Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette question - About carriers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 05:40 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts

This weekend after doing a Spring tear down, I found that my Swiss DT 3 pawl freehub was badly gouged from the sprockets. I was looking to see if there were options for a cassette (10 speed 11-28) that will be less damaging to the free hub.

In more looking, it seems that this is something with which I will have to live unless I can find a steel freehub.

Last edited by bakerjw; 03-18-19 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-18-19, 07:51 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Some Shimano cassettes have two carriers, so you get the six largest cogs (the ones that put the most torque on the hub) on carriers. The small cogs don't dig in as much. I have two Chris King hubs which are light, but soft. If I need to replace them, I'll go with the stainless version, even given the slight (50g) weight penalty.

I think this may be specific to Mountain groupsets, but I am pretty sure that 10 speed XT uses a dual carrier. If your RD can handle the larger cog, that would be my suggestion.
Old 03-18-19, 07:52 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
What make and model cassette were you using? Most Shimano cassettes have the largest three cogs mounted on a single carrier to prevent what you experienced. Some lower line Campy cassettes (Veloce particularly) have all individual cogs and are harder on the freehub body.

Aluminum freehub bodies are prone to that problem unless the splines are made taller like Campy does or Shimano's short lived 10-speed only bodies or the body is steel or Ti.
Old 03-18-19, 08:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
This is why the Shimano FH splining standard called for steel....and why anyone who used plain aluminum for the FH body to save a few grams were Morons.

It is also why Shimano came up with the "Microspline" FH body splining...because FH makers cannot be trusted to not be Dumb.

Any Steel cogs on any aluminum FH body will gouge...unless the splines are re-inforced with steel. Which some FH makers have taken to doing, with varying degrees of success.
Old 03-18-19, 08:53 AM
bakerjw

Most likely it was a CS-5700. The big 3 were on carrier by themselves. All of my bikepacking bikes and our mountain tandem have 3 sprockets on 2 carriers.
I would have thought that DT Swiss would have made something a bit more durable. Or at least a way of swapping out the outer housing without having to replace the entire unit.
Old 03-18-19, 08:58 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Due to this problem even with two carriers I had decided my next wheels would be American Classic with the steel inserts (2 IIRC) on the aluminum hub, unfortunately whey shut down in 2017.
Old 03-18-19, 08:59 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Most likely it was a CS-5700. The big 3 were on carrier by themselves. All of my bikepacking bikes and our mountain tandem have 3 sprockets on 2 carriers.
I would have thought that DT Swiss would have made something a bit more durable. Or at least a way of swapping out the outer housing without having to replace the entire unit.
DT makes a variety of freehub bodies, depending on how important weight-weeinie-ism is. You haven't specified what hubset you have...

https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-1...d-Freehub-Body

https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-1...himano-Freehub

https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-A...m-Freehub-Body

https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-S...n-Freehub-Body

Everyone makes aluminum Shimano FH bodies--because of how much grams sells. The good ones come in steel or steel-reinforced aluminum, if the consumer wants it.
Old 03-18-19, 09:12 AM
bakerjw

I honestly do not know what hub set that it is as there are no markings on it.
It says 11 speed road and has 3 pawls.
It looks like it is a 370.
Based on that, this is what I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_o01_s00

I am not a weight weenie so steel would be fine.