Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Angry Bees, Freehub noise

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 03:07 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Help me understand , what's the fascination , with the noisy , Angry Bee's , free hubs ? Every time, there is a bike demo, on GCN, they test the freehub for noise and love it. Personally, I prefer a quiet freehub, the only noise someone is going to hear, is the swishing of my tires, as I fly pass another rider . Thanks. KB
Old 03-23-19, 03:27 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
There is one benefit. You can make slower riders know you are behind them without yelling out or using a bell. Other than that Im not a fan.
Old 03-23-19, 05:13 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
There is one benefit. You can make slower riders know you are behind them without yelling out or using a bell. Other than that Im not a fan.
Thanks, good point. KB
Old 03-24-19, 03:46 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
It’s like loud exhaust on a motorcycle. It’s a display of “coolness”
Old 03-24-19, 05:06 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Bees are cool too, especially thee killer ones from Mexico:

Old 03-24-19, 06:53 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Well, guess I ain't cool. But stealthy KB
Old 03-24-19, 07:17 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Noisy beehive hubs are for losers! Turbo Spoke is what the cool riders roll with.

Last edited by seypat; 03-24-19 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 08:14 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
That's your "HTFU warning". It tells you that you've stopped pedalling.
Old 03-24-19, 09:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
Help me understand , what's the fascination , with the noisy , Angry Bee's , free hubs ? Every time, there is a bike demo, on GCN, they test the freehub for noise and love it. Personally, I prefer a quiet freehub, the only noise someone is going to hear, is the swishing of my tires, as I fly pass another rider . Thanks. KB
I'm with you. Quiet is now cool. Love my set of dead silent OnyxRP hubs. Video of someone else's:

Old 03-24-19, 09:48 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
ooh a dead silent hub!! I could get into that!
Old 03-24-19, 09:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by motosonic
ooh a dead silent hub!! I could get into that!
They're not light weight due to the nature of a sprag clutch....but they're nice hubs. Also blingy. Also MUSA (if that matters to you)

https://onyxrp.com/tech/
Old 03-24-19, 10:30 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I'm with you. Quiet is now cool. Love my set of dead silent OnyxRP hubs. Video of someone else's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLwP4bzf010
Now that's quiet KB
Old 03-24-19, 11:28 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Noisy beehive hubs are for losers! Turbo Spoke is what the cool riders roll with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiXiADMDMDE
Reminds me of this (seen in another thread):

Old 03-24-19, 11:37 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
Most of the high end MTB hubs have quicker engagement by adding lots of teeth. They tend to be noisy, but are effective when using the ratcheting technique in technical terrain.

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
It’s like loud exhaust on a motorcycle. It’s a display of “coolness”
With motorcycles it's about safety on the roadway. You may not see them but you can hear them.

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
That's your "HTFU warning". It tells you that you've stopped pedalling.
Definitely!
Old 03-24-19, 11:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
With motorcycles it's about safety on the roadway. You may not see them but you can hear them.
That's the claim, anyway. In truth, modern car interiors are pretty well insulated against outside noise, and even if your average driver can hear the motorcycle coming nearer, they're not going to locate it soon enough by sound to avoid anything.

Bikers mainly just want to be loud.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-24-19, 12:00 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,511 Times in 2,855 Posts
Definitely!
If that were true, they would point the exhaust pipes forward, so you could hear them coming.
It makes no sense to have the pipes pointed to the rear, so you hear them leaving.
Old 03-24-19, 12:02 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
probably the only good thing.. my industry9 torch hubs are too loud for my liking.... I went back to DT240 on the next 2 wheel sets I purchased because of sound. Also because I share wheels between gravel/road sometimes... the cost of CK and I9 XD conversions free hubs is stupid high...DT Swiss is cheap.
Old 03-24-19, 12:08 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
You guys spend too much time coasting!
Brent
Old 03-24-19, 12:15 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's the claim, anyway. In truth, modern car interiors are pretty well insulated against outside noise, and even if your average driver can hear the motorcycle coming nearer, they're not going to locate it soon enough by sound to avoid anything.

Bikers mainly just want to be loud.
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
If that were true, they would point the exhaust pipes forward, so you could hear them coming.
It makes no sense to have the pipes pointed to the rear, so you hear them leaving.
These quotes make me wonder if you guys actually drive near motorcycles very often. I can hear them when they are in my blind spot, which is exactly where they need to be heard. But as with everything there is always the "hey, look at me" crowd. I'm not a biker so I don't have a dog in this fight. Just passing along the common idea behind loud MC pipes.

I have 2 bikes with DT350 hubs, my road bike has a 36t ratchet and my gravel bike has a 54t ratchet. The 54t is obvously louder than the 36t. They can be made quieter simply by applying a little more grease to the star ratchet when servicing the hub. Pretty simple and effective. I prefer the louder hub noise when riding near hikers as they are more aware of me coming up from behind. The road bike can get annoying when on a century ride but not as much as on shorter time rides. I try to keep the road bike as quiet as I can.
Old 03-24-19, 12:21 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,511 Times in 2,855 Posts
These quotes make me wonder if you guys actually drive near motorcycles very often. I can hear them when they are in my blind spot, which is exactly where they need to be heard. But as with everything there is always the "hey, look at me" crowd. I'm not a biker so I don't have a dog in this fight. Just passing along the common idea behind loud MC pipes.
Well, I am a biker, but I don't feel the need to remove the stock exhaust and replace it with expensive aftermarket junk, just to compensate for a small ego (or other things). In fact, cruising at freeway speed, my engine is less noticeable than the roar of air against my helmet.
Old 03-24-19, 12:27 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

I have 2 bikes with DT350 hubs, my road bike has a 36t ratchet and my gravel bike has a 54t ratchet. The 54t is obvously louder than the 36t. They can be made quieter simply by applying a little more grease to the star ratchet when servicing the hub. Pretty simple and effective. I prefer the louder hub noise when riding near hikers as they are more aware of me coming up from behind. The road bike can get annoying when on a century ride but not as much as on shorter time rides. I try to keep the road bike as quiet as I can.
Simple, and effective, and temporary. Did it to my Bitex hubs...needed some grease every thousand miles or so...6+ times a year. Gets old.
Old 03-24-19, 12:30 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Simple, and effective, and temporary. Did it to my Bitex hubs...needed some grease every thousand miles or so...6+ times a year. Gets old.
It doesn't take much time or effort for the DT Swiss hubs. Not a big deal for me.
Old 03-24-19, 12:33 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Reminds me of this (seen in another thread):

Old 03-24-19, 12:37 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Well, I am a biker, but I don't feel the need to remove the stock exhaust and replace it with expensive aftermarket junk, just to compensate for a small ego (or other things). In fact, cruising at freeway speed, my engine is less noticeable than the roar of air against my helmet.
I wouldn't do it either as I hate the drone noise. But some people feel safer with the loud pipes. Similar to the flashing bike lights during the day. Effective or not people still do it.
Old 03-24-19, 12:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Oh, I'm well familiar. Been hearing "Loud pipes save lives" for years, and it makes some intuitive sense. I just don't think it provides nearly the benefit that motorcyclists think it does. And in the meantime, they're wrecking their own hearing, making them less able to hear other vehicles on the road.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.