Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sun Protection Bike Jerseys

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 01:11 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts

So I'm on a medication for the next several months (through the month of May) that has a precaution of avoiding sun exposure. I'm looking for a long sleeve bike jersey that carries a reasonable UPF that's not made from a thermal material. I'm looking for material that's light like a regular short-sleeve jersey.

I've found a white long -sleeve jersey on Aerotech Design's website, but the lack of color is a minus. They have some other long sleeve jerseys, but their website admits they don't have an UPF rating for the material.

Anyone have a recommendation? I'd prefer to not have sun sleeves, but maybe ultimately that's the way to go. I'm 6' 2" tall, 175 pounds, and my arms are on the skinny side. In a short sleeve jersey, my favorite, size-wise, is a "large" from Primal Wear. Thanks!

Last edited by Altair 4; 03-17-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-17-19, 01:37 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Probably not your type of jersey, but I have three of these based upon multiple skin cancers. I always wear long sleeve and I am not into skin tight jerseys.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1221...8248-GN3&csp=f
Old 03-17-19, 06:27 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Originally Posted by themp
Probably not your type of jersey, but I have three of these based upon multiple skin cancers. I always wear long sleeve and I am not into skin tight jerseys.
That's not bad looking. If you don't mind my asking, tell me about the sleeve length. Do they provide good coverage when your on the bike and arms are extended? Generally speaking, I buy "tall" sizes for the sleeves, like from LL Bean or Land's End. How tall are you?

How about the comfort factor in warmer weather while riding? I wouldn't expect temperatures much over 80 during the time frame in question.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-19, 08:39 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
That's not bad looking. If you don't mind my asking, tell me about the sleeve length. Do they provide good coverage when your on the bike and arms are extended? Generally speaking, I buy "tall" sizes for the sleeves, like from LL Bean or Land's End. How tall are you?

How about the comfort factor in warmer weather while riding? I wouldn't expect temperatures much over 80 during the time frame in question.

Thanks!
I am 5' 9" tall and wear a large. Normal arms I guess, the Jersey covers completely up to my gloves. I have to pull up on the sleeve to see my watch. I wear it in 80-90 degree heat in the summer in NC and it is cool to me. The material does flap around your arms, but for me it seems to be cooler that way. But at 66 years old I am not really riding hard. I enjoy the outdoors and pedaling at around 10MPH. From the arm pit to the end of the sleeve is 23 inches for a large.

Last edited by themp; 03-17-19 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-17-19, 09:23 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
Surf and swim shirts are an option. They have both tight and loose fitting styles. O'neil, Billybong, Quick Silver...., Here is a link to just one of many name brands. surf shirts, Rashgaurds, sun shirts, UV shirt, etc.

https://www.quiksilver.com/mens-surf-tees/

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=long+slee...l_2wndtp3qax_b
Old 03-18-19, 09:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Might be easier to find some other long sleeve athletic wear that does have an spf rating and is moisture wicking (most are), then wear your cycling jersey over it.

Though I like my sun sleeves. I can easily pull them off when stopped to let my body cool when the airflow created while riding is no longer cooling me. Still, if your meds don't like sun, you'll need more than just sun sleeves.
Old 03-18-19, 10:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Some of the newer, lighter jerseys I have are so thin I can see a bit of tanning underneath, but not after wearing a Primal jersey, even for a long day's ride. If you've got long sleeve jerseys in your collection, I'd just wear one of those. Sun sleeves are OK for me up to about 80F if your wardrobe is all short sleeves.
Old 03-19-19, 02:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The Louis Garneau Lemmon 2 jersey has the thinnest, lightest and coolest material I've found in a jersey. Other users have said the same thing. The material feels different from most poly blend fabrics -- it's closer to the finest thin soft cotton or merino wool. Nothing at all like the usual laminated jersey materials that have a woven outer fabric and porous but slicker, tighter weave inner fabric.

The fit is snug. The fabric stretches and doesn't feel confining or like compression material. Perspiration does print through, which is a tradeoff for a cooler material. My other jerseys don't print perspiration as obviously, but the material isn't as cool in brutally hot Texas summers (several 100+ F days last summer). It air dries quickly while I ride.

I've worn only the short sleeve version, without using any sunscreen underneath. I tend to burn pretty easily but saw and felt no penetration through the thin material. I did use sunscreen on my bare arms, neck, etc.

The long sleeve version isn't discounted right now but is still a good value at full price. I've tagged the long sleeve version of this jersey on Amazon and am waiting to see if it pops up discounted.
Old 03-19-19, 08:42 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Wear this under your regular shirt only $8.00 ea. SPF 50+

I bought one to try and the sleeves were almost too long.

https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/han...tegoryId=21076

Hanes Sport™ Men's FreshIQ™ Cool DRI® Long Sleeve Tee

Old 03-20-19, 08:48 AM
Altair 4

Thanks for all of the good suggestions! Fantastic price and fit range!
Old 03-23-19, 12:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not a Bike Jersey but made of jersey, named after the Channel Island,
which lent its name to a knit rather than woven fabric, created there..

I bought a Long sleeve Wicking treated , synthetic, Polo shirt from North Face..