Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What may annoy you when commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What may annoy you when commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 02:36 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
...Idiots on bicycles doing all manner of stupid, rude, dangerous stuff...
I sometimes get stuck behind nimrods riding with no hands.

Passing them is always a pain -- you need especially wide margins due to their total lack of control and situational awareness (as well as the fact that it's always prudent to cut idiots more space). If the road is busy, you won't get that space. If the road is empty, count on them to swerve all over the place so it's still hard to get by.

Plenty of good cyclists in Portland but there are enough bad ones that I prefer riding with motor vehicles to riding with other cyclists here.
Old 03-25-19, 04:22 PM
alikitch

Bikes: Colnago Master, Tommasini Techno, De Rosa Primato, XB3 Kvant, Cinelli track, KHS Aerotrack, Takhion track, Samoilov track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Where to start

1. Cars trying to hit me (this morning)
2. Buses trying to hit me (last week)
3. Combined bus / bike lanes
4. Pedestrians on bike lane who can’t walk on the left (the right side here)
5. Pedestrians on bike lane walking 2 or 3 abreast taking whole width of lane
6. Pedestrians on bike lane with small dogs on Long leashes that they let run all over the bike lane
7. Small, narrow rough bike lanes with blind corners
8. Electric scooters on bike lane coming around blind corners on the wrong side
9. People who appear to have never ridden a bike before buying e bikes and thundering down bike lane out of control thinking that by ringing their bell when they are about to overtake you that you will magically be able to stop and get out of their way in 12 nanoseconds
10. Reading cycle hate columns in the paper then commuting on roads where drivers act like they also just read the same thing
11. Car drivers who that because they pay petrol tax and vehicle registration means they have paid for road, whereas these don’t cover a fraction of road/car costs and they are actually heavily subsidised by taxpayers

that feels better.
Old 03-25-19, 08:14 PM
plittle2005

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Dogs, usually on leashes, that suddenly lunge at you, barking and snarling, clearly in attack mode. I once got so distracted trying to avoid, I ran right into a walker, spilled the bike, road rash, luckily an understanding walker, said I should have run over the damn thing! Now I carry postman dog repellant. I am a former dog owner, but I don't trust them!
Old 03-25-19, 08:24 PM
plittle2005

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Lights, LIGHTS, BIG BRIGHT FLASHING LIGHTS!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-19, 10:47 PM
Bill Abbey

Bikes: CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT,, Bike Friday, Specialized Vado

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac

Anytime you ride in the street and do not get killed, it is a plus. I do not recommend it. If you can't commute using dedicated Bike Paths don't do it. It is not worth it. It only takes one Jackass and you are going to lose the battle with a 21/2 Ton Automobile. Stick to Bike Paths and Parks and ride safely and happily. The number of Ghost Funerals in this City alone is unbelievable. Their ain't nothing Romantic about it. You are Hurt or you are Dead and a Statistic that everyone will forget about.
A pet peeve of mine? "Riders" who should take a LAB course or two on cycling safely while being unnecessarily timid, then railing against factors -while predicting death and apocalyptic results to riders who do not limit their own horizons. While I usually enjoy riding paths and dedicated structure, if I rode them exclusively my touring and bicycle enjoyment would be severely curtailed. Of all the major cities I've ridden in -Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Paris, Madrid, and Miami to name a few I think I enjoyed New York City about as well as any. Yes, I rode paths in many of these places but the majority of time was spent riding safely in "traffic", as traffic.
Old 03-25-19, 11:03 PM
csaxby

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plittle2005
Dogs, usually on leashes, that suddenly lunge at you, barking and snarling, clearly in attack mode. I once got so distracted trying to avoid, I ran right into a walker, spilled the bike, road rash, luckily an understanding walker, said I should have run over the damn thing! Now I carry postman dog repellent. I am a former dog owner, but I don't trust them!
Owner: "That's so weird--my dog never goes after people!"
Me: "Well, it just went after me, so you might misunderstand the definition of the word never."

I actually really like dogs and wish I was responsible enough to own and take care of one. I just really detest being told that something "never happens" immediately after it clearly happened.
Old 03-26-19, 03:31 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Abbey
A pet peeve of mine? "Riders" who should take a LAB course or two on cycling safely while being unnecessarily timid, then railing against factors -while predicting death and apocalyptic results to riders who do not limit their own horizons. While I usually enjoy riding paths and dedicated structure, if I rode them exclusively my touring and bicycle enjoyment would be severely curtailed. Of all the major cities I've ridden in -Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Paris, Madrid, and Miami to name a few I think I enjoyed New York City about as well as any. Yes, I rode paths in many of these places but the majority of time was spent riding safely in "traffic", as traffic.
this right here

Last edited by phile; 03-26-19 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 06:57 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Pedestrians on cell phones.

Coming into my parking lot this morning there are 3 people...THREE...standing in the road way (the one for cars, mind you) standing there in the middle of the roadway of a parking lot as people are showing up to work all looking straight down at their phones. No situational awareness that they are in a parking lot with cars moving everywhere.

While it's easy for me to go around them on a bike, they create a hazard fro car drivers who are trying not to run them over which makes a car driver tend to do something unpredictable like go around in the wrong lane or back up or anything other than I'm expecting a car to go. That makes it dangerous for me on the bike.

I don't want them to get hurt. But if a car were to inch up close to them and blow the horn and scare the begeebies out of them...I'd laugh.
Old 03-26-19, 07:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
At the risk of throwing gas on a fire .... I do get annoyed when an e-bike passes me on my commute (I typically dig deep into the red zone so I can pass them again - yes, I am an idiot). Most of the time my annoyance is just me being a dumb jerk, but there are those people using e-moped on non-motorized infrastructure going 25-30 mph - that's more than annoying.
Old 03-26-19, 07:57 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
At the risk of throwing gas on a fire .... I do get annoyed when an e-bike passes me on my commute (I typically dig deep into the red zone so I can pass them again - yes, I am an idiot). Most of the time my annoyance is just me being a dumb jerk, but there are those people using e-moped on non-motorized infrastructure going 25-30 mph - that's more than annoying.
i recognize this idiot behavior since i tend to do it myself from time to time.
Old 03-26-19, 08:02 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
lol my work has flyers on the bulletin boards saying if you get 'caught' using your cell phone safely, you might win a $5 gift card to the cafeteria! Only way I could win is if I were to carry a rectangle of plywood around and pretend to safely stop and check it
Old 03-26-19, 08:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Mostly other cyclists ... that run stop signs and/or red lights. Also those that cut to the front of the line at a red light, then ride really slowly....
Yup, that's the thing that comes to my mind. I mean, like, dude, I passed you when you were moving, now you're going to pass me when I'm stopped, and then I'm going to pass you again when you start moving... this is annoying.
Old 03-26-19, 09:04 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Yup, that's the thing that comes to my mind. I mean, like, dude, I passed you when you were moving, now you're going to pass me when I'm stopped, and then I'm going to pass you again when you start moving... this is annoying.
This is just as annoying when driving a car too!

We all know that other drive who darts out of a driveway to get on the road ahead of you, or the one that's merging onto the interstate and just HAS to be in front of you not behind....

Then as soon as they are in front of you they slow down to a crawl.

Like WHAT WAS YOUR HURRY TO BE IN FRONT!?!??
Old 03-26-19, 10:29 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by plittle2005
Dogs, usually on leashes, that suddenly lunge at you, barking and snarling, clearly in attack mode. I once got so distracted trying to avoid, I ran right into a walker, spilled the bike, road rash, luckily an understanding walker, said I should have run over the damn thing! Now I carry postman dog repellant. I am a former dog owner, but I don't trust them!
In all fairness, it should never be possible to hit a walker or a leashed dog. If you're that close, you're too close.

Way easier and takes way less time to properly navigate a situation than to deploy spray (which wind can send to you or others)

I don't mind the passing so much -- if they're faster than me, they're not in the way.

However, a huge percentage of riders doing this aren't pedaling at all, have crap handling skills, and pass way too close to peds and skittery riders. As such, I regard them as a nuisance. Lightweight electric motorcycles make a lot of sense. But they should be ridden as the motorbikes they are.
Old 03-26-19, 10:36 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
lol my work has flyers on the bulletin boards saying if you get 'caught' using your cell phone safely, you might win a $5 gift card to the cafeteria! Only way I could win is if I were to carry a rectangle of plywood around and pretend to safely stop and check it
I mentioned it being illegal to hold your cellphone while driving to a someone my GF used to work with and she replied she was in the parking lot and that didn't apply to her then, She's got kids of her own and it didn't seem to bother her that the parking lot she was in then attracts a lot of kids either.
Old 03-26-19, 12:16 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by banerjek
In all fairness, it should never be possible to hit a walker or a leashed dog. If you're that close, you're too close.
Except retractable leashes (hate those damned things) - reference my video on post 22

I don't mind the passing so much -- if they're faster than me, they're not in the way.

However, a huge percentage of riders doing this aren't pedaling at all, have crap handling skills, and pass way too close to peds and skittery riders. As such, I regard them as a nuisance. Lightweight electric motorcycles make a lot of sense. But they should be ridden as the motorbikes they are.
Agreed!
Old 03-26-19, 12:38 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Ha, yep. And I believe it's acceptable to say, "you need a bigger battery" or something of the like as you pass them.

Seriously though, it's the attitude that some of them seem to have that is annoying. Some of them seem to think they are in some way superior because they are able to move faster than most regular bikers, or that the money they spent is actually some sort of license to use an engine on a path reserved for regular bikes.
Old 03-26-19, 12:54 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Commuting requires some tolerance, sure. But there are days!
E.g. a scooter idiot not looking when making a turn, crossing your path ... (sigh)

Anything you experienced while commuting that caused some frustration?
After this discussion yesterday, I came across this in my morning paper.

Cyclist, 71, is killed in collision with another bicyclist in Lexington
By Travis AndersenGLOBE STAFF MARCH 25, 2019

A 71-year-old cyclist was killed in Lexington on Sunday afternoon when he collided with another cyclist on a bike path in what appeared to be a “terrible accident,” a police official said.

The fatal crash on the Minuteman Bikeway occurred around 2:09 p.m., said Lieutenant Michael Tuomi of the Lexington Police Department.

“They were strangers going in opposite directions” at the time of the crash, Tuomi said.

He said that the cause of the collision remained under investigation Monday, but there were no signs of foul play. No charges had been filed, Tuomi said
Old 03-26-19, 12:56 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Except retractable leashes (hate those damned things) - reference my video on post 22
If they have a retractable leash, by definition they still have a lot to figure out. Even locked, retracto leashes give owners very little control so I assume anything attached will race out. One of the many reasons I avoid paths.
Old 03-26-19, 01:02 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

If they have a retractable leash, by definition they still have a lot to figure out. Even locked, retracto leashes give owners very little control so I assume anything attached will race out. One of the many reasons I avoid paths.
I totally agree about retractable leashes, as a dog lover, I've never used one.

The issue in my video, and at least one other time, with dogs on retractable leashes is the walker is adjacent to the roads and the dog bolts into the road. In my video, I couldn't swerve away from the dog since it'd put me in the path of an oncoming SUV. Still not sure how that dog didn't get me.
Old 03-26-19, 01:15 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
1) People that yell advice/instructions and don't know the law but think they're right.
2) Tailgating motorist.
3) Motorist that drive parallel to the cyclist -- without passing -- causing faster motorist to focus their anger and aggression towards the cyclist.
4) Pedestrian that divide to both sides of the path instead of all moving to the right.
5) Pedestrian that try to out think a passing cyclist and step in the way believing that they're moving out of the way.
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
A yellow skool bus blew by me less than 3-foot going 50 mph.

Beware of school buses. Being filled with kids gives them special privileges. So they think.
Nothing really gets to me -- seriously.

There's nothing more futile than struggling against inevitability, in this case the cycling environment. Bad drivers, morons, difficult conditions, etc. are all part of that. Gotta find a way to embrace it.

To do otherwise is like taking up mountaineering and being unhappy because it's too much work, too dangerous, and too cold.
Only if you're an android. Everybody is annoyed by something.
I totally agree about retractable leashes, as a dog lover, I've never used one.

The issue in my video, and at least one other time, with dogs on retractable leashes is the walker is adjacent to the roads and the dog bolts into the road. In my video, I couldn't swerve away from the dog since it'd put me in the path of an oncoming SUV. Still not sure how that dog didn't get me.
Originally Posted by alan s
Pedestrians and their dogs.
In public the owner is responsible for his animal at all times and under any condition. I always remind dog owners of this. I would never just let it pass.

Last edited by KraneXL; 03-28-19 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 03-26-19, 01:31 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I HATE IT when people call me an android! iOS or death!
Old 03-26-19, 01:54 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

1) People that yell advice/instructions and don't know the law but think they're right.
I'm pretty sure none of the advice/instructions I've had yelled at me was *ever* correct
In practice, little falls into this category for me. I've spent years learning how to like things that others dislike -- makes things more fun for me. In all honesty, watching people getting their knickers in a twist over petty stuff is comic relief. Being subject to crap myself reminds me of how others react, so it's still kind of funny.

In public the owner is responsible for his animal at all times and under any condition. I always remind dog owns of this. I would never just let it pass.
Some people are just knuckleheads. When push comes to shove, calling stupid people out on their stupidity doesn't make them smarter. Easier to figure out the easiest way through the situation and move on.

If this offends your sense of justice, keep in mind these folks run into others just like themselves all the time. As such, you are mathematically guaranteed that they'll dispense more justice/education on each other than you ever could. You won't get to see it, but you know it happens.

Last edited by banerjek; 03-26-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 02:27 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Gee 174 posts so far and no one has mentioned thinking up the ultimate post while riding and then forgetting it by the time you get to a computer?
Old 03-26-19, 02:59 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by no motor?
Gee 174 posts so far and no one has mentioned thinking up the ultimate post while riding and then forgetting it by the time you get to a computer?
^^^ Winner!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.