a dropper post with a remote lever (that seems more like a luxury than a necessity), but I did come across Dropper posts with integrated levers in the seatpost which seems like it would work perfectly for my type of riding. I'm still uncertain due to the weight thing but if I *could* get a dropper post I'd also need a shock pump since I don't run suspension. Or I can just cut my losses and invest in a portable torque wrench for my seatpost (shrug).

What would you all recommend?
Old 03-16-19, 08:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you want to run a dropper with external cable routing but don’t have extra cable guides available, just use something like Problem Solvers Stick On Cable Guides - they can zip tied as well.

Don’t know about the weight limits on the droppers though.

Having a remote for the dropper is key, IMO.
Old 03-16-19, 08:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
KS eTen Lever. Sealed, non-adjustable, cheap.
Old 03-16-19, 08:06 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
External dropper is perfectly fine. Seeing the cable or not seeing the cable does not change the riding experience one single bit.
I have a PNW cascade and it has a coil spring, so don't need a shock pump.

TBH, all the added features like hydraulic lever, air spring etc. will add more complexity. droppers are sensitive as they are, and kind of are long time wear items. Unless you have the $, a regular dropper will be fine.

I don't know about weight limits, but I doubt many manufacturers will officially state 360 lb is OK. Most bikes have 300 lb weight limits. So you just have to live with the fact it will wear out faster. Again, get one that is less complex and expensive and be prepared to replace it.

I really recommend a remote lever on the handlebar. Most better ones have one anyway and you will see you will adjust constantly. On some technical terrain i use it almost as often as my shifter (infinite adjustment)
Old 03-28-19, 12:28 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
So just an update: I decided to go with the KS ETen dropper post. It actually works well with my setup. The only gripe I have is that it doesn’t have a *visible* port for adding air pressure, however I was lucky that I didn’t experience any sagging of the dropper post during my brief ride.

Now I have a “Trail Ready” Fat bike and a shock pump that I will probably not be using anytime soon 🤷🏾

Old 03-28-19, 01:15 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
So just an update: I decided to go with the KS ETen dropper post. It actually works well with my setup. The only gripe I have is that it doesn’t have a *visible* port for adding air pressure, however I was lucky that I didn’t experience any sagging of the dropper post during my brief ride.

Now I have a “Trail Ready” Fat bike and a shock pump that I will probably not be using anytime soon 🤷🏾

Awesome!